Should the EHU charge the engine battery? (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Just went out to MH which had not been started since Tuesday and engine battery was flat, chugged a bit but didn`t start engine, panel showed it as 11.8v.
Started strait away with jump leads and having ran it a bit seems OK, now showing 13.5.

I seem to remember going into MH one day since Tuesday (probably Wednesday) and finding cab radio still on, I didn`t realise it didn`t go off with ignition, so that may have been the cause.

It has been connected to electric all the time, so i asumed that this kept engine as well as hab battery charged, also have solar panel.

I now assume that this is not the case as if the radio was the cause, it has had since last Wednesday to today to re-charge.

Any advice welcome.

Steve

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Not familiar with your van but the control panel will only charge one battery at a time, not both together. There will be some means of switching the charge/habitation supply to the chassis battery. Check the manual.

Rgds
Bill

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Many cab radios go into a standby mode if switched off with the ignition or a single press of the off button. They need to be totally switched off by keeping the button pressed long enough. Alarms can also drain batteries when the van is left standing.

Some van electrics trickle charge the starter battery when on EHU but others don't. Our current van does but our previous one didn't. I fitted a Battery Charge Manager from CAK Tanks to over come the problem. A similar product is the Vanbitz Battery Master. There have been a few threads about those products recently so a search should find them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Not familiar with your van but the control panel will only charge one battery at a time, not both together. There will be some means of switching the charge/habitation supply to the chassis battery. Check the manual.

Rgds
Bill

Thanks Bill, tried the manual not a lot of use with pictures of a generic panel, most of the buttons on mine don`t seem to do anything at all.

I assumed that once hab battery was full it would switch over automatically.

Steve

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Usually Swift motorhomes can charge the cab battery on EHU. Switch on the control panel above the habitatition door and select vehical battery. If you have a multimeter check the battery voltage it should be 13,5 to 14.4 volts if its charging.::bigsmile:

dennismartin

Free Member
Jul 26, 2011
hull
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
im a newbie
ive run a switched trickle charge lead off hab batteries. just switch on if cab battery is getting low and let the solar panels keep them topped up

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
the battery master does what it says on the tin

Many cab radios go into a standby mode if switched off with the ignition or a single press of the off button. They need to be totally switched off by keeping the button pressed long enough. Alarms can also drain batteries when the van is left standing.

Some van electrics trickle charge the starter battery when on EHU but others don't. Our current van does but our previous one didn't. I fitted a Battery Charge Manager from CAK Tanks to over come the problem. A similar product is the Vanbitz Battery Master. There have been a few threads about those products recently so a search should find them.

We have a battery master fitted on our RV and it works.. we had a flat battery before it was fitted.. but it did blow the fuse once and went flat, but since then OK.

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back