Hymer S Class 1988- 95 - do you own one? (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Have just bought a new roof light dome (the large one near the front) from Hymer and on opening the box have become concerned that it looks a bit large but maybe sitting in a box it would?
What concerns me most is the holes in the dome for the pivot gear are 25cm from one end and 6cm from the other.

Our MH is a 1992 S670 on a Mercedes 410D 4.6t chassis, although I suspect that the whole range had the same or similar roof light?

I have photos very kindly sent by John and Joan of their roof light, it has one winder handle in the center and that's it.

For some reason I think ours has two winder handles, but I can't remember and the MH is in France, we are in the UK.

I want to try to sort this before we return to France in 5 days time so can some kind soul please desribe how the winder mechanism works and whether on some models two handels were used in place of one. Also where do the pivot points fit to the dome?

The length of the dome as it sits on the roof is 116cm long, the opening in roof is 80cm long which is a massive overlap.

Thanks

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Mine is a 1987 660...

I will have a look for you tomorrow...

Only one handle on mine...

If yours is not right for your van but alright for mine I will buy it from you (if I can afford it)... mine has been stuck together after a big break... (a break in maybe)

JJ :Cool:

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Mine is a 1987 660...

I will have a look for you tomorrow...

Only one handle on mine...

[HI]If yours is not right for your van but alright for mine I will buy it from you (if I can afford it)... [/HI]mine has been stuck together after a big break... (a break in maybe)

I'll let you know JJ and of course I'd send a detailed description too if we get that far. Don't have the price to hand and as it was bought with outher things I can't remember the specific price, but the invoice is around and I'll look that out, only got it a week ago.

Our original dome had strengthening ribs across the top in the form of a diagonal cross, this is a flatish top surface and feels a little thicker but no ribs.

I have photos of the original dome but of course they are on a computer in France and we are in the UK, so apart from my memory from over 2 months ago standing on the roof on a blustery day I don't have much else to go on.
I think I remember that the dome was lifted by four arms that were operated by gears, maybe that's why I think it has two winders?

Brownhills had this in stock and did advise that the dome had been superceded, so didn't expect it to look identical but do expect it to fit though.

Thanks for taking a look tomorrow

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Have just bought a new roof light dome (the large one near the front) from Hymer and on opening the box have become concerned that it looks a bit large but maybe sitting in a box it would?
What concerns me most is the holes in the dome for the pivot gear are 25cm from one end and 6cm from the other.

Our MH is a 1992 S670 on a Mercedes 410D 4.6t chassis, although I suspect that the whole range had the same or similar roof light?

I have photos very kindly sent by John and Joan of their roof light, it has one winder handle in the center and that's it.

For some reason I think ours has two winder handles, but I can't remember and the MH is in France, we are in the UK.

I want to try to sort this before we return to France in 5 days time so can some kind soul please desribe how the winder mechanism works and whether on some models two handels were used in place of one. Also where do the pivot points fit to the dome?

The length of the dome as it sits on the roof is 116cm long, the opening in roof is 80cm long which is a massive overlap.

Thanks

The dome is not central over the opening when closed the front edge is close, but as the dome goes up it becomes centred when it is fully open.

John

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Sadly it looks as if you have the correct roof light... :Sad:

No new roof light for me then...

My opening is 80 cms X 50 cms

The actual cover is 113/114 cms long (as measured from the top of a ladder leaning over...)

See photos for handle and stays etc...

Attachments

• rooflight 1.jpg
    rooflight 1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 49
  • rooflight 2.jpg
    rooflight 2.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 48
  • rooflight 5.jpg
    rooflight 5.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 48
  • rooflight 6.jpg
    rooflight 6.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 47
  • rooflight 4.jpg
    rooflight 4.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Sadly it looks as if you have the correct roof light... :Sad:

No new roof light for me then...

My opening is 80 cms X 50 cms

The actual cover is 113/114 cms long (as measured from the top of a ladder leaning over...)

See photos for handle and stays etc...

Thanks for the photos JJ, they are a big help and along with other information here explain how and why.

Our original dome is a different profile which gives it a different look, but the new one looks as yours does in all respects that I can see.

I do have the price for you though if that helps. The total for the dome in opaque finish with washers and clips totals £221.86 including VAT, and I collected ours.
I did check out the alternative roof light from Heki and this was an amount cheaper to replace the dome than buy an assembly from Heki.

We are changing ours as a corner had a crack which looks as thought a branch or similar was to blame, but it had cracked in a corner and didn't leak directly into the interior.
When on the roof I pressed against the dome lightly with out stretched fingers andf a crack appeared diagonally across the dome, it was so brittle.
I guess that is normal after 20 years of UV light so we decided to go with a new dome.
We also bought the flyscreen and blind assembly complete as there was no screen at all, this came out at £146 inc VAT for the original version of pull one way for the fly screen and the other for the blind.

The supplier was Brownhills at Newark and I would recommend Liz in stores and for the next few weeks Darren too.

Hope some of this helps you and thanks again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back