Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have just been on the road with a fellow Funster who has one of those "sun seeking" solar panels (135watt?) gadgets.

It is great fun... you hear it whirr up in to postion and it tracks the sun through the day and it folds itself up when the sun switches off at night.

We checked its amps with my, less sophisticated, system of three 75/85 watt panels stuck down on the top of my roof and on each occasion (at different times of day) mine gave a reading higher than his.

Not scientific I agree as the readouts came from different meters etc etc but given that his set up cost two and a half times more than mine I suspect I am getting more "Amps per Pound" than he is...

JJ

PS and I am not using any of that precious leccy on a sun seeking motor...:winky:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Just a test...

Just about two years ago I posted this thread on Fun reporting the difference between the cost of an fancy automatic sun seeking solar panel thingy and three panels fitted flat on a roof...

408 views and NO replies... :Sad:

I wonder what happens if I "re-post" the thread now in 2012... :winky:

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I have just been on the road with a fellow Funster who has one of those "sun seeking" solar panels (135watt?) gadgets.

It is great fun... you hear it whirr up in to postion and it tracks the sun through the day and it folds itself up when the sun switches off at night.

We checked its amps with my, less sophisticated, system of three 75/85 watt panels stuck down on the top of my roof and on each occasion (at different times of day) mine gave a reading higher than his.

Not scientific I agree as the readouts came from different meters etc etc but given that his set up cost two and a half times more than mine I suspect I am getting more "Amps per Pound" than he is...

JJ

PS and I am not using any of that precious leccy on a sun seeking motor...:winky:
so you got 3 75 watt panels =225 watt,and he got 1 135 watt panel=135 watt and you are getting more power,hmmm i wonder why??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
so you got 3 75 watt panels =225 watt,and he got 1 135 watt panel=135 watt and you are getting more power,hmmm i wonder why??

Once again I failed to get my point across successfully Chris... sorry...

My point was his system COST him two and a half times MORE than mine...

(Hence the title of the thread... "Value for Money" and not "Which System Creates The Most Amps"?)

Now edited it to make it clearer (I hope)...

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I had a huge solar thread on Facts about 5 years ago. I had two 120Watt solar panels and a couple of people were on about the trackers. I gave up on the debate after a bit as they didn't seem to get it. I had spent £900 on my system the trackers back then were only 80 watt and about £3K if memory serves. I was saying I was getting more power over the whole day they were saying but they get more in the morning and evening. I said but I get more power over the whole day they said they get more in the morning and evening................. :Doh::Doh::Doh::shout::shout::shout::shout::shout::shout:

80Watt panels are now £110. 3 of those and it is my feeling that you will get more power over the whole day except in the deepest part of winter......

The other thing that amuses me is when people buy a solar panel and get it installed right up against a satellite dish or aircon unit making it useless :whatthe:

I am totally with you on this one JJ.....

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

My point was his system COST him two and a half times MORE than mine...

Now edited it to make it clearer (I hope)...

Totally agree..... JJ ,:thumb:

Provided you have enough roof real estate for the extra panels ..... :winky:

must have missed your post first time around ..

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I suppose you should factor in the weight issue, the gubbins must weigh a fair bit and therefore have an effect on your mpg, there must be also an optimal power to weight issue, its ok having 1,200w of solar if the mpg of your van drops to 6 mpg.

I suspect it would take a complex formula to work it all out, mileage, weight, cost of blah blah...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I suppose you should factor in the weight issue, the gubbins must weigh a fair bit and therefore have an effect on your mpg, there must be also an optimal power to weight issue, its ok having 1,200w of solar if the mpg of your van drops to 6 mpg.

I suspect it would take a complex formula to work it all out, mileage, weight, cost of blah blah...

Thin flexible solar panels are they way forward ..

lightweight, waterproof, no added wind resistance .. can be stuck directly to the roof, will flex around curves, can be walked on .. and discrete ..

once the price falls we will wonder why we ever used big heavy glass panels..

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

lightweight, waterproof, no added wind resistance .. can be stuck directly to the roof, will flex around curves, can be walked on .. and discrete ..

As you say a little pricey at the moment

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I think the only thing that this proves JJ is

you have a mate:ROFLMAO:
only kidding I know you have several:Eeek:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

The price of flexible panels is likely to drop through the floor any day now - cos I've just had a glass one fitted :roflmto:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
A tracker will get more when the sun is low, especially morning and evening but as JJ says its not Amps at any particular time of day that matters, its how many amp-hours per day (after all you are storing it) and the fixed panels are better value for money.

Flexible panels have many good points but will lose efficiency due to overheating (that's why you leave an air gap under normal panels), and are probably not transferable once stuck down.

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
wait a minute wait a minute when this pans into the right direction it gathers loads of amps.....however the motor that drives it there needs a 3 hour charge before it works.....ill just move me van round in the suns arch and youll see just how good they are......ermm can I have a jump start please

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back