Anyone got an alternate winter destination ? (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It looks like it might be the end of the good times at Zahora ( for us ) as boss man talking about charging for electric on top of the price of parking up ( which went up € 30 a month this year )
Sooo, it is either finding an alternate destination or maybe even dumping the motorhome and fly somewhere for winter instead..

Anyone got any suggestions for a destination that is not too cold, a maximum of 1700 miles from the UK, have WiFi and works out at less monthly costs

It could be somewhere that charges electric as an extra providing :

Gas is easily obtained and not miles off site ( so we could use gas heating )

The monthly rental charges were CONSIDERABLY less than Zahora..

Dont get me wrong, love the place here, love the people, but like most folk, there is a budget to consider

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
If the weather good solars fine for me but not keen on way prices are going up........:Sad:

Maybe the sheer number of Brits a Zahora makes putting the price up easier?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We may well head for Algarve next Feb/ March but are also planning for a fly drive for 3 weeks in Florida Sept this year. :thumb::Smile:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well some bits of Morocco aren't more than 1700m because it's 1532 from Thetford to Melilla (Ceuta, car ferry from Almeria) and Maroc camping is sposed to be cheap.

What do you actually want to pay? Euros 11.75 a night any good? - without taking the ferry! Link Removed

I know C de G isn't exactly in the heart of the Almerian metropolis but I haven't looked at eg Roquetas etc. There have got to be other places around that price.

Deleted User
It looks like it might be the end of the good times at Zahora ( for us ) as boss man talking about charging for electric on top of the price of parking up ( which went up € 30 a month this year )
Sooo, it is either finding an alternate destination or maybe even dumping the motorhome and fly somewhere for winter instead..

Anyone got any suggestions for a destination that is not too cold, a maximum of 1700 miles from the UK, have WiFi and works out at less monthly costs

Dont get me wrong, love the place here, love the people, but like most folk, there is a budget to consider

€250 a month for 3months, €300 a month for 1 month, €8 or €10 a night including electricity.It's been cold for the last few weeks, lots of electric heaters no wonder he is thinking of meters.
I doubt if you will find any where as nice much cheaper even if they do start metering the electricity. From what I have read there has been considerable investment on that site( open to correction ) even the Spanish are in business to make a profit.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It's been cold for the last few weeks, lots of electric heaters no wonder he is thinking of meters.
even the Spanish are in business to make a profit.

Exactly what we were discussing earlier, we are on hookup right now and mentioned thatif we had a space heater would save on the gas:Smile: Most of those vans down there for winter will have those fan space heaters and when they are all on for 3 hours in the morning and maybe 4 hours in the evening even a small 1200w thing must burn a few Euros everyday.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sorry but that info is out of date.. It is now € 330 per month and ( I think ) € 270 for 3 months plus

While it is true everyone has to make a profit that does not concern me in any way.. My concern is what I pay.. I have already been told of two possible options, one just 70 miles or so from here, towards Malaga which is currently € 200 a month for up to three months but has not got the community we all enjoy so much here ...........

During the summer ( apparently ) the place is absolutely full to heaving here, and a huge amount are reported to have electric bbq's going, plus all the usual paraphernalia.. so why a 1/3rd site should cause constant trip outs ( large sections of the camp blacked out ) and moans about too much electric being used ( even on a day like today when the weather was warm and I should think hardly anyone had any heating on )

Morocco is a no no mate.. Might as well stay here and pay the extra for leccy as pay a couple of hundred beer tokens for a ferry ! :Sad:

As a by the by, IF we do return here our daughter and family will not come down to visit because the advertised price on the web site for a chalet was €33.00 a night.. They tried to book but it kept failing.... When they checked out they were charged € 45.00 a night.. All in all, while I appreciate every one is feeling the pinch, there is only so much pinching from me and my family I am willing to accept !! :winky:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
What are they charging at Zahora? Is the leccy optional?

It quite possibly is Jim, but ............

Without hookup we would be cooking and heating with gas.. I have an Alugas system so it would mean downing the awning and safari room, and all the garbage within at least once a week ( our blown air heating is REALLY greedy on gas ) to drive several miles to refill.. not really an option to be honest
I would be interested to hear from any one at Marjal who is cooking with electric and maybe using a small fan heater, who can give me a rough idea of how much they are spending on electric per week or month ?

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003

So, spill the beans John, who actually said this. The rise this year was €1 per nite, not a lot in my opinion - 83p at today's rate. €300 amonth for 2 months stay is €10 a nite (£8.30) a fantastic rate if it includes 16A electric.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Maybe its time to pool our buying power and have a big winter rally somewhere. The C&CC have run them for years, they get a 3 or 4 month rate and their members can turn up for any time within the dates. I think Carefree run it for them at a profit. So I'm sure with our collective buying power we could get a good deal somewhere in the sun, get the right place at a good price and I'm sure we could get quite a few numbers. I have a few ideas, I'll look into it and see what I can turn up. :thumb:

Ideally we want somewhere with the best chance of good weather
Leccy, but the option not to have it
A silly long term rate :Smile:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Maybe its time to pool our buying power and have a big winter rally somewhere. The C&CC have run them for years, they get a 3 or 4 month rate and their members can turn up for any time within the dates. I think Carefree run it for them at a profit. So I'm sure with our collective buying power we could get a good deal somewhere in the sun, get the right place at a good price and I'm sure we could get quite a few numbers. I have a few ideas, I'll look into it and see what I can turn up. :thumb:

Ideally we want somewhere with the best chance of good weather
Leccy, but the option not to have it
A silly long term rate :Smile:

Sounds good Jim, we would be up for it. Depends where.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sounds good Jim, we would be up for it. Depends where.

A campsite will give keener prices if they think they will gain or lose a whole rally over winter. has to be better than all those individual conversations/negotiations where they risk losing the odd booking

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
dont you have a Spanish regulator fitting so that you can use Spanish bottled gas, its cheap usually around €13 for a 15kg bottle. The Gas lorries are round usually at least twice a week or the local petrol station usually sells the same in a silver barrel container (looks like a beer barrel).
fraid i think the rate is very good still compared to some sites over there

patyogi

Free Member
Feb 8, 2012
Deal, Kent
Funster No
MH
self convert, left hooker
Exp
too long
Trip of yer life

Any one up for it....

Dover to Ancona, Italy, 900 miles.
Superfast ferry from above to Patra, Greece.
Patra to Kalamata, Pelopenese. Greece.. 200 miles.

Done it 10 years ago.
Costs are not too back with the Euro as it is.

Kalamata is as far south as Golden mile in Spain.

If you take of early October you will beat the winter. Must admit the sun is more hit & miss than Spain, bonus is lovely peeps. new scenery.:thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Any one up for it....

Dover to Ancona, Italy, 900 miles.
Superfast ferry from above to Patra, Greece.
Patra to Kalamata, Pelopenese. Greece.. 200 miles.

Done it 10 years ago.
Costs are not too back with the Euro as it is.

Kalamata is as far south as Golden mile in Spain.

If you take of early October you will beat the winter. Must admit the sun is more hit & miss than Spain, bonus is lovely peeps. new scenery.:thumb:

But look at the difference in temp. That is why why we DO Espana. If there was an alternative (without crossing to Africa) we would do it.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
africa rules for winter sun.but even then you really are restricted to the west coast only.
you must have been following dave and johns travels .its the way for winter sun.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
€250 a month for 3months, €300 a month for 1 month, €8 or €10 a night including electricity.It's been cold for the last few weeks, lots of electric heaters no wonder he is thinking of meters.
I doubt if you will find any where as nice much cheaper even if they do start metering the electricity. From what I have read there has been considerable investment on that site( open to correction ) even the Spanish are in business to make a profit.

I would prefer all sites to charge each motorhome / caravan / tent , per unit of electricity. :hardhat: :getmecoat:

The times we've been on a commercial site and seen electric heaters in caravan awnings , even tents blaring out through the day. Let alone night.
If someone in a big RV with a washing machine , tumble dryer , chandeliers :winky: , why should they expect to pay the same as someone like us, for eg . We rarely hook up using solar and have a good battery set up and diesel heating .
We often only get a pitch a couple of pounds cheaper for not hooking up.
Which seems daft , in the cold Winter months , as we dont use any at all.
Infact we have bought an electric fan heater to use instead of the Webasto. For such occasions. Cant beat em join em :Blush:

Lower the pitch price and charge for each unit used. Im sure people would be more energy efficient if that was the case.

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Electric prices

Here on camping Raco they started charging for electric from the first of January for any one who arrived after first of November, before we got 4 kilowatts included in the tarriff
The campsite is still full and when some one asked at reception about the extra charges they said it was a government thing and campsites now had to charge for leccy.:cry:
If I can find out about taking dogs to Morroco I think that's the way we'll go next year.
Alan:thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Bloody hell! what type of aircraft are you putting your motorhome on ??

barry:Smile:

Was going to hire an RV over there but it is expensive . Have done twice before but at that time it was 2 dollars to the pound :Smile:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Jaws you know what these site owners are like look at Jim bit of investment:ROFLMAO: tiny bit of work:ROFLMAO: and straight away the money comes rolling in making him rich:Eeek:

( if you did not get it Jim I guess I am now banned:ROFLMAO:)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Well some bits of Morocco aren't more than 1700m because it's 1532 from Thetford to Melilla (Ceuta, car ferry from Almeria) and Maroc camping is sposed to be cheap.

What do you actually want to pay? Euros 11.75 a night any good? - without taking the ferry! Link Removed

I know C de G isn't exactly in the heart of the Almerian metropolis but I haven't looked at eg Roquetas etc. There have got to be other places around that price.

We almost went to Roquetas de mar a couple of weeks ago, drove past the site, its not a pleasant area, polytunnel country :Smile: and went on to Torrevieja :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We spent the winter 06/07 from Oct to Jan at Camping Roquetas .. leccy was included in the pitch price .. you could have 5, 10 or 15amp .. cost us about e900 for four months..

Just check their 2012 tariffs and they now charge separately for leccy at 35c per kwh

Pitch price for 2 adults + motorhome for 60 days or over works out at €242 per month

Link Removed

so, let's say you heated and cooked with leccy

1kw fan for say 2 hrs morning and 4 evening = 6kwh per day
cooking say 2 hrs at 2kw = 4 kwh per day
Total 10 kwh @ 35c = €3.50 per day x 30 = €105

pitch fee of €242 + €105 = €347 per month

It is much cheaper using gas .. and as suggested you can buy a Spanish bottle and exchange on site at Roquetas..

Statistically, Almeria gets the driest, warmest, Spanish winter weather ..
When we were there people were arriving who had travelled from the Algarve to escape the rain ..

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
So, spill the beans John, who actually said this. The rise this year was €1 per nite, not a lot in my opinion - 83p at today's rate. €300 amonth for 2 months stay is €10 a nite (£8.30) a fantastic rate if it includes 16A electric.

Have to agree:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back