End of batteries (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
'It's a really exciting way of taking power from other sources than what we would normally think of.'

Prof. Allen is obviously not a Professor of English, or he has Ernie Wise to write his speeches.:ROFLMAO:

His idea could work well for watches, and perhaps mobile phones.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
An interesting one, why ? Because just up the road a farmer was successfully prosecuted for stealing electricity from the BBC. He was near the Droitwich transmitter and laid out a long aerial which gathered enough energy to light his pig sheds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Although this bunch have decided to try and patent it, rf energy fields have been used for years to power some things. The military have all sorts of equipment that utilises it. There is no way it can be used to power vehicles or start them though, as without a large enough collection device, the power available is very low

Its interesting though as most people dont realise the possibilities, unlike the farmer mentioned above caught harvesting energy from the BBC's transmitter

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I know you are 'South of Manchester' Brian, and obviously further south than the farmer (as he's just 'up' the road) - but the Droitwich transmitter is one helluva long way south of Manchester!

:ROFLMAO:

HOW long was the cable ????? :Eeek:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I can't see how this could work even for mobile phones. The amount of RF energy transmitted and the power used by the processor in a phone would far exceed what could be harvested via RF.

It may work with a monstrously sized arial. But you couldn't fit that in your pocket:ROFLMAO:

And for watches, why bother when mechanical action chargers work so well.

I think this is pie in the sky myself. We already have inductive charging which is about as good as it will get without batteries or cables.....

I can't think of any common device that could make use of this?

sabconsulting

Free Member
Jan 22, 2011
High Wycombe
Funster No
MH
Demountable truck camper
Exp
Since 2010
I think this sort of technology is aimed at powering small devices in the home - it wouldn't be any good for devices that use quite a lot of power for extended periods like a mobile phone, or were used away from sources of RF (i.e. away from the home)

An interesting one, why ? Because just up the road a farmer was successfully prosecuted for stealing electricity from the BBC. He was near the Droitwich transmitter and laid out a long aerial which gathered enough energy to light his pig sheds.

I'm surprised they managed to prosecute unless it was on the grounds he didn't have a TV license for what could be deemed television receiving equipment (even though it doesn't display a picture). The exception might be if he built a huge antenna in the air near the transmitter which was in effect creating an RF shadow and reducing the signal strength for consumers in the lee of it. If not then to prosecute him for using the RF power that would otherwise have just been absorbed and lost in his buildings / land seems like me suing my neighbours because my lawn sprinkler oversprayed onto their lawn and they therefore "stole" that overspray to water their lawn.

Steve.

Johno

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
Kent
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30+ with caravanning & camping
Who remembers crystal radio sets (this gives away my age):RollEyes: I'm sure they worked on the same principle with the power coming from a really long aerial to work. I made one when I was about ten years old and surprisingly for me it actually worked:thumb: picking up the "home service" a treat, but it did need about 50 feet of wire aerial to function. ::bigsmile:

John.

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
I'm surprised they managed to prosecute unless it was on the grounds he didn't have a TV license for what could be deemed television receiving equipment (even though it doesn't display a picture).
Steve.

Small (off-topic) point...

You don't need a TV licence just because you own equipment capable of receiving TV...

Regards

Bryan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back