Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
General enquiry.

If you have a motorhome and the dealer has not done what they promised and you (the punter) have to drive the van back and forth to get it fixed, are you entitled to claim for travelling etc?

Just wondering..

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
we have been back and forth to numerous dealers and have asked and never got...compensation for fuel or otherwise, no curtesy car when they had van for a week either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Reading between the lines I suspect we are soon going to hear from some one that has.

If not i suspect a dealer is going to wish he had:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Me and Sundance are leading the way, he has just taken the whole Scottish budget.

They have to remember, PUNTER is KING..

ShiftZZ a sleeping Welsh Dragon who breaths fire, and the vapours of Hell and takes no prisoners.. So you have been warned, Mrs ShiftZZ is even more brutal..

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
In this day & age, when customer loyalty rules and the dealer realises the speed of the news of poor service and also knows that the cost of attracting new customers compared to keeping existing ones, I am flabbergasted how many times I read this sort of post.

Admittedly satisfied customers tell a couple of their friends / colleagues but dissatisfied customers attempt to tell the world.

The real answer is not to simply satisfy your customer by achieving their expectations but to exceed their expectations so much that they are astounded that they haven't had this sort of service before.

It costs a lot; but compared to a dissatisfied customer it is worth it.

The difference can be seen by looking at the length of time this company stays in business.

Only traders giving customer care second to none will survive.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
General enquiry.

If you have a motorhome and the dealer has not done what they promised and you (the punter) have to drive the van back and forth to get it fixed, are you entitled to claim for travelling etc?
Just wondering..

If you get messed about you should claim, as under the Sale of Goods Act, I believe you can.

If it is a return to get something fixed that has gone wrong after a period of time, depends on the dealer/customer relationship and standard of response to resolving a problem in some respects.

Peter

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you have a motorhome and the dealer has not done what they promised and you (the punter) have to drive the van back and forth to get it fixed, are you entitled to claim for travelling etc?..

Oh dear, Compensation Culture.

Choose your next dealer very carefully Mr Shifty, it may be your last.

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
trading standards

Probably depends on the terms of the warranty but might be worth asking trading standards - or telling the dealer that you are going to do so.
don t get your hopes up trading standards didn t get me the result i wanted it was Mr Justice from the Sunday Sun the way forward if your having problems is to get the papers involved:Smile:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Some quite large dealerships have gone to the wall in the past because if you googled them you could see lots of complaints about them I dare not mention names but I am sure you get the idea.I have a local dealer that once made me PAY to get a blocked Truma reg fixed and they would get me my money back under warranty the caravan was not 2 years old.After many promises of a refund I wrote off the money but not the fact that they were robbing B******* the next couple of times I spent money they lost the price of a new motorhome in fact hell would freeze over before I would spend any money at a certain caravan and leisure in shepshed
and neither would anyone I tell about them as they never gave me any money back it was about 50 pounds. the best 50 pounds I have ever spent as I know now how they treat a customer when it comes to aftersales.

Last edited:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
When we bought our '91 MH we were assured everything would be thoroughly checked and if necessary fixed/replaced.
It was - to the extent that the owner of the site phoned to apologise that he would have to delay collection for a day, maybe two, as he was not happy with the functioning of the Truma. (turned out the previous owner had removed the flue outlet from the roof and put it in a locker, and blocked the resulting opening :Doh: causing it to cut out after a couple of minutes).
A full 6 month warranty was included, the dealer's own warranty which covered everything from cambelt to fridge seals, even lightbulbs.
Full service: new cambelt/tensioners, disc pads,one disc,new pump in the water tank, new mot ...
On our numerous visits to this dealer while we were waiting for the right (for us) MH to come along we'd been assured whatever we eventually decided on would be as near perfect as possible whatever the age or price.
We could've got a similar MH privately for quite a bit less but decided to minimize possible later off road time by believing him.
We've been living/travelling fulltime in 'Delyth' for a year now - nothing has fallen off/broken/stopped working in that time. No need for any warranty work. (He very happily attended to adjustment of the rear brake shoes after about 4 months, no quibble).

Anyway, IMO if a fairly small privately owned 2nd-hand MH dealer (also supplies new, to order) can offer such service I would expect at least as good service from a big firm/main dealer/new or used. We would certainly not be happy with any of the hassles we hear about from so many other owners, on here and elsewhere... it would go straight back and we'd stay with it until sorted.

Thanks to Alan of Rolling Motorhomes, Haverfordwest :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not in that sense Brian but we have had our problems, but at the end of the day, everyone ended up happy.
Peter

I asked a simple question "has anyone claimed against you", so the answer is "NO"

Everyone has problems, I didn't bother asking that question.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We purchased from a major dealer and any little niggles were sorted quickly and efficiently, so no problems. I did check reviews of that dealer first, which were mixed, but negotiated a deal with my eyes wide open and the good after sales service would encourage me to consider buying again. The primary driver is the price, with the various consumer legislation there as a back up.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
we bought ours from a dealer near us in essex just inside the m 25

never kept the promises made

didnt help when the engine failed said claim on the insurance supplied.

when we were looking a little while back to change the van

went to a dealer that was selling elddis vans off the a 12 essex

spoke at length and was considering an exchange

when i noticed a sign

that said they were attached

to the firm we originally purchased our currant van from

i asked him if that was correct he said yes why

i said i will not trade with an accomplice of that firm

and left

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
We bought a new Autoctuise Startrail 3 years ago from Baldwins in Halifax (we bought our previous van from them) in the April...4 months later the charging unit packed up we took it back to em explained what was wrong so they got in touch with Swift to complete a warranty repair..It took 8..yes 8 weeks to get said job done...Now I know the service manager at Baldwins as he is a personal friend..he told me that Swift were dragging their feet over it..I contacted Swift..they said it was Baldwins dragging their feet...However Baldwins fitted me a Temporary charging unit...had they not I would have had an unusable van for eight weeks..Swift even emailled me to say the job is in hand!!
At the end of the day you buy a van from a dealer they should do the repairs...if you buy a car..if it breaks down you don't go to the manufacturers you go to the dealer...your contract is with them you pay the cash to the dealer the onus is on them to stand by what they say or promise they will do......Sale of Goods Act..Goods fit for Use...If not replace or refund...

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
[HI]Its how the problems are dealt with that sorts the wheat from the chaff[/HI]

Precisely what I was writing about earlier.

When a customer tells you that they were blissfully unaware of real customer care right up to the point when they need it, that's what makes the difference.

When a customer has a fault or a problem and the supplying dealer deals with it quickly, fairly and with courtesy and then goes the extra mile by filling your tank with diesel or supplying a courtesy vehicle or cleaning your vehicle or all of the above, that is what I mean about exceeding customers expectations. These dealers will survive, the others will not and they are out there, you have to find them and tell your friends about them.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Me and Sundance are leading the way, he has just taken the whole Scottish budget.

They have to remember, PUNTER is KING..

ShiftZZ a sleeping Welsh Dragon who breaths fire, and the vapours of Hell and takes no prisoners.. So you have been warned, Mrs ShiftZZ is even more brutal..

Ahh there lies the point.
They don`t appear to agree with the Punter is King from what we have read and learnt since buying our motorhome the majority don`t give a monkeys about the punter, niether do the buggers that make them.

Last summer a guy I was talking to had a 2 wk old Autotrail Arapaho, all the electrics had failed, he phoned the place he bought it from. they told him to phone Autotrail, he phoned Autotrail, they told him it was a Sargent ec325 power supply and suggested he phone Sargent.

Can you imagine paying £70.000 +for a car and the alternator packing up and then have the company you bought it off saying oh yeah that`s a Bosch alternator give them a phone...

How come the motorhome trading laws and standards are so different from the car trade??

Why oh why do we put up with this shabby standard of service?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Why oh why do we put up with this shabby standard of service?

Basically because people choose to spend their money with firms that do not have the technical knowledge of the product or the where withall to sort out problems should they arise.

Sorry but it is true.

Peter

Apr 30, 2008
aldridge
Funster No
MH
waiting
Exp
8yrs
Never had any problem with the Dealer I've dealt with for the last 6 years.
Always put enough diesel in motorhome to get me home(160 miles plus).
I've only been up once for things to be done and they gave me 3/4s of my cost for
diesel to get there and back (same day).
I had to go up last year to have some damage repaired on my motorhome,they
loaned me another motorhome to come back home in with enough diesel in to get
me home and back up to pick my motorhome when it was repaired.they also said if
I wanted to use it for anythink I could.
I am having another motorhome of them in March,they have already sent a driver
down 3 weeks ago to pick my motorhome up so that my extra's could be took
off ready to be put on my new one,they will pick me up when my new van is
ready and most likely put diesel in new one so I can get home.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Now I know the service manager at Baldwins as he is a personal friend..he told me that Swift were dragging their feet over it..I contacted Swift..they said it was Baldwins dragging their feet...However Baldwins fitted me a Temporary charging unit...had they not I would have had an unusable van for eight weeks..Swift even emailled me to say the job is in hand!!

Oh dear.. theres that same name again and exactly the same complaints..

As I have said in other posts, I would have to be REALLY desperate before even thinking about buying a Swift.. Quite obviously they have no concept of customer service.. and quite probably, judging by the amount of times we hear of this sort of thing, simply do not give a tinkers cuss once they have a sale made............

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Basically because people choose to spend their money with firms that do not have the technical knowledge of the product or the where withall to sort out problems should they arise.

Sorry but it is true.

Peter

Hi Peter, point taken onboard but would say that the guy I was writing about with the Arapaho bought it from a major dealership.
His first phone call back to the company on finding the fault was answered by the secretary telling him that they wern`t taking any bookings for warranty work for 6 weeks.
Again that is from a major Autotrail dealership to a customer that has spent £70.000+ on the flagship of their current range of motorhomes.

Not the best of customer relation exercises but also is a story so often heard.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
STCYR said "Full service: new cambelt/tensioners, disc pads,one disc,new pump in the water tank, new mot ..."

I'm more than a little concerned about the ONE brake disc being replaced as they should ALWAYS be replaced in pairs! Just seems a bit of a penny pinching deal to only replace one, discs come in pairs from my suppliers anyway.

As for compo for travelling to a dealer for warranty work I have mixed feelings, on the one hand everything should have been A1, tickety boo but we all know things go wrong. Nobody made you buy from a dealer 160 (or whatever) miles away though so why should the dealer foot the bill for your travelling?

Purely as an example, If you buy a telly from Asda and it goes wrong you take it back to the store, do you ask them to reimburse your travelling costs?

D.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yes you can

Leaving aside the issue of if a you deal with a good or bad dealer.. If you have contract then you can expect the goods to comply with the Sale of Goods Act - fit for purpose. If you cannot resolve the issue with the dealer.. just go to the small claims court. It is amazing ow quickly a summons can get the attention of the company when they face leal action.

Bad publicity does have an effect as we all know from my own recent dealings regarding some batteries. The money was refunded and eventually the batteries were delivered free of charge as compensation.

But anyone that has a contract for goods does have the protection of the law, and that includes your 'reasonable' out of pocket expenses in getting the matter resolved.

Bob

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Peter, point taken onboard but would say that the guy I was writing about with the Arapaho bought it from a major dealership.
His first phone call back to the company on finding the fault was answered by the secretary telling him that they wern`t taking any bookings for warranty work for 6 weeks.
Again that is from a major Autotrail dealership to a customer that has spent £70.000+ on the flagship of their current range of motorhomes.
Not the best of customer relation exercises but also is a story so often heard.

I can guess what dealer that was ! as for taking bookings for warranty work, what a load of b@@@@@@s.

Within reason it should take PRIORITY.

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back