Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Did it for the first time, thoroughly enjoyed it, it was hot and steamy and left me feeling like i want more!

Ok, calm down, we used the MH for the first time last night, not the best weather to make your debut as a funster but oh well.

We drove from Essex to Leeds after work last night and arrived on site at 8.30pm. Things went really well until......I had to change the gas bottle at midnight when I woke up freezing and it was minus 12 outside! :Eeek:

We didn't use the water system for fear of it freezing so used a Jerry can instead, that worked out ok, we just needed to pour any excess down the sink, or so I thought, thats when i realised the waste pipe under the MH was frozen! :shout:

Never mind, bailed it out, lesson learned. We packed up ready to drive to the memorial service we were going to and guess what, the engine battery was flat, even though we were on hook up, luckily I had a jump pack so got started and off we went.

After the service it was off to the local for a bit of a get together, came out, got started, got stuck in the snow, fortunately a friend had a shovel in the boot of his car, at least someone was prepared, by now I'm feeling a bit of a failure! :Blush:

Anyway, i'm back home now, cant wait to do it again......:thumb:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> Lost my viginity last night

Hell of a headline.

>>
We drove from Essex to Leeds

Your sphincter must have been going half-a-crown - sixpence at one horrendous rate.

>> it was minus 12 outside!

This was Leeds.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Absolutely brilliant! Been there, done that - even more fun next time!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
You have experienced some of the pitfalls of motorhoming and lived through it..........can't be bad, so glad you enjoyed yourselves.

That's a couple of lessons learned, lots more to go but it's all part of the fun:thumb: and the best part is unlike some other life experiences the excitement doesn't wear off:winky:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It really is fun :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: every one a little adventure ::bigsmile:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Yes Brian we have been on a good one for the last month in Spain , great fun ::bigsmile:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Did it for the first time, thoroughly enjoyed it, it was hot and steamy and left me feeling like i want more!

Ok, calm down, we used the MH for the first time last night, not the best weather to make your debut as a funster but oh well.

We drove from Essex to Leeds after work last night and arrived on site at 8.30pm. Things went really well until......I had to change the gas bottle at midnight when I woke up freezing and it was minus 12 outside! :Eeek:

We didn't use the water system for fear of it freezing so used a Jerry can instead, that worked out ok, we just needed to pour any excess down the sink, or so I thought, thats when i realised the waste pipe under the MH was frozen! :shout:

Never mind, bailed it out, lesson learned. We packed up ready to drive to the memorial service we were going to and guess what, the engine battery was flat, even though we were on hook up, luckily I had a jump pack so got started and off we went.

After the service it was off to the local for a bit of a get together, came out, got started, got stuck in the snow, fortunately a friend had a shovel in the boot of his car, at least someone was prepared, by now I'm feeling a bit of a failure! :Blush:

First time is always a bit of a adventure, but sometimes you can do with a bit of a extra to keep you warm (like a small oil radiator). Not good when your pipes freeze up.

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
There's a few of us here in Leeds. Always give a shout if in trouble and we'll do what we can. ::bigsmile: If nothing else, we have spare beds. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Why were you heating with gas if you were on hookup?
Geoff.

I take it you mean why didn't we have a electric heater of some sort?

Two reasons, 1) It was our maiden voyage so we were making sure everything was working properly. 2) We didn't even give it a thought. :ROFLMAO:

But really, when i say we are novices, I mean novices. We had only ever been camping once, or should I say glamping being from Essex! I don't know the fist thing about motorhomes and i'm not ashamed to admit it. :thumb:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

Two reasons, 1) It was our maiden voyage so we were making sure everything was working properly. 2) We didn't even give it a thought. :ROFLMAO:

But really, when i say we are novices, I mean novices. We had only ever been camping once, or should I say glamping being from Essex! [HI]I don't know the fist thing about motorhomes[/HI] and i'm not ashamed to admit it. :thumb:

You do now! ...........keep it up:thumb:

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Oh yes. I did Leeds long ago. When men were men and sheep were frightened.

Did you do Imax ?

Not sure what Imax is.

We stayed at squires cafe bar near sherburn in Elmet which was recommended by canopus, (thanks ccanopus :thumb: ). A very nice place with pleasant people. We will definitely go back in the summer as it is a bikers place with alot of history. The highlight for me (and you'd have to be into bikes to appreciate this) was a mint 1978 GT750 watercooled triple sitting in a glass cabinet.:Cool:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
But really, when i say we are novices, I mean novices. We had only ever been camping once, or should I say glamping being from Essex! I don't know the fist thing about motorhomes and i'm not ashamed to admit it. :thumb:
And it was quite brave of you to come on the forums and relate your "novice" experiences.

I enjoyed your post, and thank you for your honesty. TBH, it was the headline that pulled me in. :ROFLMAO:

Happy Motorhoming,

Jock.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs

Well that's the motorhoming spirit!! Learning all you can and braving it out. My first few nights included -5 in Wiltshire, no EHU available but a couple of hot water bottles, 2 dogs and 2 cats, not possible to be cold!

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Good to hear of you first venture, you have learnt gas always runs out at the most inconvenient time, it's that little man that is always with you on trips and known as S*D and his laws are ever present.

Best of luck with your next trip. you are learning.

Bill123

Free Member
Jul 7, 2011
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Lancashire
Exp
New to it all!
We went out last week and it was that cold even the toothpaste was frozen in the tube!

Not wishing to hijack the thread, but what sort of electric heater should we be looking at getting? As much as I am sure it would be OK, I am not keen to leave the gas heating on overnight so electric seems to be the way to go. However, I don't want to be the one to trip out an entire campsite.

We are off to Bath for a couple of nights in a couple of weeks, which won't be much fun if its still cold. What should I be looking at getting?

Thanks

Mrs Bill

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Bill

We normally take a 1KW oil filled rad for overnight use and normally find we never need it on full, never had problems with tripping, and gives enough background heat, and normally not to heavy on your payload.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
oh dear

Well firstly welcome to the world of motorhoming, from reading your mail I`m afriad it`s too late, you have been sucked in, taken over and converted.

So that`s it, frozen pipes, flat batteries and constant upgrades.

It`s a fantastic feeling isn`t it....:flyingwelcome:

:thumb:

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
........................Not wishing to hijack the thread, but what sort of electric heater should we be looking at getting? As much as I am sure it would be OK, I am not keen to leave the gas heating on overnight so electric seems to be the way to go. However, I don't want to be the one to trip out an entire campsite.

We are off to Bath for a couple of nights in a couple of weeks, which won't be much fun if its still cold. What should I be looking at getting?

Thanks

Mrs Bill

We have one of these (DeLonghi Bambino Oil Filled Radiator 800W TRN0808M) from here Link Removed which was the best price at the time (Nov 2011). It's been keeping our 24ft Cheyenne at +4c on our drive, when -8c outside, whilst on setting 1. Interestingly it's kept the windscreen etc clear of frost, but the van's insulation (2008) has meant that the snow has remained on the roof, thawing only when the sun shines on it.

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Not wishing to hijack the thread, but what sort of electric heater should we be looking at

Mrs Bill

Suppose it depends on how much heat you want. I have got rid of the fan heater - it was too noisey. Got rid of the halogen heater - too much light. Settled on a 400 watt oil filled one that keeps the chill off really well but I would probably go for a bigger one for Winter in the UK.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Not wishing to hijack the thread, but what sort of electric heater should we be looking at getting? As much as I am sure it would be OK, I am not keen to leave the gas heating on overnight so electric seems to be the way to go. However, I don't want to be the one to trip out an entire campsite.

Thanks

Mrs Bill
While our MH is on the drive and on hook up Bill, we use a small oil filled radiator, to keep the chill away, like many others.
However, when on a site with hookup, we use a small 900/1800 watt ceramic fan heater on it's low thermostatic setting during the night. One downside of a fan heater, is that it can set off the security alarm, when away from the MH in the day time, so we don't use it unless we are actually in the van. :Smile:

HTH,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back