Learner motorcycle buying advice please.. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Ok... I'm setting the ball rolling on passing my motorcycle test ..

Will do my CBT as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer.. Did it years ago but never followed through with a test .. so it's back to square one.

so I need advice about buying a 125cc learner bike..

* budget under £1,000 .. so obiously not new

* don't want a Chinese made, so probably a Jap ?

* easy to maintain, service and get parts for ..

* reliable

* what models to give a wide berth

* 2 stoke or 4 stroke... pros and cons.

* don't want a scooter

anything else to consider ?

think that's covered it.. over to you guys who know what's what ..

thanks in anticipation

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
I would advise NOT to buy a 125....

Get your CBT passed using a hire bike and buy a half decent 500 to learn and pass your test on,,,,CB500....GS500

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
My choice would be a 125 Honda, simple, reliable, economical, inexpensive. There are others, equally as good, but, l am a Honda man.
Four strokes are my choice, l think 2 strokes are on their way out. Certainly are not in racing anymore.

Craig

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would advise NOT to buy a 125....

Get your CBT passed using a hire bike and buy a half decent 500 to learn and pass your test on,,,,CB500....GS500

as far as I know you can't do that.. you need two years on a 125cc with a full licence before getting bigger

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Ok... I'm setting the ball rolling on passing my motorcycle test ..

Will do my CBT as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer.. Did it years ago but never followed through with a test .. so it's back to square one.

so I need advice about buying a 125cc learner bike..

* budget under £1,000 .. so obiously not new

* don't want a Chinese made, so probably a Jap ?

* easy to maintain, service and get parts for ..

* what models to give a wide berth

* 2 stoke or 4 stroke... pros and cons.

* don't want a scooter

anything else to consider ?

think that's covered it.. over to you guys who know what's what ..

thanks in anticipation
Direct access scheme

Direct access is a scheme which allows a person over the age of 21 to avoid the two year/25 kiloWatt (kW) restriction by taking a test on a machine of at least 35 kW (46.6 brake horse power (bhp)). A pass allows you to ride any size of bike. Any instruction given on a machine that exceeds the normal learner motorcycle specification must be supervised at all times by a certified motorcycle instructor who should be in radio contact. You should also wear fluorescent or reflective clothing and follow all other provisional licence restrictions
* reliable
You might be aware of this Jim,you are not resticted to 125 if over a certain age,so I would suggest might be a better course of action than a 125,the other thing to consider is a 125 is a bit underpowered,okay if you are just using it around town.Think you will find that a bigger bike is not that much more expensive than the 125,and for under £1000 there is quite a choice.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
as far as I know you can't do that.. you need two years on a 125cc with a full licence before getting bigger

Thats not correct Jim for someone your age....look up direct access...Its what I did last year and passed mine....took about 3 months....

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
The only advice I have Jim is stick with a four stroke:thumb: genaraly more reliable and less smelly:Smile: of course there will be someone along in a minute who will totally contradict me::bigsmile:

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
This might be a good place to get some ideas

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Direct access scheme

Direct access is a scheme which allows a person over the age of 21 to avoid the two year/25 kiloWatt (kW) restriction by taking a test on a machine of at least 35 kW (46.6 brake horse power (bhp)). A pass allows you to ride any size of bike. Any instruction given on a machine that exceeds the normal learner motorcycle specification must be supervised at all times by a certified motorcycle instructor who should be in radio contact. You should also wear fluorescent or reflective clothing and follow all other provisional licence restrictions
* reliable
You might be aware of this Jim,you are not resticted to 125 if over a certain age,so I would suggest might be a better course of action than a 125,the other thing to consider is a 125 is a bit underpowered,okay if you are just using it around town.Think you will find that a bigger bike is not that much more expensive than the 125,and for under £1000 there is quite a choice.

I was aware of this type of training .. hadn't really looked into it.. it's worth considering but it would work out quite expensive I think .. ?

I think I'd rather get the smaller bike and do a my test in my own time .. In no rush to get the bigger bike..

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Daughter had Suzuki 125, great little bike, good for 70. Huge fun. 125 mpg. £1k would buy a real good un.

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
This would be a perfect choice mega simple maintenance,bombproof engine and very low miles.

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Link Removed
And this is ball park idea of cost.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Motorcycle choice

I had a Honda CG125 a while ago, I commuted to work and did other short journeys on it, around 100mpg, low maintenance, very easy and unthreatening to learn on, teaches you road positioning, life savers etc, would highly recommend an IAM motorcycle course later on as well, makes you a lot better rider. Have fun. !!!

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
Jim, it will cost you about £900 all in to get your direct access,don't worry about it at the moment,just get yourself something like a Yamaha SR125, they are low with a big wide seat,the training schools love them as well as they are easy to ride,4 stroke and well made.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Jim, it will cost you about £900 all in to get your direct access,don't worry about it at the moment,just get yourself something like a Yamaha SR125, they are low with a big wide seat,the training schools love them as well as they are easy to ride,4 stroke and well made.

Sorry but no it won't...mine cost me £600 last year....including All bike hire....

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Now had time to look into the Direct Access method but have decided I would prefer to buy the 125cc, get plenty of practice and experience on that before getting something bigger.

It's not just the cost.. if I were younger I might be tempted to do that but at my age I think I'm better off taking my time .. there is no rush.. and the 125cc will re sell quite easily .. I'll also get a better idea what I eventually want to buy .. a bit like campervans, I doubt I will get it right first time..

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
HUGE FUN can be had on 125cc

Thats possibly true if you are new to biking:Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
HUGE FUN can be had on 125cc
Thats possibly true if you are new to biking:Smile:

All you have to do is go into Town/City and carve them up.

125 is all you need if you aren't going long distances. Round back lanes, light weight, good steering lock is a joy.

My daughter got a 125 to ride to Salford Uni to do her PhD ( and pass her test on) . Always parked outside the security office, 'till some ********** stole it.

Then she got a Kawasaki GPZ500S, like a 125 but with more go.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I agree with the 125 route. As you say Jim, you are in no hurry.

It will be easy to ride, economic to run, tax insure etc. More importantly you can start to build up your riding skills and learn your bike Roadcraft. Over time you will build up an idea of the bike you want to tour on..... just like getting to know the right motorhome that suits you.

As Brian says, you can have great fun on a 125. When I was working in London many years ago I had a Honda Goldwing, a Honda CB 750F and and Yamaha RD 250 LC. I decided I had to sell one, so I wanted to get rid of the CB 750. So I did a deal with a friend in Stirling who had just passed his test. I rode the 750 up to Stirling, in January in the snow, and swopped the 750, for a nearly new Suzuki GS 125. In blue just like this one....

2004%5C12%5C17%5Cbikepics-259364-320.jpg

I rode the 125 all the way back to London the next day. The plan was it would be much easier to sell a learner legal 125, in London than my CB 750.

Anyhow, I loved the little 125, it did 65 /70 mph no problem on the way back, it was brilliant for commuting in London, and did almost 100 mpg. It was so good I actually kept it for 3 years... So I never actually reduced my bikes.

The cogs are a turning now Jim, the bike wheels are beginning to roll......... Go for it...:thumb:

Callum.....

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
All you have to do is go into Town/City and carve them up.

125 is all you need if you aren't going long distances. Round back lanes, light weight, good steering lock is a joy.

My daughter got a 125 to ride to Salford Uni to do her PhD ( and pass her test on) . Always parked outside the security office, 'till some ********** stole it.

Then she got a Kawasaki GPZ500S, like a 125 but with more go.

Dont wish to be argumentative,and would say 125 spot on for inner city cummuting,but as for fun on the open road not enough power,while back I had a 600 monster now that was fun!

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Dont wish to be argumentative,and would say 125 spot on for inner city cummuting,but as for fun on the open road not enough power,while back I had a 600 monster now that was fun!

I Have to agree with this....after about 30mins on a 125 the vibration was driving me mad...When I move onto the 500 it was much easier to ride and in my opinion more fun...nothing to do with power....was more about my ability to control the power....
Nowadays I sit at about 50-60 only and just enjoy the countryside...no longer seeing this blur that I only used to see in my younger days...

Looking forward to my test ride on the Gladius this week...although having sat on it yesterday my hip hurt again but that usually wears off after I stand and resit...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi .125 will be ok for awhile. i have aright mixture here .but these days like a 250cc light cheap carries two easily . takes me back to being 16yrold on my bsa c15.have two 250cc bikes here. the one that brings the biggest smile is the 90cc dax/monkey. but ride the big 1500cc you have to look the part and scouwl abit. hee hee

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back