Free Member
Feb 11, 2012
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
3 years
About to spend the kids inheritance on an Eldiss Aspire 255 after many years caravanning. Hope to use the motorhome to travel to our house in the Algarve in future winters as after 60 years of Scottish winters the joke is wearing a bit thin!

I'm anxious to find out others experiences of using Aires or wild camping as it sounds ideal but numerous tales of nightmares abound. We were at our house for Xmas and New Year and saw probably 50+ motorhomes in Silves at a public car park with no facilities but everyone seemed delighted. I'm hoping I get lots of positive stories to digest prior to next winter and get some tip on how to keep safe and enjoy this wonderful lifestyle.:Smile:

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Hi and welcome to Fun, went to Germany last year and exclusively use Stelplatz, with no problems. I think you need to be careful on motorways but in towns it doesn't seem to be a problem, someone will let you know about it I expect.

:thumb::thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi
Welcome to MH Fun

Can't help with the info required but plenty of Funsters will be able to, and are bound to be along later. Know they use Aires all over France, we personally prefer to tour Scotland, you pays your money, and there's you trying to get away from Scotland.

Best of luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
About to spend the kids inheritance on an Eldiss Aspire 255 after many years caravanning. Hope to use the motorhome to travel to our house in the Algarve in future winters as after 60 years of Scottish winters the joke is wearing a bit thin!

I can't see the sense in that. Cheap and quick by plane. Long and gruelling by MH. They are poor expensive transport.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well perhaps the O/P would like to see some of the rest of Europe on the way to their Portuguese residence, and again on the way back, and want a few home comforts rather than taking a car and staying in hotels en route!

Or perhaps they currently drive down with the caravan, thus being condemned to stopping only on campsites whereas they sees motorhomers on aires and wild camping and it appeals to them. After all - are we not all in agreement that by the time most caravanners have set up the van to their entire satisfaction, we've already arrived, parked, been for a swim, made and baked a cake (if not a 3-course meal) and having been and invited some friends round, are all sitting down to eat it?

Whatever!

:welcomefunster:

PS we've only stayed on Aires in France so far - which have mostly been brilliantly placed for either beach, lake, river or town (sometimes for more than one of these) but many people don't have my husband's aversion to Spain (including me; I'm working on it!) and therefore so far, Portugal hasn't stood a chance. But loads of peeps on MHF do visit all three so hopefully some of them will be able to advise.

Whereabouts in Portugal are you wanting to ultimately get to - and do you have a preferred ferry route?

OP
OP
bluemog

bluemog

Free Member
Feb 11, 2012
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
3 years
Missing the point?

I can't see the sense in that. Cheap and quick by plane. Long and gruelling by MH. They are poor expensive transport.

Methinks you're missing the intention here? We regularly fly out due to the inconvenience of having to work for a living HOWEVER ............ returement is just round the corner and time is of no importance SO ............ if it takes 6 months to get to our house after visiting Prague, Moscow, Paris via Stockholm on the way.............. so be it!

OP
OP
bluemog

bluemog

Free Member
Feb 11, 2012
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
3 years
Well perhaps the O/P would like to see some of the rest of Europe on the way to their Portuguese residence, and again on the way back, and want a few home comforts rather than taking a car and staying in hotels en route!

Or perhaps they currently drive down with the caravan, thus being condemned to stopping only on campsites whereas they sees motorhomers on aires and wild camping and it appeals to them. After all - are we not all in agreement that by the time most caravanners have set up the van to their entire satisfaction, we've already arrived, parked, been for a swim, made and baked a cake (if not a 3-course meal) and having been and invited some friends round, are all sitting down to eat it?

Whatever!

:welcomefunster:

PS we've only stayed on Aires in France so far - which have mostly been brilliantly placed for either beach, lake, river or town (sometimes for more than one of these) but many people don't have my husband's aversion to Spain (including me; I'm working on it!) and therefore so far, Portugal hasn't stood a chance. But loads of peeps on MHF do visit all three so hopefully some of them will be able to advise.

Whereabouts in Portugal are you wanting to ultimately get to - and do you have a preferred ferry route?

You have it bang on! Time will be of no importance once retirement comes along and moving 50 - 100 miles a day in ANY direction will be the norm. SEND IT ON!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hello and welcome from France. :welcome:

I found this article yesterday: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/familyholidays/8480383/France-Holiday-highs-in-low-cost-municipal-campsites.htmlstill

If you click on the link in the article, you can look at municipal campsites across France, from rural basic farms to super-duper with pools etc..

There's also an Aires book that someone here will have more details about..

I've rented my house out from April so I'm planning a year travelling using a mixture of wildcamping, aires and sites.

There's lots of info online about safety, and a few sensible precautions will give you peace of mind.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Methinks you're missing the intention here?

Maybe. You said drive to your house in the Algarve for winter. I just pointed out that driving a MH that distance around winter is not that enjoyable and once you get there it's poor transport. It's quite a drive from Scotland.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Welcome to the fun. I am sure you will have a great time pottering along in a motorhome at a pace that allows you to enjoy and explore; we certainly do.
The only word of caution I would offer is that if you intend to use the motorhome year-round, including in the winter, think very carefully before buying a British van. There have been several reports on forums in the last few days about motorhomes freezing up in the recent cold weather. I read one report of about 16 vans on one campsite all having problems last weekend. It's mainly to do with the way the water systems are laid out, and whether they are properly heated. In all cases, I think, the problems related to British vans. It is well known that German (and most French) vans are much better winterised.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back