First MH arrived, first of many stupid questions I`m afraid. (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Took delivery of our first MH a 07 Swift Kon Tiki tag on Wednesday, unfortunately I was just getting over man flu (should have delayed collection really) so almost everything went in one ear and out the other.

So, I am now sitting in the freezing cold MH, book in hand trying to get heating working on EHU. So far failed miserably to make sense of the two dials and get hot air blowing.

First real question though is how do you know when you are running on mains rather than battery?

Slight side issue, need to get a TV, bedroom seems to have TV point together with a 3 pin and a 12v socket to supply the power, outside TV point just has ariel and 12v. Ideally thinking initially to just get 1 TV. have seen this on ebay which seems cheap, asked about 12v lead and the seller has no idea.
Does anyone know if I purchased one of these, what else would I need to get it to work inside and out?
Link Removed

Thanks

Don`t go away though, please......::bigsmile:

Steve

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Congratulations on your new MH!
What type/make of heating system have you got?
:Smile:

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
The book says Truma Combi 4 / Combi 6

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ok. We've got a much older Truma system which is very straightforward to use but it's totally different to yours so I can't be much help :Sad:.
Sure someone on here with the same model as yours will be along soon!
No such thing as a daft question when you don't know!!

:thumb:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I got a Ferguson LED TV/DVD combi for £99 from Comet a few weeks ago. 12v and mains. Staff were very helpful and checked it was 12v too.
No idea about your heating--took me a few goes to work mine out.

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
There is no such thing as a stupid/silly question on this forum....Motorhoming is a constant learning curve..ask away..there is always someone who can answer your queries..

mikkidee

Free Member
Aug 1, 2010
Malton,North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since June 08
Took delivery of our first MH a 07 Swift Kon Tiki tag on Wednesday, unfortunately I was just getting over man flu (should have delayed collection really) so almost everything went in one ear and out the other.

So, I am now sitting in the freezing cold MH, book in hand trying to get heating working on EHU. So far failed miserably to make sense of the two dials and get hot air blowing.

First real question though is how do you know when you are running on mains rather than battery?

With hook up plugged in try plugging a 240 electric kettle in, or anything that is 240. That will tell you if you are hooked into 240 or not
Mike:Smile:

Oh and welcome to your new motorhome

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I presume you have the Truma manual? If not, it can be downloaded from this link - refers to Combi 4E/6E. (Also, have you got the E model? If not and it is a Combi 4 or 6, there is no electric option.)
Link Removed

It states that electric heating will only be provided when set to winter operation (i.e. hot water and heating). You should also be aware that gas is by far the most effective fuel. The maximum heat output of the 6E is: 1.8 Kw on Electricity only; 5.8 Kw on Electricity and Gas combined; 6 Kw on Gas only. I have read posts by users of this system stating that they start it up on gas to get the van warm, then switch to electricity to keep it ticking over.

We have the older C6002 model and ours runs only on gas - it's very effective. Suits us fine as we rarely hook up.

p.s. also be aware that if the new ones work like the older series that we have, it can take quite a while after firing up before the fan starts to circulate the air. The boiler has to get hot first. If you are trying to do this with electricity only, it might take 10 or 15 minutes at a guess. I suggest you try it on gas first.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks for all the replies, i `think` I have warm air flowing but it is very cold in there so have left it on and will go back in a while.

I vaguely remember hearing that gas was best for heating, no gas bottles came with it, I have small and large propane bottles for the gas bbq at home, having just looked at the gas storage area properly for the first time, there is one pipe with a big threaded nut (for want of a better description), obviously different to the way the bottles connect to the bbq.

So the next questions are....

a) Can I use the bottles I already have for use in the MH and if I can...
B) What do I need to be able to connect them to that hose?

Thanks

Steve

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Sounds as if you have the propane fitting on your gas-pipe (large threaded nut thingy). This is to connect to the orange propane bottles. It is an anti-clockwise thread. If you have blue (calor) bottles they will probably not work in this cold weather, you need propane under 4/5degs.

(Just re-read yr last post and see you do have propane so no probs )

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
The controls comprise 2 knobs 1 of which directs where the heating is applied and has settings for:
Water 60 degs.
Water 40 degs.
Off.
Heating only.
Water 60 degs + Heating.

The other controls which power sources are used to provide the heat and has settings for:
Both electric elements. (The boiler contains 2 electric elements)
1 electric element.
Gas only.
Gas + 1 electric.
Gas + 2 electrics.

Hope this helps.
Geoff.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thanks for all the replies, i `think` I have warm air flowing but it is very cold in there so have left it on and will go back in a while.

I vaguely remember hearing that gas was best for heating, no gas bottles came with it, I have small and large propane bottles for the gas bbq at home, having just looked at the gas storage area properly for the first time, there is one pipe with a big threaded nut (for want of a better description), obviously different to the way the bottles connect to the bbq.

So the next questions are....

[HI]
a) Can I use the bottles I already have for use in the MH and if I can...
B) What do I need to be able to connect them to that hose?
[/HI]

Thanks

Steve

A - It depends what gas you have......in these cold temperatures only propane will work NOT butane

B - That nut will fit directly on to a gas bottle assuming you have a fixed regulator on the other end of the hose. Propane fitting all have a left hand thread so if your hose does not screw on it may be butane and will have to be changed

Brian

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Sounds as if you have the propane fitting on your gas-pipe (large threaded nut thingy). This is to connect to the orange propane bottles. It is an anti-clockwise thread. If you have blue (calor) bottles they will probably not work in this cold weather, you need propane under 4/5degs.

(Just re-read yr last post and see you do have propane so no probs )

This is what I have attached to the pipe from BBQ, you push it down on top of the bottle and twist the lever, so I am guessing it`s another sort of regulator I am missing that somehow goes between my pipe and gas bottle, does that sound about right?

Steve

Link Removed

IGNORE the above, all my bottles are Butane. So I need to source new propane bottles and a regulator, I think...

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
First MH arrived

Hi, can you post some pictures of the heating controls/panel?

S

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Gas regulator......

if you follow the pipe back, can you see something similar to the pic below attached to the locker wall.

132872.jpg

if so you just connect your 'big nut thingy' directly to the RED PROPANE bottle.
when tightening, it just needs a nip...not a lot of force.

if not (almost certain you do) you need to remove the nut and fit one of these to the hose....and connect that directly to the red bottle.

Link Removed

you have butane (probably a blue bottle) for your BBQ and it isnt possible to fit that as it is.

does it look like this

images

while there is no obligation to swap bottles, some calor dealers are quite happy to swap blue bottles for red ones and change sizes.

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Gas regulator......

if you follow the pipe back, can you see something similar to the pic below attached to the locker wall.

132872.jpg

if so you just connect your 'big nut thingy' directly to the RED PROPANE bottle.
when tightening, it just needs a nip...not a lot of force.
Thanks.

Yes, something similar is connected to the wall and the pipe comes out of it, so when I get hold of a propane bottle the pipe should just screw in.

The heating is working but you can only `feel` warm air coming out of the vent near the controls which is also the closest to the boiler, there are 2 more in the lounge and 2 in the bedroom all doing pretty much nothing at all. Hopefully adding the gas will help, certainly hope so.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Good luck - don't forget, left-hand thread on propane bottles! :thumb:

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Each warm air outlet will have a flap type valve you can open or close, have you checked they are all open.

cheers
John

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
What you are getting is quite normal for electric operation. 1.8kw doesn't do a lot in the sort of cold weather we are having now. The titchy bit of heat, shared around possibly 8 or 9 outlets will mean the warmth will be undetectable in the more distant ones. Once you have the gas working you will be amazed at the difference. The mains is only sufficient for a cool evening, low temperatures you need the gas.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
where abouts in the country are you as there may be a funster round the corner so to speak who could pop round and help you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back