Doubleback: Extending VW Camper Van (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Link Removed
Extending Camper Vans Give the Modern Hippy Plenty Of Leg Room
The iconic VW camper van paved the way for the modern motorhome, but they were barely big enough for a couple of hippies. So a UK company has created the Doubleback with an extending pod that can fit a whole commune.

Built on a modern Volkswagen T5 Transporter van, the Doubleback still features the soft pop-up roof tent that allows you to stand inside, but it's been further equipped for camping duties with an extending pod that adds an extra six and a half feet of living space inside. The interior of the pod is equipped with a large bed, but it can be folded down so the space can be also used for other activities.

http://www.doubleback.co.uk/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ydxhdaC-F0s

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
thats given me an idea...I could extend my 32 footer to 64.....party at arrys at Marjal...sorry about blockin da access road

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Great piece of kit Jim. The downside will be its probably going to cost more than a terraced house.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Thought it would interest buttons.. :winky:
Looks very interesting Jim, a couple of points.... unlike the Cali it is not a proper vw conversion, this has some implications with the three year warrantee. I'm a little concerned about the rear door hinge, that door is not a light bit of kit. also the roof hinges from the front makes it difficult to stand up from the front seats. And.... you would lose your side door/windows .However the concept looks brilliant.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi . novel idea . its a carry on from the idea on t2`, years ago that had a backpack that droped from the tailgate and you slide a board out from over the engine . not certain if it was a canadian idea winnepec or something rings a bell in my head . must go back through old leaflets . but nice one .keep em coming . the vw is certainly the grandfather of mpv.s
if only i had kept some of the ones i used to have. where have we all heard that .ha ha .

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I've seen a couple of van conversions with back door slides.. even one with a side slide.. (home built) but this is by far the best I've seen.. .

The DoubleBack is priced at £54,995 on the road.

Link Removed

Link Removed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I've seen a couple of van conversions with back door slides.. even one with a side slide.. (home built) but this is by far the best I've seen.. .

Lets hope it inspires other converters. It could certainly solve the problem of the absurd waste of space a low level fixed bed is. Sort of take an A class over seat bed and put it on the back vertically. Waste only 2 feet instead of 7 feet.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Lets hope it inspires other converters. It could certainly solve the problem of the absurd waste of space a low level fixed bed is. Sort of take an A class over seat bed and put it on the back vertically. Waste only 2 feet instead of 7 feet.

As has been said, why aren't the Euro manufacturers on the band wagon with slides, could be weight of course. Now as you do, rearward slides have crossed my mind, as these things do, but Brian, that is such a simple idea, alot more than mine:thumb:::bigsmile::Doh:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It's still got no shower or loo (prob pota potti)::bigsmile:
terry

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
It looks well made.
For the same sort of money,why not just buy a s/h M/H with all the mod cons and headroom?
But then, i guess, i`m just not trendy or cool or hip ect---just practical !
:whatthe:
Strange is it not, that certain age groups attract certain types of motorhomes?---Would a 25 year old want to buy my M/H? :ROFLMAO:
I have a Autotrail but still ride a fast bike-- where do i fit in?:Doh:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It looks well made.
For the same sort of money,[HI]why not just buy a s/h M/H with all the mod cons and headroom?[/HI]
But then, i guess, i`m just not trendy or cool or hip ect---just practical !
:whatthe:
Strange is it not, that certain age groups attract certain types of motorhomes?---Would a 25 year old want to buy my M/H? :ROFLMAO:
I have a Autotrail but still ride a fast bike-- where do i fit in?:Doh:

lots of reasons..

it should clear most height barriers
single parking bay..
use as every day transport
fuel economy .. this should do around 40mpg
exploring places you might think twice about with a mh..

but as we always say.. horses for courses.. each to their own.. there is no one size fits all .. all is compromise..

but no use if you want a full blown motorhome with wash room and shower..

I like it a lot.. if I won the lotto it would be on the short list

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
interesting concept

It is an interesting concept.

Having an RV (small one ..see link in red below) I have a slide out and it does increase the room no end even in a 23' RV... the concept as I say is interesting, but why not just have a side slide?

Seems expensive when you consider what you can get in RV market in the smaller size.

Bob

paul8ch

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
kent
Funster No
MH
minibus conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Link Removed
Extending Camper Vans Give the Modern Hippy Plenty Of Leg Room
The iconic VW camper van paved the way for the modern motorhome, but they were barely big enough for a couple of hippies. So a UK company has created the Doubleback with an extending pod that can fit a whole commune.

Built on a modern Volkswagen T5 Transporter van, the Doubleback still features the soft pop-up roof tent that allows you to stand inside, but it's been further equipped for camping duties with an extending pod that adds an extra six and a half feet of living space inside. The interior of the pod is equipped with a large bed, but it can be folded down so the space can be also used for other activities.

http://www.doubleback.co.uk/
Looks a bit like an April fool trick doesn't it?:Eeek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ydxhdaC-F0s
It looks a bit like an April fool trick doesn't it?:Eeek:

paul8ch

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
kent
Funster No
MH
minibus conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
It looks a bit like an April fool trick doesn't it?:Eeek:

just watched the ad what a brilliant concept! I want one, mind you at 55k it's a bit out of my reach this week:cry: Maybe if I beg for a bit more overtime and a small salary increase you never know I might get a secondhand one in about 10 years:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back