Unlucky with Weather in France (1 Viewer)

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Last winter we had a terrible run down through France just before Christmas with blizzards and icy roads. A nightmare with my first trip in the RV.

Just travelled back through France again hoping to stay at a few aires and had frozen snow and very very cold temps all the way back. At Narbonne the lagoon was all frozen, at St Pourcain aire a couple of nights ago was -10c in the bedroom when we woke up. All bedroom windows iced up on the inside.
Was -15c outside:help:

As it got colder we gave up and headed towards coast thinking it would be warmer....by about 3c :Doh: The aire at St Valery quayside full of frozen snow and blowing a gale at about -10c, Aire at Escalles closed full of snow.

I love France yet every time I visit it seems I have arrived in Siberia :cry:

:france:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Last winter we had a terrible run down through France just before Christmas with blizzards and icy roads. A nightmare with my first trip in the RV.

Just travelled back through France again hoping to stay at a few aires and had frozen snow and very very cold temps all the way back. At Narbonne the lagoon was all frozen, at St Pourcain aire a couple of nights ago was -10c in the bedroom when we woke up. All bedroom windows iced up on the inside.

As it got colder we gave up and headed towards coast thinking it would be warmer....by about 3c :Doh: The aire at St Valery quayside full of frozen snow and blowing a gale at about -10c, Aire at Escalles closed full of snow.

[FONT=&quot]Here endeth the first lesson, stay at home until the sap starts to rise. Not much fun in a tin box when it is freezing outside.:Sad:[/FONT]

OP
OP
MrJinks

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
[FONT=&quot]Here endeth the first lesson, stay at home until the sap starts to rise. Not much fun in a tin box when it is freezing outside.:Sad:[/FONT]

One Day.....The trouble is we have to work March-October so doesn't leave much sap risen time !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
You should have turned round and headed back to Florantilles for a few more weeks mate.. :winky:::bigsmile:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

We should have set off from UK last Sunday, through France to Spain. We checked the weather and temps at our usual aires and decided to cancel the tunnel for a month!

Hopefully it will be a good deal warmer when we set off!

Ginny

patyogi

Free Member
Feb 8, 2012
Deal, Kent
Funster No
MH
self convert, left hooker
Exp
too long
fridge France

Yeah suppose to head up thru France end of Feb but think we will put it off for a couple of weeks.
Most of the passes need s/chains, so it will be bottom nr Barcalona or top end near Irun, none of the French c/sites are open until end of March so it's wild parking up to Calais, no lecky no heat......winge, winge, where's that hot water bottle. The Mrs is hogging it!:cry:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
So ..... you came via Narbonne hey ? ..... AND ......???? didn't you think a minute you were not that far from Toulouse??:Angry:Do I have to say it each time..Mister Jink?? Shall I add, I am on the way, you don't need to drive for ages to get from the motorway to my place!! So ... "I shall say zis only once" you will handwrite 100 times for next time (that gives you at least a year...but I will check:Angry: be careful , be very careful:Angry::Angry:) "I can still have a free stopover at Frankie's"......:roflmto::winky:

Don't forget for next time :thumb:

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
France to Spain

We crossed from Folkstone on the Euro Tunnel on 26 Jan and drove down thro France to Spain Weather wasn't too bad and in fact it was colder in Benidorm than France due to a very cold wind. Now on site at Roquetas de Mar west of Almeria and fleeces reqd today (9 Feb) but at least the sky was blue and sun was shining and had a fab subset just awhile ago!:thumb::thumb::Eeek:
We had one night in the beautiful town of Almerimar on the jetty aire at £7.50 No electric, no showers but water and great for one night but as we are staying on this site for 40 days it works out cheaper here Anyone around Roquetas area?????

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We crossed from Folkstone on the Euro Tunnel on 26 Jan and drove down thro France to Spain Weather wasn't too bad and in fact it was colder in Benidorm than France due to a very cold wind. Now on site at Roquetas de Mar west of Almeria and fleeces reqd today (9 Feb) but at least the sky was blue and sun was shining and had a fab subset just awhile ago!:thumb::thumb::Eeek:
We had one night in the beautiful town of Almerimar on the jetty aire at £7.50 No electric, no showers but water and great for one night but as we are staying on this site for 40 days it works out cheaper here Anyone around Roquetas area?????

We passed there just over a week ago , were not keen on the area so went straight on to Florentilles at Torrevieja, left there this morning but Old Mo is still there , a good clean spacious site :thumb:

OP
OP
MrJinks

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
So ..... you came via Narbonne hey ? ..... AND ......???? didn't you think a minute you were not that far from Toulouse??:Angry:Do I have to say it each time..Mister Jink?? Shall I add, I am on the way, you don't need to drive for ages to get from the motorway to my place!! So ... "I shall say zis only once" you will handwrite 100 times for next time (that gives you at least a year...but I will check:Angry: be careful , be very careful:Angry::Angry:) "I can still have a free stopover at Frankie's"......:roflmto::winky:

Don't forget for next time :thumb:

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Oooh.....you are so bossy Frankie :winky:

But I was heading for Clermont Ferrand !! Sorry, no excuses

I will start writing my lines now.........

I can still have a free stopover at Frankie's
I can still have a free stopover at Frankie's..........my fingers hurt
:cry:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
agree

I agree with you Larry the area isn't too brilliant lots off plastic greenhouses but we made good friends here so have come back again this year. Once you get settled in and get used to it, its not too bad. IF the weather had been better up North we wouldn't have come this far south. On the way home we will stop at Calpe or somewhere around there but needs must and wiffe needs the sun!!:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back