Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
At what point would you say, 'nope, its just too damn cold to be in the MH tonight dear'. And if you were to be in it with well below freezing temps would you risk any on-board water in the system?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We are ok in ours provided we have hook up. Heated floors and tanks:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
having slept in the rear of an unheated and uninsulated series 2 landrover on a mattress with a couple of duvets when it was minus ten outside I can only say we were as warm as toast. Once in bed the outside temp is irellevant :thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
We have been away in Scotland in snow frost and never given it a thought about the cold. All we have normally done is to make sure the waste tank does not start freezing by leaving open the drain to a bucket, easier to get rid of.
When the van is warm never worried about inside pipework or fresh water tank

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
We are ok in ours provided we have hook up. Heated floors and tanks:thumb:

Mmmmmm, heated floors...

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
I plan to be in mine on Friday night and the weatherman says its going to minus 7. Should I have any concern at all?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I plan to be in mine on Friday night and the weatherman says its going to minus 7. Should I have any concern at all?

It depends how well winterised your van is. Are the tanks inside or insulated and heated? Is the waste trap heated? Are all the pipe runs internal? Have you got SilverScreens for the windscreen? etc.

We have been OK at -10ºC or perhaps a bit lower, without hookup, for a couple or three nights - after that we needed hookup or generator to recharge. At very low temperatures, you need to leave the heating system running 24/7 - on tick-over when you are out.

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
It depends how well winterised your van is. Are the tanks inside or insulated and heated? Is the waste trap heated? Are all the pipe runs internal? Have you got SilverScreens for the windscreen? etc.

We have been OK at -10ºC or perhaps a bit lower, without hookup, for a couple or three nights - after that we needed hookup or generator to recharge. At very low temperatures, you need to leave the heating system running 24/7 - on tick-over when you are out.

The fresh water tank is under the floor like most others i assume. It has got a small blown air pipe leading to the area.
I don't think the waste trap is heated and yes I do have a silverscreen thingy.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We went up to Aviemore , not last Xmas the one before , when it was well below freezing everywhere.
It got as low as - 15. Brrrr

We didn't have any problems with anything.
The motorhome is fully winterised though and has Webasto diesel heating. We've also got the silverscreen too.
We go away in ours all year round. I much prefer freezing to wet, any day.

Infact the only problem we had was when we took it back to storage. The lazy so and so's hadnt bothered to clear the snow , at all at the entrance , we got stuck waiting for the barrier to raise up :Angry:
Drove around the Cairngorms no problems and got stuck in Castleford :Doh:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
If in doubt about water drain system and carry water in bottles, live as though camping, if on EHU as said leave heating on tick over, put external screen on windscreen and enjoy it,it works. One occasion to use site facilities for once.
We have done it and never had a problem

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
We're exsternal waste tanks, and bar those freezing, well it was -13 on one occation, no problems, as other say keep heating on 24/7, just down a bit for sleep or if out, mind you ours will go from 0 to 20+ C in about 15 minutes on the main heater, typical Yank, mind you we can also empty the on board gas tank in 5 days if using that as the only heater:ROFLMAO::Eeek:

Most of the fresh is 'usually' in board so as long as you keep the van temp reasonable all should be fine. If you do go for a wander, open the cupboard doors while you're out, let the heat circulate, especially low down ones where there is pipe work.

PS Winter is my favorite time to be away, scenes and quiet, mmmm

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
we have been in ours as low as -18 and slept above the bed clothes nice and toasty
as said leave the heating on low when you go out and close the roof light blinds as when it starts to go colder it always seems to come from up there.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The fresh water tank is under the floor like most others i assume. It has got a small blown air pipe leading to the area.
I don't think the waste trap is heated and yes I do have a silverscreen thingy.

I think most, if not all of the earlier posters (me included) who have reported no problems at low temperatures, are referring to German (or certainly continental) vans. These normally have the fresh water tank inside or between the layers of a double floor which is a heated void. Waste tanks are often in the floor void as well, or if external, are insulated and heated. British vans by contrast often have the tanks outside under the floor. Unless these are specially insulated and have electric heaters in them, they are prone to freeze.

It might be an idea to detail what van you have and ask other owners to comment on low temperature performance. The rest of us are probably guessing, albeit with informed guesses.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We're on our 2nd winter in the MH. Last year in the Merc 608 we were snowed in for several weeks up a welsh hill, coldest was -17. Propex kept us toasty, 28degs on occasion. Waste outlet froze, everything else ok. Ran out of gas once when we couldn't get up the lane to trolley a new bottle back, so used a 500w electric heater for a bit. She was foam-insulated throughout and the double layer bubble-wrap home-made screen cover worked well. ... This year we're in the Dethleffs with the luxury of the Truma blown-air system. Dual-circuit with outlets to the tanks too. Haven't dug the bubble-wrap out yet to make another screen cover (spend too much time on MHF). 130w solar and occasional run of the engine keeps it all ticking over nicely ....

:Smile:

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
I think most, if not all of the earlier posters (me included) who have reported no problems at low temperatures, are referring to German (or certainly continental) vans. These normally have the fresh water tank inside or between the layers of a double floor which is a heated void. Waste tanks are often in the floor void as well, or if external, are insulated and heated. British vans by contrast often have the tanks outside under the floor. Unless these are specially insulated and have electric heaters in them, they are prone to freeze.

It might be an idea to detail what van you have and ask other owners to comment on low temperature performance. The rest of us are probably guessing, albeit with informed guesses.

Good point JeanLuc,

its a swift kon tiki 600 on a Ducato mk2 I think. 2003.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I hate winter .. spent 2008/2009 winter living in the RV in the UK .. it's only fun when you don't need to do it and you can beat a hasty back to your comfy home..

Nothing froze in the RV.. heated tanks and belly lockers.. it was warm inside.. but .. but. when the water stand pipes are frozen , your hose is frozen solid .. it's no fun lugging water from the CL owners house.. no fun trying to empty black tanks. .. and no fun trying to keep kids amused when darkness falls by 4 pm ..

Also spent Xmas and New Year in Aviemore .. 1999/2000 , so big celebrations and great fun in the snow for a few days .. but great to get home.

Yes it is pretty.. and it can be fun but the novelty soon wears off sitting on an icy field with the wind howling and your black tank is full..

Much better in warmer climes for winter :thumb:

but a picture is worth a thousand words.. which one do you think is more fun ..

UK Winter or Spain Winter(me with kilt) .. both taken at Xmas time.

Attachments

• DSC_5920(1).jpg
    DSC_5920(1).jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_1232.jpg
    DSC_1232.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 46

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Here is a link to a comment made a while back by a Funster who had owned a Kontiki. No idea what age

Broken Link Removed

mikkidee

Free Member
Aug 1, 2010
Malton,North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since June 08
I British vans by contrast often have the tanks outside under the floor. Unless these are specially insulated and have electric heaters in them, they are prone to freeze.

Not the Grande Frontier:Smile: Internal fresh water tank, and external waste insulated. Roasty toasty down to -8 in the Lakes a couple of years ago. And everything flowing like a good red wine.:winky:

Mike.:Smile:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We are at Parc Verger Champangnac La Riviere near Limoges, the last couple of nights it has been down to -21 and we have had no problems apart from the grey tank is frozen.

Very happy bunnies. :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We have wild camped in -12 without issue, but of course it does depend on what motorhome you have and if it was built with the cold in mind.. A good many have single or just about double ply floors and I do not think we would go out in less than about 5+C if ours was like that ....

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Oh dear! I dread to think what it's going to be like when we are on our way from Calais to Marjal in 3 weeks time. Out Ford Transit isn't too hot in the winter. Would our blower work without EHU and would it drain the battery quickly? :Eeek:

Ivy

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Oh dear! I dread to think what it's going to be like when we are on our way from Calais to Marjal in 3 weeks time. Out Ford Transit isn't too hot in the winter. Would our blower work without EHU and would it drain the battery quickly? :Eeek:

Ivy

I think yes , but what do i know.
Im sure a man who knows everything about such things will soon tell you.:roflmto:
You will have a lovely time anyway. Wish we could go. Im a little bit green :Blush:
Just take plenty layers and some fleecy pyjamas to lounge about in.
Its bound to be warmer there than here.:Cool:
Bev x

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have an elddis autoquest and have stayed in it when its been -13 with no ehu but was fine inside once gas heating was on. Our fresh water tank is internal but i still only put a few litres in so if it does freeze we wont have any problems, also leave waste tank valve open and pointing in to a container but pipe has froze in the past. When we go to bed at night i always switch the pump off and open the taps just incase.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I'm in my van now at Burrs park Bury. Nice and cosy inside but the waste tank has frozen every evening this week. I aways leave the van with the water pump switched off (just in case). This is a British van with outside grey tank and insulated fresh water tank.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back