Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
VW Gatcombe
Exp
Hi one and all!

I am the proud owner of a VW Gatcombe and we havent had our first night together yet, so its all still got to happen!

I'm just sitting wondering if she'll be proned to getting bogged down because of her weight?? I just dont relish the fear of getting stuck! How can you be sure when you go on campsites, especially if its been raining, which is highly likely in this country during summer??

Would really appreciate some thoughts on this one?

Many thanks!::

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
loads of motorhomes get stuck on wet and boggy fields.

good news is most of them aren't still there.

use your head and walk on the ground first if its solid then you will probably be ok
some rubber mats can help if you park the wheels on them.
and once you have got moving just keep moving 90% will continue to move ok at tick over or just above in 1st gear and build momentum slowly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Consider one of these
images
Seriously it`s not a major issue most campsites have hard standings, I know a few people who use cut down bread trays, they seem to work well if you are unfortunate enough to get in that situation.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

1Oll

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class (German B Class!)
Exp
6+ years
Hi one and all!

I am the proud owner of a VW Gatcombe and we havent had our first night together yet, so its all still got to happen!

I'm just sitting wondering if she'll be proned to getting bogged down because of her weight?? I just dont relish the fear of getting stuck! How can you be sure when you go on campsites, especially if its been raining, which is highly likely in this country during summer??

Would really appreciate some thoughts on this one?

Many thanks!::

Hi, O, Not with your (light) weight!

I gather front wheel drive are worse on wet grass than RWD.

The original idea from the past was to use a bit of old carpet, under both driving wheels, with a string or rope attached to the rear of the vehicle so you don't need to go back to retrieve the them. I carry some relatively thin plastic gripper sheets, but luckily have not had to use them.

B.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
always try to pull onto a pitch so your drive wheels are nearest the road and always, where possible, drive/reverse onto a pitch uphill...never into a depression/hollow.
the downhill exit will help keep moving...setting off uphill, not advisable.

if you should start to spin....STOP AND THINK !...the longer you spin the deeper you get.

have a think how best to get going, different route, reverse, forward, before you dig yourself a nice trench

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

boogie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
VW Gatcombe
Exp
always try to pull onto a pitch so your drive wheels are nearest the road and always, where possible, drive/reverse onto a pitch uphill...never into a depression/hollow.
the downhill exit will help keep moving...setting off uphill, not advisable.

if you should start to spin....STOP AND THINK !...the longer you spin the deeper you get.

have a think how best to get going, different route, reverse, forward, before you dig yourself a nice trench

Hi, O, Not with your (light) weight!

I gather front wheel drive are worse on wet grass than RWD.

The original idea from the past was to use a bit of old carpet, under both driving wheels, with a string or rope attached to the rear of the vehicle so you don't need to go back to retrieve the them. I carry some relatively thin plastic gripper sheets, but luckily have not had to use them.

B.

Many thanks one and all! where would I be without you!!xx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back