LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Since being in Morocco I have been thinking about getting a road legal Quad.
I had one of the early Qpods which was called a funtech and I know they have improved a lot since the early days but am not sure if they are up to the job I want it for. Have been trawling the net and have come up with the Quadzilla which looks pretty sturdy. I don't want a quad that you would ride like a bike but more akin to a buggy. Does any other funsters have one or can give advice as to reliability. Have noticed many for sale with Chinese origins but am a little concerned about there road legalities and parts availability.

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
Quadzilla

Hi, going back a number of years, I had the pleasure of road testing a quadzilla buggy for a firm in Peterborough.
They wanted it 'used' as a daily run about and a proper report done to take back to the manufacturers in china.

Any way the end result was : After using it daily to run back and forth for work, total mileage of 14 miles a day, After 2 days a few of the minor fixings, (small nuts and bolts and screws) Started to work loose.

On the first weekend after a week of use, i spent a full day fixing bits back on.

Second week, was basically the same, picking up the bits that fell off and putting them back on.

Third week the same........rang to report what i have been fixing back on. They told me for the fourth week and fifth week to leave it to fall apart until i felt it unsafe to use...

So i did as asked....half way through the fourth week, larger bolts including head bolts, exhaust bolts and a few fixings that held the space frame together worked loose. I parked it up and then arranged to deliver it back to them...

They were surprised at how bad the quadzilla was.

To sum up..... It would be an ideal buggy to play with on your large plot of land, but to use it for distance work would be no good as it runs a big 500 cc single cylinder engine and it basically vibrates itself to destruction.

so unless you want to continuasly be rebuilding it i would invest a little more money and go Honda Pilote style.

Happy hunting

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It is one of the new Qpods I am afraid.. The one that looks like a small dune buggy..
Its a 2009 model and I am asking £3000 including the towing bar and light board ( no trailer needed ,,, it is so light you just slip the draw bar in the reciptical at the front, lift that up and pop it on the tow bar.. I have towed it all over Europe without incident but with LOADS of fun ! :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Forgot to mention..
If you are serious about getting a quad and want a decent one, look at the Yamaha Raptor rather than the Zilla.. I am constantly getting fone calls from folk looking for parts for them.. No personal experience but either they are darned unreliable or the parts for them are REAL hard to find !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi John, The Qpod is the same as the Secma Funtech I used to own. I too towed it all around Europe on the bar that was an optional extra. The only fault I had with it was the rear suspension began to sag and I once towed it forgetting to put it out of gear,destroying the drive belt. But that was my own fault. I was looking at something a bit more substantial for off roading and unsurfaced roads. Many thanks for the report on the Quadzilla. I will keep searching till I find what am looking for. Whatever I choose it will be used as the Qpod was,towed with the front wheels off the ground,but more suitable for off road use. I have seen a few with the smaller engine ie, 250cc and 350cc. Most of these quads seem to come in kit form from China and some are too cheap to take seriously.
I would like the Polaris but its too pricey for me.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
A friend of mine had a Quadzilla, had a few problems with it and spares were a pain and nobody wanted to work on it or service it, in the end he chopped it in for a Yamaha raptor 800r, happy as a pig in :Cool:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Looked at the Raptor but its a quad bike. I want a quad buggy.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
ahhhhh.., well in that case ... Have a nose at the Honda Rincon.. VERY proper bit of kit and will go up a mountain if asked :thumb:

The other worth while option is the Yamaha Grizzly
Somewhat agriculural but again, will go just about anywhere !

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Dave, google Joyner (if you haven't already?), no personal experience but they look good, parts don't seem an issue and they appear to be routinely made road legal, water cooled so in theory quieter and smoother?

Irrespective of legal issues they too can be towed with a plug in widget and can be had with a proper diff, ie better on road and less tyre scrub.

Something we looked at, and may investigate further in time, really look fun:thumb:

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Sorry to possibly spoil your fun but please do not forget that, whatever the weight, the brakes on any (trailer) wheel in contact with the road must work when the towing vehicle slows down.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Sorry to possibly spoil your fun but please do not forget that, whatever the weight, the brakes on any (trailer) wheel in contact with the road must work when the towing vehicle slows down.

only if brakes are fitted to the wheels in contact with the road.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
only if brakes are fitted to the wheels in contact with the road.

Well someone should mention this to VOSA and the people who import and sell the Qpod

I and my son in law have towed ours for yonks without issue.. Originally when I got mine I was more than a little concerned about that rule.. Went all over the place, police, police vehicle inspection division ( as was .. think it no longer exists as such ), VOSA, and a lawyer I was suggested to who deals solely with traffic law, and no matter I asked the answer was the same ( more or less ).
In SOME instances the wheels in contact with the road have to be braked no matter what the weight of the trailer, but it seems the most miss-quoted ( possibly misunderstood ? ) rule relates to wheels with brakes having to be working if the wheels in question are in contact with the road

I am no legal expert on the matter so pretty unwilling to debate the matter, but I was happy enough with the information and advice I received from every source I went to

The only real downside is that the bloody tyres wear out on the back !

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I had one of the first Funtechs to come into the UK. It was X reg and I towed that thing ALL around Europe with not one pull. I have also Aframed a toad ALL over Europe with not one pull. If its legal or not I don't know and I now want a Quad buggy because its what I want now as its the best thing for ME now. Aframes and towing whatever you want behind motorhomes is entirely at your own risk and there are posts enough on here regarding the legal issues. All I want to know is what is the best buggy out there and have been pointed in the right direction. Many thanks to the ones in the know who have guided me in the right direction.:thumb:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Well someone should mention this to VOSA and the people who import and sell the Qpod

I and my son in law have towed ours for yonks without issue.. Originally when I got mine I was more than a little concerned about that rule.. Went all over the place, police, police vehicle inspection division ( as was .. think it no longer exists as such ), VOSA, and a lawyer I was suggested to who deals solely with traffic law, and no matter I asked the answer was the same ( more or less ).
In SOME instances the wheels in contact with the road have to be braked no matter what the weight of the trailer, but it seems the most miss-quoted ( possibly misunderstood ? ) rule relates to wheels with brakes having to be working if the wheels in question are in contact with the road

I am no legal expert on the matter so pretty unwilling to debate the matter, but I was happy enough with the information and advice I received from every source I went to

The only real downside is that the bloody tyres wear out on the back !

It is my understanding if brakes are fitted they must work, but as Dave said he's into a solution period, frankly, I'd be tempted to just go for it if were me, and see, at 400kgs you'll never know it's there, only ball ache would be by the sounds of it Spanish plod, but who knows, is it a car?????

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
My understanding is, that if you tow behind a vehicle, whatever you are towing becomes a trailer. Trailers weighing OVER 750kgs need overun or other braking, under, you do not.

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
My understanding is, that if you tow behind a vehicle, whatever you are towing becomes a trailer. Trailers weighing OVER 750kgs need overun or other braking, under, you do not.

Although my beliefe is that if you have brakes fitted - no matter what weight - they must work!!

So if you tow a 400 kg quad for example the brakes must work as they are fitted.....

Happy to be corrected though...

Cheyne

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Quads are well under 750 kgs but obviously have brakes. You wouldn't need a brain surgeon to put a simple overrun brake on a quad. I would be lifting the front wheels off the ground with the tow bar and only the rear wheels would be in contact with the road. All lights would work in unison with the towing vehicle, a simple job I have done in the past with my funtech quad and my toad.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just a question. Can you drive it on a car licence or do you need a motorcycle licence? It seems a bit of a grey area.

Am no expert but as it has 4 wheels I would imagine a car licence. But if it has no reverse maybe a bike licence. I have both so its not an issue for me. Most motorhomers SHOULD have a car licence,but having seen some of the antics of a few I wonder sometimes were they got it from :ROFLMAO:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Link Removed

this is what you mean???

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Link Removed

this is what you mean???

That is exactly the type of thing I am looking at. Am not so sure about the build quality of the Quadzilla now but am looking at similar items but from different manufacturers.:thumb:

FULLMOON

Free Member
Jul 16, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
FORD/BONGO CONVERSION
Exp
i'm a newbie
Just a question. Can you drive it on a car licence or do you need a motorcycle licence? It seems a bit of a grey area.

Yes you need a car licence for a quad or a kart :Cool: And they are all restricted . All the ones you see on the road have had restrictors taken out this means they are not insured :cry: I sell them any questions you can ring me on 01647440115 :thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
As we asked I am sure Jim would not mind if you posted some info /pics on what you sell

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having taken the advice of the learned members of Motorhome fun I am now the proud owner of a Joyner 650. Purchased tonight off good old ebay. One problem though.........The damned thing is 4000 miles away in the UK and I want to play NOW.:Sad::cry::Sad::cry:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Errrrrrrrrrrrrr.. beg to differ

The official title is 'heavy quadricycle'

There is even a little car that falls in the same category.. Those weird little 2 cylinder diesel engined things..
They can be driven on either a full car licence or a full bike licence.. They fall in the ONLY catagory that is like this. Category is ( from memory ) L7 or L7E

As said they should be restricted ( 20bHP ) to be legal..

And yes, used to sell both road legal quads and worked for a place that sold those funny little cars to bikers who no longer wanted to get wet or get flies in their teeth :winky:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just found this.. May be of interest ?

Broken Link Removed