Free Member
Jan 30, 2012
Powys - Englishman
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 875G
Exp
Motorhome virgin
Hi again yes im new, can anyone please tell me the best way to boil my kettle, run my heating, would it be solar or generator and if so can you suggest makes and links would be useful, thanks again :thumb:

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Hi again yes im new, can anyone please tell me the best way to boil my kettle, run my heating, would it be solar or generator and if so can you suggest makes and links would be useful, thanks again :thumb:

best way to boil kettle is on gas:thumb:
next is on hookup
followed by generator
unless you buy 12v job:Smile:
same for heating,
Regards
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi again yes im new, [HI]can anyone please tell me the best way to boil my kettle[/HI], run my heating, would it be solar or generator and if so can you suggest makes and links would be useful, thanks again :thumb:

This link should help with the kettle.......link

Upvote 0

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
You may find it easier to boil the water, boiling a kettle usually ends up a big molten mess (just ask my dad, electric kettle gas hob, not the best idea)

oops, just seen it..... Location: Powys - Englishman..

Bring out the Bows and arrows.... Another invader has got through....

Welcome to Fun...

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Place kettle in a large pan of boiling water :Doh:i just can't stop laughing at this, sorry:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
:sorry2: ...........

We use solar-panels mainly (130w + 2x110a batts), covers most of our needs - lights,waterpumps,laptop/phones, Truma fans etc.
2kva generator for backup. Gas for cooking/kettles/heating.

:thumb:

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
buy a kettle you can use on a gas ring, it is the best way. 240 electric items you will need either ehu or genny.
Solar panels will charge your batteries but to run 240 stuff off your house batteries you will need an inverter comparable to the watts/amps needed and it will kill your house batteries quickly.
Things like a tv or your lappy or charging your phone could be run off a small inverter, the house batteries generally run the lights and waterpump and the blown air heating if you have it

Upvote 0

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
if useing mains electric ( hookup or genny) buy a small low wattage travel kettle, also buy a small kettle sutable for a gass hob, one form a camping outlet is best as it should be lighter in wieght.

or go to a cafe

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Why use heat to boil water when you don’t need it? Just seal the kettle and get yourself a little vacuum pump. It will boil in no time at all. Welcome........:Wacko:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
N6skp I do offer you apologies. Asking a question here at any time is akin to waltzing in a minefield. Asking one late into the evening is as productive as playing Russian Roulette with an Uzi.

One of your advisors sniffs glue so much he has the nick-name "Sticky". The rest, well, they keep many vineyards thriving in these hard times. By 21:00 most nights you can monitor their share value rising. Some nights it peaks as early as 20:00.

Please don't take any of this as a personal attack, it's a sad condition that under normal circumstances is controlled by our glorious leader, he who must be obeyed, Long Jim Sun, son of Long Jim Sam, grandson of Long Jim Sin, delaying such posts until early morning but at present he is taking a much needed rest, or he may be dead, we are not sure.

Now to your questions.

1. Plug in, switch ON.
2. Switch ON.

Upvote 0

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Your losing it Brian !!!!

N6skp I do offer you apologies. Asking a question here at any time is akin to waltzing in a minefield. Asking one late into the evening is as productive as playing Russian Roulette with an Uzi.

One of your advisors sniffs glue so much he has the nick-name "Sticky". The rest, well, they keep many vineyards thriving in these hard times. By 21:00 most nights you can monitor their share value rising. Some nights it peaks as early as 20:00.

Please don't take any of this as a personal attack, it's a sad condition that under normal circumstances is controlled by our glorious leader, he who must be obeyed, Long Jim Sun, son of Long Jim Sam, grandson of Long Jim Sin, delaying such posts until early morning but at present he is taking a much needed rest, or he may be dead, we are not sure.

Now to your questions.

1. Plug in, switch ON.
2. Switch ON.
Switch on twice, surely not !:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Kettles! :Eeek:

I tweek the noses of kettles and pour scorn on their spouts...

Why waste space with a dedicated utensil with only one use when you can use a saucepan which has many uses (including being hit with when one steps out of line) ?

JJ :Cool:

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Kettles! :Eeek:

I tweek the noses of kettles and pour scorn on their spouts...

Why waste space with a dedicated utensil with only one use when you can use a saucepan which has many uses (including being hit with when one steps out of line) ?

I always think it tastes different out of a saucepan.

But thats probably just me:Doh:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have a gas one you can boil on a ring, and a low wattage (1KW) which we sometimes use in the summer in a layby from the inverter if its hot to avoid heating up the inside of the van. On a nice sunny day the solar will replace the loss in the batteries in about an hour. also use the electric one on EHU if available without charge.
I wouldn't bother with a 12v kettle as it will take ages to boil.

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
a friend of mine has a 24 volt kettle in his truck and it takes 37.5 miles to boil :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2008
ireland
Funster No
MH
class a r.v.
Exp
10yrs

tell me cios i ain t stpped pissing meself larrrrrrrrrrffffffffffffffiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggg

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Never seen a switch type socket in a MH !!!!:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

[HI]And JJ....you copying my post ?????[/HI]

A serious accusation young Stephen... :Sad:

Your point was about saving money (measuring exact amount of water etc) and speed (never in a rush myself these days :winky:) and mine was about saving space...

...and look at the poetic use of our beautiful language in my (format lifted from Blackadder) prose...:restmycase:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back