LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
We got to buy a new Electric Heater,,,, our little fan heater has given up the ghost...:cry:

What is the most economical... A Fan Heater or an Oil filled Radiator. ??

Thanks.. :thumb:

Annoying thing is we have a Delongi Oil Filled Radiator at home which we occasionally put in the RV when it gets very cold back home, but didn`t bring it cos of space.. :Sad:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We got to buy a new Electric Heater,,,, our little fan heater has given up the ghost...:cry:

What is the most economical... A Fan Heater or an Oil filled Radiator. ??

Thanks.. :thumb:

Annoying thing is we have a Delongi Oil Filled Radiator at home which we occasionally put in the RV when it gets very cold back home, but didn`t bring it cos of space.. :Sad:

Hi Mo ...

watt for watt.. exactly the same.. and both are 100% efficient .. check the wattage before buying .. 1,000 watts ( 1kw) uses about 4.5amps .. (watts / voltage = amps )

also bear in the mind the running cost if you are on 'pay per kwh' site .. can be expensive.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Hi Mo ...

watt for watt.. exactly the same.. and both are 100% efficient .. check the wattage before buying .. 1,000 watts ( 1kw) uses about 4.5amps .. (watts / voltage = amps )

also bear in the mind the running cost if you are on 'pay per kwh' site .. can be expensive.

Morning Jim.... Thanks for that..

As we have an Oil one at home I will probably go down the small Fan heater route again..

Yes we are on pay as you use (Meter).... that`s why I was asking..

Thanks mate.. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Good morning Mo, I think a fan heater gives better circulation of heat :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It would be cheaper to heat using LPG .. but I appreciate you have a tank and it's not always easy or convenient to fill it up in Spain.

if you have a BBQ gas point you could plug in a Spanish bottle (with a bottle regulator) .. that's what I did.. also ran my fridge on LPG.. .. couldn't see a way of running the TV on gas tho ..:roflmto:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
It would be cheaper to heat using LPG .. but I appreciate you have a tank and it's not always easy or convenient to fill it up in Spain.

if you have a BBQ gas point you could plug in a Spanish bottle (with a bottle regulator) .. that's what I did.. also ran my fridge on LPG.. .. couldn't see a way of running the TV on gas tho ..:roflmto:

Thanks again Jim...

Went to see (from when we lived here) an old neighbour and he said he would lend me a gas bottle...

I have a bottle connector and an extenda stay fitted.. :thumb:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
A fan heater is using leccy all the time its running, whereas an oil filled jobby is thermostatic !:thumb:

The fan heater has worked well Steve... switching on an off OK, depending what thermostat setting we were using.. :thumb:

See you shortly.. ::bigsmile:

1Oll

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class (German B Class!)
Exp
6+ years
Greenhouse Fan Heater

I use a greenhouse fan heater, they can be used as a normal fan heaters. In the winter I just use the frost stat setting to just keep the temperature over 0 deg.
Purchased from a charity stall at a car boot sale for £10(brand new in box). I've seen similar for sale at Aldi and Lidl occasionally. I presume that they are designed to be used in rougher conditions than a normal fan heater. I don't use the MHs heater unless we are on a trip, to save expensive repairs in the future.
B.

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
Which heater type???

We have tried several types over recent winters even though we DO have 2 large Gaslow cylinders in place...for the onboard Ducted air system

My take on this is that a FAN heater does do the job OK and circulates warmer air around- BUT my mind always seem to wander back to - How do you cool things down?? Blow on it!

With different AMPs available on different sites especially in the EU we have finally settled for the Inexpensive 'Infra red' type instant heat heaters....There are Two versions generally available 2 Bars [ 400 + 400 watt] or 3 bars [400+400+400 watts] switchable Even for the larger version a £20 note should manage to buy one....certainley up here in Yorkshire !!:Smile:

They do 'Glow' rather brightly though., and that may not suit everyone.....BUT seeing HEAT seems to do the trick for us....

Hope this helps...David & Liz:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Mo, ours just died and it was the poxy power plug ( molded on one.. Cut it off and fitted a 'normal' one.. everything back to normal... Def worth a try for a few minutes work mate

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Mo, ours just died and it was the poxy power plug ( molded on one.. Cut it off and fitted a 'normal' one.. everything back to normal... Def worth a try for a few minutes work mate

Hi Mate... How is you.. ?

Do you miss me.. ? :winky::ROFLMAO:

Ditched the old heater, and bought a new one, think the plug looked ok.. it wasn`t a moulded one... The light comes on but the fan didn`t go round.... so I think the fan was knackered.. :Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back