Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
O2.15 the alarm on the RV went off this morning.. suffering this a lot of late.. I thought leave it for the 29 seconds (cannot get to the key fob in that time in any case) ...it will reset it's self. No it goes off again.. by this time we are up on the way to get dressed and get the keys to cancel the alarm... it stops after the next cycle... so it went of two then stopped - strange.

In the end to give us and the house around us some peace I have had to turn it off and let the winnebago alarm stay in place.

It appears from the flashing light on the dash 5 flashes it is the break glass system (again) .. last week I turned the pedometer down half a turn as it went off 3 times in two days...

I can see a long road trip to somerset coming to go back under the extended warranty to have the system looked at.

Alarms are wonderful until you get this intermit ant fault. Had the alarm (in to third year) and no real issues.. this one has now happened a few times over the life of it. But it is getting worse. Cannot understand the issue as the RV has not moved since end September other than running up the engine every week to 10 days.

I took out the extend warranty last July so I am covered, just means a 300 mile round trip..Blast.

Eddie if you read this some advice would be welcome? nothing has fallen down or moved... it was -2 last night, but it has been that before recently and in the past and no snow.

Bob

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
O2.15 the alarm on the RV went off this morning.. suffering this a lot of late.. I thought leave it for the 29 seconds (cannot get to the key fob in that time in any case) ...it will reset it's self. No it goes off again.. by this time we are up on the way to get dressed and get the keys to cancel the alarm... it stops after the next cycle... so it went of two then stopped - strange.

In the end to give us and the house around us some peace I have had to turn it off and let the winnebago alarm stay in place.

It appears from the flashing light on the dash 5 flashes it is the break glass system (again) .. last week I turned the pedometer down half a turn as it went off 3 times in two days...

I can see a long road trip to somerset coming to go back under the extended warranty to have the system looked at.

Alarms are wonderful until you get this intermit ant fault. Had the alarm (in to third year) and no real issues.. this one has now happened a few times over the life of it. But it is getting worse. Cannot understand the issue as the RV has not moved since end September other than running up the engine every week to 10 days.

I took out the extend warranty last July so I am covered, just means a 300 mile round trip..Blast.

Eddie if you read this some advice would be welcome? nothing has fallen down or moved... it was -2 last night, but it has been that before recently and in the past and no snow.

Bob
a classic trick of some thiefs is to set an alarm off,and let the owner reset alarm.and keep setting it off untill the owner thinks he has a fault,and switches the alarm off compleatly,and then they just help them self:Eeek:,not saying this is the problem in your case:thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Perhaps you have a "Spider".. in the RV..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it would have to be big Mo

Perhaps you have a "Spider".. in the RV..

It would have to be a big one Mo............

I even checked the alarm loop from the RV which goes round the trailer A frame in case a fox had chewed through the wire.. but it is all in tact.. I would not mind if it was every day then I could disable the interior and just set the outside alarms.. but it happens now and then.

I am hoping Eddie will pick up on the thread to give some advice.

Bob

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
thought about rodents

or a mouse:Eeek:

No signs Chris of any droppings and as VanBitz wire in such a way I doubt it would be the cause and then if it had been a chewed wire the alarms would be going off all the time.

Noted what you said about someone setting it off... but the RV is blocked in by the big trailer and a car as well, so there is not a lot of point trying to take it.. the B button alarm still protects the out side of the RV.

We adjusted the pedometer by 1/4 turn to take of some of the sensitivity.. we test it by dropping a baseball to the floor.. before the adjustment it did not take a lot to set it off.. now if has to be dropped from knee height so it needs a fair amount to make it go off.. so I suspect it is an issue or fault in the unit?

Bob

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
setting a mouse trap

Spoke to VanBitz first thing this morning and we are going to use the night mode alarm for the time being and set some mouse traps to see if there is a possibility of a rodent of some kind... will report back.

Bob

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Spoke to VanBitz first thing this morning and we are going to use the night mode alarm for the time being and set some mouse traps to see if there is a possibility of a rodent of some kind... will report back.

Bob
I was going to suggest the traps, the little blighters can get anywhere. My brother had them in his van, caused no end of damage total bill was huge. Wiring looms cushions pipe work etc. A motorhome is a great temptation for a little mouse when it is cold outside. Always best to keep a trap or two inside when you are not using it.:Eeek:

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
Link Removed

i had a spider bob and had to catch him,,,no chance :ROFLMAO: so off to pet smart to get a fume bomb ,, kills ,,,, fleas,, ticks,,, also a lot of other things and SPIDERS dog is ok to go in r/v after 1 day,but i left it shut for two before nemo and milo were let back in,,, got rid of the spider and all is well :thumb:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

Bob

I have just read this and I believe you have just spoken to some one at VB HQ

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yes spoke to VB HQ

Yes spoke to VB HQ Eddie.. suggestion to put the mice traps down and use the night alarm system.

will see what happens over the coming week.. if not I can see us coming to visit in early March once we put the RV back on the road.....

will keep you posted.

Bob:thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
This may be a daft question but then I'm not very technically minded and don't know what powers a VanBitz alarm anyway - could it possibly be a battery issue? cos you can get that in v cold weather on normal car alarms .....

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it is connected to the mains Jenny

This may be a daft question but then I'm not very technically minded and don't know what powers a VanBitz alarm anyway - could it possibly be a battery issue? cos you can get that in v cold weather on normal car alarms .....

Jenny the RV is connected to the mains .... we have a Sterling inverter charger which keeps the house batteries charged... we also have a battery master that takes a top up charge from the house batteries to the engine battery so it is always fully charged.

We have a NASA MB1 fitted and that tells us the state of battery charge on the house batteries.

The Winnebago also when underway passes the extra battery power from the engine back to the rear house batteries ... The Ford has a 140 amp hour facility so has bags of extra redundant power.. the charge can be seen on the NASA BM1 once the engine has had it's boost after start up and tops the engine back to full.

Our batteries are always at there peak using the various items we have (Supplied by VanBitz).

It is either a mouse or the sensor is faulty. VanBitz HQ is on the job and we will monitor it for a week or so and see if any mouse trips the trap... that way we will know..

We have set the RV to sleep mode to save waking the street up.

Bob

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
You would be amazed what livestock we have pulled out of vans over the years! Great big hairy spiders on USA imports! Dangerous one too! Well not as dangerous as a 16 stone man with a shoe:ROFLMAO:

Rabits, squirrels, Preying Mantis larve, coackroaches, mice, rats even on one occasion an illegal immigrant dropped out from a hidden compartment on an RV straight back from Morocco!

I suffered with about £1000 of damage in a brand new 36' RV that we had had about one week before going to Corsica. After me telling Lyn she had had too much vino as she was convinced that she could hear things moving around in the ducted air conditioning, one night I heard it too!

After a month in Corsica, we left to find that half the dash controls didn't work. We got home and didn't use the van for about three weeks until I needed to get it ready for the Bath & West show in August!

The Corsican mice had dropped off the trees onto the roof. Got in through the Air Conditioning, and used the ducting like Highway 66

At the cab end, nibbled through the insulation and came down the windscreen "A" pillar into the area under the dash!

From there, straight into the blown air heating ducts which gave unfettered access to create havoc throughout the brand new RV:Angry:

This always makes me giggle Link Removed

Ho Hum

Eddie

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
you are welcome to hunt my mouse anyway

You are welcome to hunt my mouse any day Eddie...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

was thinking of leaving the cat in the RV.. but then he is useless.

Bob

Last edited:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
You would be amazed what livestock we have pulled out of vans over the years! Great big hairy spiders on USA imports! Dangerous one too! Well not as dangerous as a 16 stone man with a shoe:ROFLMAO:

Rabits, squirrels, Preying Mantis larve, coackroaches, mice, rats even on one occasion an illegal immigrant dropped out from a hidden compartment on an RV straight back from Morocco!

I suffered with about £1000 of damage in a brand new 36' RV that we had had about one week before going to Corsica. After me telling Lyn she had had too much vino as she was convinced that she could hear things moving around in the ducted air conditioning, one night I heard it too!

After a month in Corsica, we left to find that half the dash controls didn't work. We got home and didn't use the van for about three weeks until I needed to get it ready for the Bath & West show in August!

The Corsican mice had dropped off the trees onto the roof. Got in through the Air Conditioning, and used the ducting like Highway 66

At the cab end, nibbled through the insulation and came down the windscreen "A" pillar into the area under the dash!

From there, straight into the blown air heating ducts which gave unfettered access to create havoc throughout the brand new RV:Angry:

This always makes me giggle Link Removed

Ho Hum

Eddie
an illegal immigrant dropped out from a hidden compartment on an RV straight back from Morocco:RollEyes:
who you trying to kid??:Doh:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
remember Garry with his one

an illegal immigrant dropped out from a hidden compartment on an RV straight back from Morocco:RollEyes:
who you trying to kid??:Doh:

Gary who is a member and has an RV TOFFSRV) got an illegal in France under his RV... only problem was he was heading towards Paris and not home.

Bob

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It was really funny! There was a rally at Cornish Farm and a couple had driven up through Spain in one hit since leaving the ferry from Morocco.

They got to Bilbao and took the ferry to Plymouth which is only about one and half hours from us!

I had wandered over to the campsite and was enjoying a beer with Mark and Sue the wardens, and the couple that were organising the rally. This dirty great big RV pulled up and the drivers were recognised by the rally organisers

"Oh look, it's Beryl and John" just then Abdul dropped out from under the RV, covered in dust and legged it off down the road!

Mark our warden was off after him like a shot and collared him!

Abdul was frog marched down to Van Bitz reception and (this bit I don't fully understand) was fed Kit Kats and Hot Chocolate from our vending machine whilst waiting for the Old Bill

Was he taken away, I wish to say, to be deported and never darken our shores again!

However, he often waves as he cycles around Taunton on his bike, wearing his designer T shirts and shorts. I guess that he must be a success story in his village by now! "Did I ever tell you about Rich Uncle Adbul that lives is Taunton":Sad:

I wonder why all these people risk their lives to get here:Eeek:

Eddie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back