Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
LOCHRANZA CAMPSITE
ISLE OF ARRAN
KA27 8HL
Tel: 01770 830273

The wife and i are thinking of going in August, has anyone been to the island? it looks stunning.
Also just got a quote on the ferry crossing £150:Eeek: return two adults plus motorhome for 4 days and campsite with EH £20 a night. :Smile:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Not been to Arran, I shoot each year in Scotland / September and there are midges still then but I'm told they're at there worst in August.

Looking round Scotland has to be one of the best MH holidays there is.......Griff
:thumb:

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
A lovely part of the world but be prepared for midge torment , Avon Skin So Soft helps keep the blighters at bay but they can spoil your holiday , although last year on the West Coast was not the worst iv'e seen for them .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Yes, I have a good knowledge Arran, my eldest son lived in Lochranza.. just across from the camp site .. next to the Whisky distillery ..

It is a lovely island , some say Scotland in miniature.. I don't think I could spend more than a few days, perhaps a week .. you can go around in one day..

I suggest the ferry from Ardrossan, spend a few days sightseeing then leave by the Lochranza ferry and explore Mull of Kintyre or further north toward Oban .. depends how much time you have .. someone else asked this question and I made a Google map with some places to park.. have a look, if you need more info please ask ..

Click on the map POIs there are a few pictures..
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=207590977793691629247.000499496962e0aa93a16&msa=0

OP
OP
ROB1CHELSEA1
Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Cheers for the reply Popeye (rhyme)

just been looking it up and people reccomend going in April or September any month between that and we'll be eaten alive:cry:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Cheers for the reply Popeye (rhyme)

just been looking it up and people reccomend going in April or September any month between that and we'll be eaten alive:cry:

Yes I've been up in April (still a bit Chilly and often damp) September and even a good October is very good. Kids are back at school and the place feels empty.

I Love it, but then I love the Scots too. Dry humoured bunch of Beggars.....
:Smile:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
OP
OP
ROB1CHELSEA1
Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
The wife is a teacher at a deaf blind school so we can only go away during the school holidays and we're already booked for cornwall in april.

Great map Scotjimland will deffo ask more questions about Scotland from you, we have family in Edinborough and i have contracts in Gleneagles and now Aberdeen but really want to see the west coast at some point.:thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
The wife is a teacher at a deaf blind school so we can only go away during the school holidays and we're already booked for cornwall in april.

Great map Scotjimland will deffo ask more questions about Scotland from you, we have family in Edinborough and i have contracts in Gleneagles and now Aberdeen but really want to see the west coast at some point.:thumb:

Arran is beautiful! I know the ferry price is a shocker, but so are the prices from Cairn Ryan across to Belfast:Eeek:

I prefer the west coast to the east coast without a doubt, the scenery is stunning and the ferrry journey across is wonderful providing it is a nice clear day. I find the west coast to have far more interesting scenery......but no doubt someone else with disagree. We lived in Largs for a few years and the whole of the Clyde coast will always be my favourite:thumb:
The ferry journey from Gourock to Dunoon is lovely, but so is the one from Wemyss Bay across to the Isle of Bute (Rothesay as it's better known).

Never mind all the talk about midges........you'll love Arran:thumb:

I agree with blamehofman about the Avon Skin So Soft, I was given this tip before:thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Not been to Arran, I shoot each year in Scotland / September and there are midges still then but I'm told they're at there worst in August.

Looking round Scotland has to be one of the best MH holidays there is.......Griff
:thumb:

You really ought to "man-up" about these midges you know........they're no worse than the mozzies in France:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
..............Nice work Jim, have to say that looks Idyllic.........cheers....Griff

thanks..

the roads around and across the island and quite narrow but generally fine for a Eurovan ... plenty of good wild camping spots on the west side ..

Our last visit was in 2010, went from Ardrossan, stopped a few days at Lochranza, then took the Lochranza ferry, onto Oban then to Sky .. this was camping not in a motorhome..

It rained a lot and yes there were a lot of midges at Sky .. but this is Scotland.. not south of Spain.. rain and midges are probably what keep it so pristine and wild..

If midges are bad.. and they can be, best bet is a midge head net.. cheap and works well. If Scotland gets independence, Alex has promised to ban midges.. :ROFLMAO:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
You really ought to "man-up" :notworthy:about these midges you know........they're no worse than the mozzies in France:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

They don't really bother me, except they make my ears bleed, not directly you understand but from the bleating I have to put up with from my first wife......the current Mrs Griff.:ROFLMAO:

The only place I've been and wish I'd worn some kind of net was Egypt, valley of the tombs, the flies drove me bleedin' mad.

Not yet encountered the mozzies in France, I do recall a couple of years ago sailing along the Dorset Coast when a swarm of Flying ants seemed to get attracted to the white sails.

My wife fled below, closed all hatches and I had to single hand for an hour until the worst was over, that was unpleasant.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back