Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
We are booked with P&O in April and from memory when I booked I selected up to 6.5m.

Our MH is just short of 6.5m, so no problems there.

However, that was before we decided we are going to take the bikes.

So, we have 4 options, what do you think?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, we have a bike rack so will be over 6.5m

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I can't see them getting the tape out.

Travelbug1

Free Member
Aug 12, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 yr
Ermm, they do get the tape out sometimes and can be rather funny on a busy crossing - you may get away withit but equally you could get a bill for the extra length.
I would put them in the garage just in case.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Ermm, they do get the tape out sometimes and can be rather funny on a busy crossing - you may get away withit but equally you could get a bill for the extra length.
I would put them in the garage just in case.

I didn't realise that:Eeek:

I will bear that in mind from now on:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Never seen them measure.. I'd play dumb.. which aint hard :roflmto:

I did try that trick on way back, never mentioned I had a trailer, but that's trying it on .. :roflmto:

got rumbled.... Link Removed

and had to pay the extra.. can but try ..

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Craig
From past experience of the same there has never been a prob, we are with P & O this sunday bikes under the bed but bike rack down and loaded with stuff, van 7.4 mt, in the past with bikes on never a prob, just go for it. Pete :thumb::thumb::thumb:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Yes I'm the one who voted to own up. Turn the question on its head, what if they wanted to charge you as a 6.5 metre plus but your van was only 6.49 metres, would you argue it or accept it? Be honest with yourself.

To anybody who is of the "its a huge company tey can afford it" school just think on, SeaFrance have just gone tits up and they weren't a twopenny outfit. If you would like there to be a P&O this time next year then be honest.

D.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
And I am the other, a clear conscience is what should help you sleep at night you made a mistake now you realise that you should do the right thing.Sorry but you did ask what we think:RollEyes:

Ps I thought this was going to be another medical post

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
On all my ferry trips they always seem too busy to be checking to that detail and the odd vehicle another 2ft longer on such large vessels is a drop in the ocean , no pun intended. For me I never take the risk, can't relax if looking over my shoulder :Smile:

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi

Believe me they do get the tape out, when we sailed from Hull to Rotterdam in september, we got charged an extra £42 as we were 1.5 ft longer than stated on the ticket, their fault not ours and the ferry was only half full and the loaders didnt realise we were left hand drive and were watching the wrong side as they parked us up resulting in damage to our awning cover which we had just had replaced, we were not happy . So dont play dumb fes up.

Mick

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Do they ask the length of the van?

or

Do they ask the length of the van with a bike rack on it?

JJ :Cool:

As JJ mentions here they ask for van length and also ask if there are any roof mounted bikes.

I always put length of van in without the bikes and never been questioned yet using ferry and tunnel. They did get the tape out when crossing to the isle of cumbrae once so had to pay £10 extra but didnt have bikes on either.

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
At Portsmouth I believe they have metre makings on the ground at the front of the lines where you queue up to wait to ship, so it's quite easy to check your actual length.

When I was driving an RV to Le mans for a company they came out and measured us all (there were over 8 of us)!

Having said that, I have never been measured at Dover Newhaven or Pembroke/Fishguard.

Regards Pat

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Be practical if stopped remove bikes from carrier and put inside van for duration of crossing,
unlikely to happen but theres the solution ,you wont be using rear of van during crossing.
:thumb:

by the way the booking page says on right hand side please state length of your vehicle to nearest 50 cm ,thats half a metre your bike rack is unlikely to protrude more than that!!
regards
Steve

carry on then

Free Member
Oct 25, 2011
.EU
Funster No
MH
camper sort of thingy
Exp
about 5 minutes
Be practical if stopped remove bikes from carrier and put inside van for duration of crossing,
unlikely to happen but theres the solution ,you wont be using rear of van during crossing.
:thumb:
regards
Steve

+1 for that.
Take a chance , you've nothing to lose, just say what you told us and if they question it offer to put the bikes in the garage or hab .

edit
from P&O site under Motorhomes
information

Some of our sailings have limited space for larger vehicles. Please specify the length of your vehicle / trailer to the nearest 50cm.

6ft = 1.83m approx.
well you measured at 6.5m approx didnt you .......

and
include any roof rack, roof box or roof mounted cycles - No mention of rear mounted racks

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
truth or dare

Well stuff leaving them at home :RollEyes:. I've crossed on a few routes and never been checked. I have only ever told them the length without including the rack. If I had been challenged I'd have put them inside before boarding.

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
watched 4 motor home owners fork out money to dfds about 5/6 weeks ago,,, they checked all the m/h's going to england from france 2 eu ones and 2 gb ones ,and the english were told you pay doulbe ,eh whent one guy,,they said you came with us you pay for this on the way here and you pay to go home ?? no pay no go ,,, AND FORGET TAPE MESURES LAZER BEAMS hight lenth withh ect ...good job they got my details on file :whatthe::whatthe:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Bet you did,nt know I was a p.o motorhome measurer by trade:ROFLMAO:

I knew Del, Roger told me, he also told me he's been openly lying about his length all his adult life......I bet he's not the only one..........Griff :Blush:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Looking at this another way you are booked for a certain time ferry everyone in front of you is slightly over length you are at the back of the queue,because the ones in front lied there is no room for you at the back!

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I have know them measure vehicles as well as not, I would give them the correct length, but up to you as more chance of not being measured than being measured, but if it is a full ferry then could have problems.

All the best Rick

carry on then

Free Member
Oct 25, 2011
.EU
Funster No
MH
camper sort of thingy
Exp
about 5 minutes
Ferries are never full ! , All cross channel services run with space on the freight decks, they never completely fill those up :winky:

how do i know this ?, as an HGV driver doing European work . In fact ive looked round a few MH's on the bottom decks over the years whilst waiting to disembark.

Its down to the individual what they choose to pay for, or not pay for , but reading P&O own rules there is no mention of rear mounted bike racks, and they ask for the length of the MH , not for anything demountable that overhangs the rear.

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
no jim,,,,, you now with m/h have to go through the lorry check lane at dun'k and they scan the whole m/h for llegal Immigrants under neath.. inside.. and top ,also use the gas probe in the lockers ?? when i asked why the change its because the english immagration is now in charge off all the dock ,.before it was the french,so now they have made it tighter,the bonus for dfds is it prints all the len/hight/with,,,,and weight simples she said it makes our job easy and should make check in easyer :thumb::thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Ferries are never full ! , All cross channel services run with space on the freight decks, they never completely fill those up :winky:

how do i know this ?, as an HGV driver doing European work . In fact ive looked round a few MH's on the bottom decks over the years whilst waiting to disembark.

Its down to the individual what they choose to pay for, or not pay for , but reading P&O own rules there is no mention of rear mounted bike racks, and they ask for the length of the MH , not for anything demountable that overhangs the rear.

I have worked and actually loaded the vehicle decks for both P&O and Stena as well as P&O Stena Line when they merged for a while.

Ferries do get full, mainly at peak times though, school hols etc.

I have seen cars loaded at different angles to maximise the use of space by the bow or stern doors, and also called for small (toad size) cars so as to load all the remaining space.

Callum

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Although an old thread, I thought I'd post what I have done.

With the crossing coming up in just over a week and we have decided to take the bikes. I phoned P&O this morning and told them that the length has gone up to around 7m from 6.5m and they ammended the booking.

The cost......................................................................

.........was £0.00! ::bigsmile:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
It always pays long term Karma is a wonderful thing

Join us or log in to post a reply.