Free Member
May 1, 2008
Bangor N.Ireland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
Hi all, does anyone keep their spare tyre on the roof, if so , how"s it done? Thought about making a spare wheel carrier for the hitch but, a) I"ve only got the tyre, and wheel"s seem like hens teeth, and b) the wheel and tyre combo" may be too heavy to handle. Any ideas much appreciated as, normally we chuck the tyre in the Toad but I fancy France without dragging it behind this year.:Smile: Thanks.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hi all, does anyone keep their spare tyre on the roof, if so , how"s it done? Thought about making a spare wheel carrier for the hitch but, a) I"ve only got the tyre, and wheel"s seem like hens teeth, and b) the wheel and tyre combo" may be too heavy to handle. Any ideas much appreciated as, normally we chuck the tyre in the Toad but I fancy France without dragging it behind this year.:Smile: Thanks.

I carry my spare tyre round my middle....................I know.....I should go on a diet:ROFLMAO:

I'm sorry but not much help:getmecoat:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Paulh, we've travelled the length of Europe with the spare on the roof, getting it up there was the main problem, but I put it in a big black bag (uv protection) opened the sunroof and pushed it out from the inside. A few straps to fix it securely into a corner of the roof rack and hey presto, 28kg kg of ugly rubber and metal is nicely out of the way. Sods law dictates that if you have it, you it shouldn't need it.

All the best

Richard

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
on my RV the spair was in the rear belly locker taking up much needed space.

I had a mount fitted on the roof
a large galvanized plate 20mm larger than the outer radius of the wheel
1.5mm thick
in the middle a centre post with a screw thread in the top bolted to the plate
and the plate fixed to the roof
the weight of the Tyre is spread over the area
a bolt through a steel plate 1500mm x 30mm x 5mm screws in to the post holding the Tyre in place this is then covered with a wheel cover over the whole fitting keeping out the rain dirt ect.

the whole thing cost me £21.00 including bonding sealant

the Tyre is heavy and i used a rope to pull the wheel up the rear ladder on to the roof and the same rout to get it back down again

in 3 years i have never needed to take it down

hope this helps.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Our spare has been all over the van :ROFLMAO:It came from underneath, to the ladder on the back,fixed to a bracket that I made.Then it went strapped to the roof rack and now it resides in the roof box.::bigsmile:
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I couldn't lift mine onto the roof.. a 22.5" rim and tyre weigh an absolute ton .. barely lift it let alone haul onto the roof. .. and too big for a belly locker..

Tried on top of the tow hitch but it was restricting the air flow from the engine, also made it a chore to access the engine compartment.. so ended up strapping it under the main chassis rails using heavy duty ratchet straps..

Had the rim imported from the States.. by Linda at Stateside Tuning

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
My spare tyre fits into the slide out tray in one of my lockers, I make use of the space inside the tyre for filters straps etc and then cut the bottom off a water butt to fit inside the tyre and the sun loungers rest on this to save the tyre from being flattened!

23krr7d.jpg

28h0a9t.jpg

Regards Pat

OP
OP
P

Paulh

Free Member
May 1, 2008
Bangor N.Ireland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
My spare tyre fits into the slide out tray in one of my lockers, I make use of the space inside the tyre for filters straps etc and then cut the bottom off a water butt to fit inside the tyre and the sun loungers rest on this to save the tyre from being flattened!

23krr7d.jpg

28h0a9t.jpg

Regards Pat

Nice one Pat, I"m sorry to say we don"t have a locker big enough. Silly question but, if you"re bolting through the roof a(do you have to be veeerrry careful not drill through any ducts/wiring ,and ,b) and do you end up with an ugly bolthead in the ceiling ?:Doh: I "m not afraid to try DIY , just afraid of the results.......:cry:

frenchypilot

Free Member
May 31, 2011
France CENTRAL
Funster No
MH
class A
Exp
IHave the spare wheel/tyre hitched under the Pilot Galaxy. Its a proper cage fitted for the purpose. I would not be able to lift the spare onto the roof lwithout assistance. No idea how much your spare weighs so make sure its not too heavy to lift from where ever you intend to stow it. See a lot of M/Hs with spares affixed to cycle carrier or ladder but do make sure it has some sort of security device fitted.

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
Same as ScotJimLand strapped mine underneath between chassis rails with two lorry ratchet straps, been there over a year France and back etc never budged :Smile:
Dave

tommy_transit

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
north east
Funster No
MH
renault trafic
Exp
im a newbie
hi guys n gals,

lots of ideas here but how many of you that have secured your spare wheel on the roof or under the van have checked to see if it is still at the right pressure, only asking cos i have a car with the spare on the rear door and just happened to lean on it and it was flat, alloy wheels are porous so just check now as you may have problems when you need it. :winky:

tommy

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Nice one Pat, I"m sorry to say we don"t have a locker big enough. Silly question but, if you"re bolting through the roof a(do you have to be veeerrry careful not drill through any ducts/wiring ,and ,b) and do you end up with an ugly bolthead in the ceiling ?:Doh: I "m not afraid to try DIY , just afraid of the results.......:cry:

Although it may seem more convenient to store the spare wheel on the roof there are problems with getting it up there and then getting it down. My first RV a Fleetwood Pace Arrow had the spare wheel on the roof, in the middle at the front,

100_1132.jpg

On the way home from collecting the Fleeetwood I had a rear blow out and as luck would have it the previous owner had left a jack and wheel brace to change a wheel. As I was on my own, getting the wheel down was a worry as I had pulled into a layby and it had a grass verge I was able to lift the wheel and drop it over the side flat but I was worried about what would happen when it landed such as bouncing back into the side of the RV or down the other side of the bank into bushes, I was lucky and had judged it just right so it stayed where it landed.

As to how to secure it to the roof, the Pace Arrow had fixing bolts in the roof obviously from new as there was no visible sign of them from inside on the ceiling, the sheer weight of a wheel and tyre would need very secure fixing so I should imagine a plate would have to be behind the bolts holding the wheel on to the roof, you then have the problem of sealing any holes drilled to prevent any ingress of rain etc. The wheel would also have to be fixed where there was sufficient load bearing support as in the course of a journey due to the weight I would image a fair bit of flexing would take place, possibly causing cracking of the roof.

A possible way of hiding such bolts from inside on the ceiling use of say speakers or vents or behind a ceiling light could possibly be used.

100_0349-1.jpg

My Tiffin Allegro had a spare wheel securely fixed to the rear bumper

100_0548.jpg

Regards Pat

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Mine is on the back

Mine is also mounted on the back of the Winnebago ... They make a kit for the spare wheel. You should be able to order one via Darren RV Spares..he is on EBay ..under American Motorhomes RV... He sells lots of items for RV's. .. He will order items in from the USA... Purchased lots from him.. Even imported it does nt take to long... He ships in via container... Even heavy items are not to expensive.

Bob

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi all, does anyone keep their spare tyre on the roof

if you decide to go down this route, it would be wise to cover the tyre.

UV rays and tyre rubber don't get on too well and over time the UV will rot your tyre...especially side wall 'full on' to the sun.

we don't seem to get that much sun these summers but, like sunburn, it dont take much and its not a good idea to leave it exposed to the sun

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Mine is also mounted on the back of the Winnebago ... They make a kit for the spare wheel. You should be able to order one via Darren RV Spares..he is on EBay ..under American Motorhomes RV... He sells lots of items for RV's. .. He will order items in from the USA... Purchased lots from him.. Even imported it does nt take to long... He ships in via container... Even heavy items are not to expensive.

Bob
problem is Bob, Paul only has the tyre...not a full wheel. :Sad:

OP
OP
P

Paulh

Free Member
May 1, 2008
Bangor N.Ireland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
Yes indeed, I"ve only the tyre:RollEyes:. I"m liking the look of the rear mounted carriers tho", with no wheel, I "m thinking, could I get a carrier made that had 2 discs and a support to take the weight, the discs could clamp together to hold the tyre and possibly the whole thing welded to my hidden hitch...? Maybe I"m "going off" a 19.5 inch tyre on the roof:thumb: Mmmmm... can I feel a patent coming on.....?:roflmto: Now, does anyone know where I can get a 19.5 inch tyre cover ?:Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
here a pic when mine was on back -tyre cover made local :winky:
terry