Great news from Fylde (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
, an employee of Fylde, replied to , praise about Fylde.
Dear Forum Members,

We have just issued the press relase below they you may be interested in reading

Press release starts

Fylde welcomes motorhomers

Motorhome owners will be welcome in St Annes when Fylde Council opens one of its seafront car-parks to overnight visitors this spring.

The prosperous motorhomers will be able to stay for up to three nights in a pilot scheme that will last to the end of summer.

The car-park chosen is the one at the rear of St Annes swimming pool – selected as it offers good sea views while not being visible from the road.

Councillor Albert Pounder, Fylde Council cabinet member for Customer and Operational Services, said: “Motorhomers are good, responsible citizens and tend to be prosperous.

“Many come at the moment but they have to go home at the end of the day. From this spring they will be able to make a weekend of their visit and, we expect, they will spend money in shops, cafes and restaurants.

“They tend to be people who have good disposable incomes – exactly the sort of people we need for the tourism business in the area.

“In France, many towns have ‘aires’. They are places where motorhomers can stay overnight and they typically have electricity hook-ups and running water. You can drive from one end of France to the other by staying in aires.

“Fylde will be one of the first places in England to have one of these continental-style areas and we know there is already interest within the motorhoming community.”

The swimming pool car-park will not have electricity and water hook-ups. If this summer’s trial is a success, such facilities will be considered for future years – as will possible use of other car-parks. Caravans will continue to be banned.

Behaviour will be monitored while charges for overnight stays are yet to be decided. A three-night limit will be imposed to protect local hoteliers.

Councillor Pounder added: “There has been a problem in recent years with motorhomes parking on the roads which is suitable for neither residents nor motorhomers.

“We hope this trial period will make a positive out of a negative – we can get them off the road while using one of our existing assets at no cost to the Council Tax-payer.

“Motorhoming has grown very fast in recent years and we want Fylde to be at its forefront.”

Press release ends

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Beat me to it ! :thumb:

The news must be spreading really fast as their server has slowed almost to a stop !!

Been trying for ten minutes to send this:

Absolutely brilliant news.. It is both forward thinking and hopefully will start a trend once other places see how your local business's will prosper from our visits ..

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Curious !!

Just looked at this ! Great comments....All from a year ago, WHY ???, Including one from Jim and a few others on the forum ! So, what's it all about Alfie ? Is it a new post or one that has been resurrected ?.....Also, who has actually made use of their services ? I, for one will certainly call in on my way up to Caledonia ! Thoughts and comments please !:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
, an employee of Fylde, replied to , praise about Fylde.
Dear Forum Members,

We have just issued the press relase below they you may be interested in reading

Press release starts

Fylde welcomes motorhomers

Motorhome owners will be welcome in St Annes when Fylde Council opens one of its seafront car-parks to overnight visitors this spring.

The [HI]prosperous motorhomers[/HI] will be able to stay for up to three nights in a pilot scheme that will last to the end of summer.

The car-park chosen is the one at the rear of St Annes swimming pool – selected as it offers good sea views while not being visible from the road.

Councillor Albert Pounder, Fylde Council cabinet member for Customer and Operational Services, said: “Motorhomers are good, [HI]responsible citizens and tend to be prosperous.[/HI]

“Many come at the moment but they have to go home at the end of the day. From this spring they will be able to make a weekend of their visit and, we expect, they will spend money in shops, cafes and restaurants.

“[HI]They tend to be people who have good disposable incomes[/HI] – exactly the sort of people we need for the tourism business in the area.

“In France, many towns have ‘aires’. They are places where motorhomers can stay overnight and they typically have electricity hook-ups and running water. You can drive from one end of France to the other by staying in aires.

“Fylde will be one of the first places in England to have one of these continental-style areas and we know there is already interest within the motorhoming community.”

The swimming pool car-park will not have electricity and water hook-ups. If this summer’s trial is a success, such facilities will be considered for future years – as will possible use of other car-parks. Caravans will continue to be banned.

[HI]Behaviour will be monitored [/HI]while charges for overnight stays are yet to be decided. A three-night limit will be imposed to protect local hoteliers.

Councillor Pounder added: “There has been a problem in recent years with motorhomes parking on the roads which is suitable for neither residents nor motorhomers.

“We hope this trial period will make a positive out of a negative – we can get them off the road while using one of our existing assets at no cost to the Council Tax-payer.

“Motorhoming has grown very fast in recent years and we want Fylde to be at its forefront.”

Press release ends

That really is good news but "prosperous", they obviously haven't met myself or Yosser, though reading on it does say that behaviour will be monitored so maybe they have met Yosser..........Griff:roflmto:

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
That really is good news but "prosperous", they obviously haven't met myself or Yosser, though reading on it does say that behaviour will be monitored so maybe they have met Yosser..........Griff:roflmto:

Bare in mind their press release is mainly for local residents and Traders, so I think it is worded well.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The prosperous motorhomers will be able to stay for up to three nights in a pilot scheme that will last to the end of summer.

Great !

If you are a retired solicitor. But what about the rest of us ?

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Bare in mind their press release is mainly for local residents and Traders, so [HI]I think it is worded well[/HI].

So do I jezport, twas my attempt at humour. Really is sound news I hope the local traders see it as such......:thumb:....Griff

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just looked at this ! Great comments....All from a year ago, WHY ???, Including one from Jim and a few others on the forum ! So, what's it all about Alfie ? Is it a new post or one that has been resurrected ?.....Also, who has actually made use of their services ? I, for one will certainly call in on my way up to Caledonia ! Thoughts and comments please !:thumb:

looks like an update..

original thread Link Removed

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Andy Cain an employee of the council announced this an hour ago. It says that at the bottom of the link.

Ian

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Andy Cain an employee of the council announced this an hour ago. It says that at the bottom of the link.

Ian

OK !.....So what has happened in the last year ????? That's when all the posts are from !
Have people been using the facility ? And why repost it after a year???

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
OK !.....So what has happened in the last year ????? That's when all the posts are from !
Have people been using the facility ? And why repost it after a year???

This is a local authority we're talking about, things don't happen overnight! The idea was first mooted a year ago and has taken this long to come to fruition. The comments have been coming in during that time from interested motorhomers, including many from this forum, and some not so keen locals.

There is a similar idea from Ilfracombe that I get the occasional email on. :thumb:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Prosperous????? If only. But welcome anyway. This must be a first step in the right direction. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010

And now I have this image in my head of local traders rubbing their hands in glee as they hear the sound of an approaching motorhome...flipping the price tags over to show the hiked-up 'prosperous' values...and then I turn up in my campervan :roflmto:

I'm sure there's a script for a sitcom in there somewhere.

Bare in mind their press release is mainly for local residents and Traders, so I think it is worded well.

Fair enough....unfortunately to some of the public a motorhome owner is always going to be a prosperous 'banker' turning up in his/her self-contained gin palace and not using any of the local facilities. And in some cases they might be right. :Sad:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
out of interest in Kent we already have one

In Kent we already have one in Canterbury .. it is run by the city and if you check on there web site you will find it on the New Dover Road.. it is for motorhomes only and has a park and ride to the town included and over night toilets and a good pub across the road.. and there is no height barrier as the council site says.. about 2 years old now and ideal if you are heading to Dover.

Bob

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
And now I have this image in my head of local traders rubbing their hands in glee as they hear the sound of an approaching motorhome...flipping the price tags over to show the hiked-up 'prosperous' values...and then I turn up in my campervan :roflmto:

I'm sure there's a script for a sitcom in there somewhere.

[HI]
Fair enough....unfortunately to some of the public a motorhome owner is always going to be a prosperous 'banker' turning up in his/her self-contained gin palace and not using any of the local facilities. And in some cases they might be right. :Sad:
[/HI]

what with no Knighthood:Smile:

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
That's me out then.
Depending on which bit you consider the "front", the "rear" could be the beach! ::bigsmile:

I'm going to Google this as I can't remember how big that car park is. I'll update or repost later.
How very St Annes - can't have people legally parking vehicles on roads, that will upset the residents. I can tell you from personal experience going back 25 years that parking has long been a problem in St Annes, especially with residents not liking outsiders parking cars on roads outside their houses. I personally had to call the police on one occasion, finding out later that the person I was complaining about had a track record of parking as near to his house as possible, irrespective of others and some double yellow lines. He had received numerous parking fines over the years because of his mistaken belief in his right to park outside his home. I must point out this is on the inland side of town. Around the town and the coast it is predominantly commercial and tourist orientated so you don't get that problem there.

Last edited:

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
I think it's the car park in front of The Toby Carvery, Salters Wharf. (Just Google that and go "satellite") So they'll be rubbing their hands even if no one else is.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Method in the magners..

Parking restrictions are to be tightened up in on the Fylde coast to prevent motorhomes staying overnight on the main seafront road.

Instead, the car park behind the swimming pool in St Annes will be set aside for motorhomes, in a six-month trial beginning in the spring.

It will be able to accommodate about 30 vehicles, staying for a maximum of three days, the council said.

The 18-hour on-street parking period will be reduced to just two hours.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-16836604

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Yes Jim, great news.

Also noted on Link Removed

A few of us off the forums supported the idea. Motorhomes in Fylde forum.
You'll maybe recognise a few names on there. :winky:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Hi Jock.. yes indeed, I first broke the news on Fun on this thread...
Link Removed

maybe I'm just an old cynic , but purpose of my last post was to point out that I think the council had an ulterior motive for creating specific motorhome parking behind the swimming pool.. they kill two birds with with stone.. please the residents who were complaining while providing a space for visiting vans.. can't see it pleasing those who like to park for free with a nice sea view ...

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
can't see it pleasing those who like to park for free with a nice sea view ...
Bu##er them, I say Jim. :roflmto:
They should just be glad that they'll have somewhere in the UK, where they'll be welcome with their MHs, and within fairly easy reach of local facilities.

I really do hope that folks don't abuse this great opportunity. :Angry: If looked after and policed properly, it could be viewed by other local authorities as a good thing, thereby hopefully expanding the network. Canterbury have had a great set up for some years now, and it works a treat.

Cheers,

Jock.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)
maybe I'm just an old cynic , but purpose of my last post was to point out that I think the council had an ulterior motive for creating specific motorhome parking behind the swimming pool.. they kill two birds with with stone.. please the residents who were complaining while providing a space for visiting vans.. can't see it pleasing those who like to park for free with a nice sea view ...

I'd call it common sense governance rather than an ulterior motive. Councils often find themselves stuck in the middle between opposing factions, both of which have valid arguments. If they can find a solution that meets the major requirements of both sides all congratulations to them.

It isn't as if it's a long walk for a nice sea view :Smile:

electricscott

Free Member
Nov 23, 2010
Buckden Marina
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 year
at last

At long last some common sense, pity it has taken sooooo long and a recession to force some business sense into our council officials. Maybe with good results they will stop listening to nimbys in future.
Long may it prevail and spread through out our land.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
At long last some common sense, [HI]pity it has taken sooooo long and a recession to force some business sense into our council officials.[/HI] Maybe with good results they will stop listening to nimbys in future.
Long may it prevail and spread through out our land.

What it has actually taken is constructively minded motorhome owners taking the trouble to approach the council and talk to them reasonably rather than complaining about the lack of facilities.

We have to remember that not everyone likes the sight of motorhomes as much as we do. That is not nimbyism, simply another (valid) point of view.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
What it has actually taken is constructively minded motorhome owners taking the trouble to approach the council and talk to them reasonably rather than complaining about the lack of facilities.

Yes,

I have personally approached many councils. Unfortunately most reply with a total crock of lies and bullshot.

I suggest that other members here write emails to councils pointing out Fyldes decision.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'd call it common sense governance rather than an ulterior motive. Councils often find themselves stuck in the middle between opposing factions, both of which have valid arguments. If they can find a solution that meets the major requirements of both sides all congratulations to them.

It isn't as if it's a long walk for a nice sea view :Smile:

like I said.. I'm a cynic .. don't take any notice.. :winky:

I see it as a vote winner, they get rid of a problem by first of all making a car park into a motorhome park.. then set a time limit for vans on the sea front.. win win ..
I congratulate them on having made the provision .. many would just put up signs banning without offering an alternative ..

It is only a trial.. so they have they have left their options open.. if it proves a waste of time or gets abused...........................

No, it's not a long walk.. but much nicer to sit and admire from your lounge chair than sit on a sea front bench in the wind and rain ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back