house sitters (1 Viewer)

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
HI
I am a motor home owner and would like to be a house sitter for any one who needs one
i can stay in my own MH and look after things if your going away for a few weeks

if you want more info please contact me

i am not looking for payment for this service i would do it for the place to stay and EHU+ water plus to see new parts of the country

(not a job advert so i think i am ok to post if not please let me know )

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Sorry, look at your avatar, would you entrust your home to someone who looks like a gangster:RollEyes:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
HI
I am a motor home owner and [HI]would like to be a house sitter for any one who needs one[/HI]
i can stay in my own MH and [HI]look after things if your going away[/HI] for a few weeks

[HI]i am not looking for payment[/HI] for this service i would do it for the place to stay and EHU+ water plus to see new parts of the country

It's a scam, he wants to hold a rave while you're away, then whatever ain't broke he gets Yosser to grab and fence........beggar that. :ROFLMAO:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Didn't even sign his real name to the post... Bet MHL will regret this post in time?:ROFLMAO::winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
HI
I am a motor home owner and would like to be a house sitter for any one who needs one
i can stay in my own MH and look after things if your going away for a few weeks

i am not looking for payment for this service i would do it for the place to stay and EHU+ water plus to see new parts of the country

I think it is an idea worth exploring .. things to consider

* You will need to check your MH insurance covers this sort of work ( even unpaid) and you may need third party liability insurance.

* References from say a previous employer, JP , doctor etc

* Registering with one of the house sitter agencies.. I think they require a CRB check (this is normally paid work)

Most people looking for house sitters want you to live in the house.. but as I said .. worth exploring..

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Lots of ex pats here are always looking for house and pet sitters. I've advertised today as I have to go over to the UK to collect my car. I've got a lift from near here to Southampton (had 4 offers--I thought I'd be lucky to get 1) but now I need someone to feed the animals and let the dogs out into the garden just for 2 days. Again, advertised on local forum and got a few people to call. It'd actually be easier to have someone who'd be in their motorhome because then I wouldn't have to show them where everything is/ how everything works/ put heaters on timers for them.

PM me if you want any ideas for advertising (free) in France.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Yoo can com round to me house any time yoo want... jus com thru front door (key under matt)... I live in Bolton wiv me child bride Lynn (how i won her hart me and me mates will never no) and the guard dog (not too scary) Tilly... :Cool: :Cool:

Me mates call me martin the man...

ps.. me cash is in the been can on the top shelf...

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
We are always on the lookout for people to watch over our smallholding/CL in Ilfracombe whilst we are away, however no EHU I'm afraid as the site is in the countryside. Running a genny no problem thouugh as no neighbours. we generally have at least one 3 week holiday a year, maybe more if we have cover. So far we have been lucky.

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
How would six weeks in sunny (not Guaranteed) Wigan, grab you.Countryside location
2 miles from town centre. Loads of nature walks on door step, in conservation area, very private Leeds Liverpool canal 300m up lane. normaly mid July to end of August.:thumb:

regards
Steve

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Yoo can com round to me house any time yoo want... jus com thru front door (key under matt)... I live in Bolton wiv me child bride Lynn (how i won her hart me and me mates will never no) and the guard dog (not too scary) Tilly... :Cool: :Cool:

Me mates call me martin the man...

ps.. me cash is in the been can on the top shelf...

Crikey Martin, your spellings improving loads :thumb:

OP
OP
M
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I think it is an idea worth exploring .. things to consider

* You will need to check your MH insurance covers this sort of work ( even unpaid) and you may need third party liability insurance.

* References from say a previous employer, JP , doctor etc

* Registering with one of the house sitter agencies.. I think they require a CRB check (this is normally paid work)

Most people looking for house sitters want you to live in the house.. but as I said .. worth exploring..

Thank you for your positive comments

I am just a normal guy who has time on my hands
I am known by many RV owners and have attended RV meets

I do not say this is for every one
I do not need to enter the house that is being looked after or hold keys or any thing like that

I know there are companies doing this kind of work (not cheap)
I hope to offer an alternative that has mutual benefits for both parties

if i can get help with travel for some piece of mind it can be win win

A stranger is only a stranger until you get to know them
then they are friends

kind regards

Ian F

OP
OP
M
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Lots of ex pats here are always looking for house and pet sitters. I've advertised today as I have to go over to the UK to collect my car. I've got a lift from near here to Southampton (had 4 offers--I thought I'd be lucky to get 1) but now I need someone to feed the animals and let the dogs out into the garden just for 2 days. Again, advertised on local forum and got a few people to call. It'd actually be easier to have someone who'd be in their motorhome because then I wouldn't have to show them where everything is/ how everything works/ put heaters on timers for them.

PM me if you want any ideas for advertising (free) in France.

Thank you for your reply

I will keep it in mind

for the time being i will see what is offered here in the UK
as the costs to get to France are rather high form when i am
North east UK

OP
OP
M
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Thank you all for your comments both positive and not so flattering

the pic was taken at the RVOC fancy dress at Oswestry 2010
not a gangster ( a poor look a like Blues brothers) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have been on the forum for two years and known by many on here and the sister site RVOC

I believe that not every thing should came down to money.
what can benefit both parties can be much more than money
hope to make some nice friendships along the way

if any one has any real questions please PM me

yours

Ian F

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thank you for your positive comments

I am just a normal guy who has time on my hands
I am known by many RV owners and have attended RV meets

I do not say this is for every one
I do not need to enter the house that is being looked after or hold keys or any thing like that

I know there are companies doing this kind of work (not cheap)
I hope to offer an alternative that has mutual benefits for both parties

if i can get help with travel for some piece of mind it can be win win

A stranger is only a stranger until you get to know them
then they are friends

kind regards

Ian F

I understand what you have in mind.. and once you get a few under your belt your name will hopefully get known around the forums.. referrals are the best kind of reference..

I would still consider the third party liability insurance .. you will be on private property and if anything went wrong and the owners property damaged you would be held responsible.... worst case scenario, your RV goes up in flames and sets the house alight .. I doubt the RV insurance wouldn't cover it .. so worth investigating..

The owners may also expect you to be 'on guard' 24/7 so maybe not much time for exploring the surrounding area .. so that would need to be established with the owners.

You say you will do it for free .. that's admirable but is it it realistic bearing in mind the previous paragraph.. ?

Just my thoughts.. good luck

jim

OP
OP
M
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
How would six weeks in sunny (not Guaranteed) Wigan, grab you.Countryside location
2 miles from town centre. Loads of nature walks on door step, in conservation area, very private Leeds Liverpool canal 300m up lane. normaly mid July to end of August.:thumb:

regards
Steve
yeah just PM me see what we can arrange

Ian F

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the smallholding entails keeping an eye on the cows and horses, watering greenhouse plants, and possibly collecting rents from the CL

OP
OP
M
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
having read some comments on here

I say IF i was not genuine, truthful and honest

it would soon be shown on a forum like this.
that i would not be welcome any where.

I am not a fool and would not put myself up for a fall
I am a genuine person of good character. I have no convictions
ok i have 6 points on my driving License a criminal i am not :ROFLMAO:

I have only asked a question
if you have a reasonable reply then post it
do not attempt to undermine my integrity with snide remarks.
they are not funny and show you up as a clot so do not show your selves up and more than you have

you know who you are !!:Doh:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There is a grey area between house sitting and guarding. For guarding you need to be licenced and carry insurance. Be careful. :Smile:

OP
OP
M
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
There is a grey area between house sitting and guarding. For guarding you need to be licenced and carry insurance. Be careful. :Smile:
may be i am being too naive thinking that one can offer their help and time for no payment in money as in wages or business profit

finding places to park is getting harder and more expensive if using commercial camp sites

why would it be so hard to park at some ones home while they are away and in return they have a live person to see all is well at the same time?

i am not asking for keys or to do works walking dogs feeding cats ect
just to be there as a live presence on a night when most vilans are about their discussing business.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
may be i am being too naive thinking that one can offer their help and time for no payment in money as in wages or business profit

finding places to park is getting harder and more expensive if using commercial camp sites

why would it be so hard to park at some ones home while they are away and in return they have a live person to see all is well at the same time?

i am not asking for keys or to do works walking dogs feeding cats ect
just to be there as a live presence on a night when most vilans are about their discussing business.

I think its a great idea and would certainly consider it. Surely 2 mature adults can come to an arrangement like this without needing insurance and contracts or have we gone that far down the litigation/compensation road. No different to a relation or friend staying for a few days and parking on the drive in a caravan or motorhome, you would'nt ask them for insurance or a contract, or would you?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Not if i am offering a free service
my time comes at a very high rate of pay :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

a free service for no service is expencive, bob and Jane will tell you what is involved, biggest job is walking the dog otherwise takes 10 mins a day. But no worries I usually get several replies when I offer a particular date.

OP
OP
M
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I think its a great idea and would certainly consider it. Surely 2 mature adults can come to an arrangement like this without needing insurance and contracts or have we gone that far down the litigation/compensation road. No different to a relation or friend staying for a few days and parking on the drive in a caravan or motorhome, you would'nt ask them for insurance or a contract, or would you?

I agree i hope many more do

we will have to see what happens

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Maybe I'm wrong. I know that things could happen, eg we could be burgled whilst you are are in residence (but that hasn't happened for the last 8 years in this house) and I wouldn't really worry about that. As long as you paid the leccy and gas bill I wouldn't worry at all. Call me naive, but you sound like a regular person and I would have no fears. Unfortunately, we don't need a house-sitter since the dog comes with us and family look in all the time but I think it's a great idea. ::bigsmile: Without wishing to sound insulting, you also sound the type of person that you don't need to scrub from top to bottom for before you come. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back