why does it not work how i thought it would? (1 Viewer)

badgerskins

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2011
south wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer S670
Exp
since 1970
Hi
this is a new game for me, so i don't know if anyone else has had the same experiance, i bought a set of solar panels from maplin rated at 60watts they are four that plug together and then connect to a voltage controler and then in turn to the two sealed 135Ah batteries. All the cables come ready done so it's basicly plug and play so to speak. The difficulty lies in the fact that the batteries require a 14.4v charging rate but the voltage controler only suppies 12.2 volts so it seems that i'm never fully charging the batteries.
Does anyone know how i can sort this out?
Badger:Angry:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Move from Wales:roflmto:

Sorry just joking, I have no idea, but I'm sure you'll have your answer soon:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
are they not just topping up the battery?

Are they not just for topping up the battery?

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Sounds to me that the cable size is too small for the length of run.. this will reduce the available charging voltage at the controller.. but need more info ..

Do you have 4 x 60watt panels ?

Size of cable (mm2 ) and length of run.( If you don't know the cable size, is it skinny like bell wire or fat like an EHU cable )

Are you checking in full sunlight ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
rated at 60watts...... only suppies 12.2 volts

Wait for summer. At this time of year you'll be getting so little out of the panels it will take a week to get much higher and if there is any load on the batteries you'll get nowhere.

That's my guess.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Wait for summer. At this time of year you'll be getting so little out of the panels it will take a week to get much higher and if there is any load on the batteries you'll get nowhere.

That's my guess.

Come to Spain - the suns been shining all day here. opp5 :hardhat:

Seriously give more info then you may get an serious answer.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Your low voltage is most likely due just to the lack of sunshine at this time of year.
I don't know if you're planning on mounting these on your motorhome because I think these are the cheaper amorphous panels rather than the crystalline ones and if so they are much bigger and heavier than the same output mono- or poly-chrystalline panels.

I was only getting my batteries up to about 13.6v with an 85w panel at this time of year. Now I have 360w of panels I am getting them up to 14.4v no trouble.

carry on then

Free Member
Oct 25, 2011
.EU
Funster No
MH
camper sort of thingy
Exp
about 5 minutes
Hi
The difficulty lies in the fact that the batteries require a 14.4v charging rate but the voltage controler only suppies 12.2 volts so it seems that i'm never fully charging the batteries.
Does anyone know how i can sort this out?

How did you find the voltage controller only supplies 12.2 volts ? , from putting a tester on it or from reading the manual/instructions supplied with it ?

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi and welcome Badger, I know is a bit late but what I would have done was join fun first, ask what solar stuff should I buy? and we would have emptied your wallet quicker than you could say; maplins stuff is rubbish:winky:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back