Safe Driver ? (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Go on, admit it , does your partner or wife run around your motorhome , waving her arms when manoeuvering on site. Can you manage without her help :RollEyes:

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Go on, admit it , does your partner or wife run around your motorhome , waving her arms when manoeuvering on site. Can you manage without her help :RollEyes:

Yes sometimes ,reversing in a tight parking space at a supermarket carpark, I hope I have now got it sussed, as I fitted reversing sensers yesterday::bigsmile:..........Del

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010

Yes she does and I let her, makes her feel that she is contributing..Bless:imoutahere:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Mrs Colpot usually goes to the rear (inside) and opens the window to check how close I am to the wall/hedge etc. (Normally when parking at home.)
On site I normally park it myself (unless there is something that she thinks I might damage the motorhome on)
She also acts as a warning if I am driving on the road too close to the hedges. There are a range of responses - from "please move out" to "Oh my God! (My normal response is "please look in the mirror and see how far out I am)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

yeah... and a sure fire way to have a rear end shunt is to heed her :Doh:

not joking.... first time out in the RV she is guiding onto a pitch on the Club site at Bognor.. waving, and jesturing .. back a bit, back a bit .... then BANG :Eeek:

Bike rack hit a tree.. bikes ok, but rack pushed into engine grill ... only slight damage..

I asked what the f*ck were you thinking ... her reply.. I didn't see the tree I was watching the back of the RV :RollEyes:

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
yeah... and a sure fire way to have a rear end shunt is to heed her :Doh:

not joking.... first time out in the RV she is guiding onto a pitch on the Club site at Bognor.. waving, and jesturing .. back a bit, back a bit .... then BANG :Eeek:

Bike rack hit a tree.. bikes ok, but rack pushed into engine grill ... only slight damage..

I asked what the f*ck were you thinking ... her reply.. I didn't see the tree I was watching the back of the RV :RollEyes:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: nice one Jim

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: nice one Jim

I can laugh now.. :roflmto:

and it wasn't a puny little sapling .. a big old oak tree .. it didn't take prisoners.... then she had the gall to say.. did YOU not see it in the mirrors... Typical woman.. never her fault .. :roflmto:

dunno how we have lasted 25 years ..must be love :Cool:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My wife always parks our motorhome. She is much better at it than me:Blush:

I can park cars great but my use of mirrors and a reversing camera is a bit dodgy.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
My wife always parks our motorhome. She is much better at it than me:Blush:

I can park cars great but my use of mirrors and a reversing camera is a bit dodgy.

Mirrors are usually there for women to do there hair in :ROFLMAO:

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Yes ...... And same thing happens every time . I gets it into posistion to reverse and then we sit and look at each other , "do you want me to watch you back out of the rear window" , "yes dear it would be a help" I say's ........ Every blummin time .

Suppose it's better than when she decides to jump out and do it and stands where even the Hubble Telescope wouldn't see her . :Doh:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
NO....
Mine sits there in the passenger seat and doesn't move a muscle..!!

You cant blame her she know how good I am and can park it on a penny !!!:thumb:

Now give me our little Peugeot 107 and i'm all over the shop...
I need a bit of length to get it in straight..:ROFLMAO:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Most of the time I use the mirrors and camera, after years driving trucks I don't find it hard to park.

However sometimes if its a bit tight or close to a low tree branch Jan will watch me back.

She always manages to stand in a blind spot so I've no idea where she is:Doh:
Then she waves both arms at the same time in a windmill motion still have'nt worked out if thats left or right:Doh:
Finally if she wants me to stop she puts both hands against the back of the van:Doh:
Now I know Forest girls are tough but even she can't stop a 5 tonne van in its tracks::bigsmile:

Must be bloody hilarious for anyone watching:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Similar to Forestboy, mine usually gets out and stands where I can't see her then uses exaggerated gestures to get me back into place. I've tried teaching her the men's way with a still arm and gentle backing motions with the four fingers but it hasn't sunk in yet. :Sad:

When I'm back far enough it's frantic forward waving (to her) with the arm but if I don't see her begin that manoeuvre I can't tell if she's waving back or forward. Usually, with the excellent mirrors and the camera, I've got where I want to be anyway! :Smile:

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.

Nope , i sit in the passenger seat , turning it round once its stopped. Then i get up and put the kettle one.
Love doing it . Especially when the caravaners are watching :ROFLMAO:

( we send one of the kids to look out of the bathroom window if needed , but Ralphs a dab hand at parking up now , so they are rarely needed to do so.)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
This thread got me thinking .. yeah I know.. it is early for that ... anyhoo

another example..

Trying to extract myself from a tight situation in a French town.. IIRC it was Nantes .. we had taken the wrong way out and ended up in a one way street, more like an ally .. very tight , but dooable... until I saw a tight left hand turn ahead.. no way back so had to go for it ..

I asked her to put her head out and watch the kerb and the building.. her side of the front of the RV was going to be over the pavement .. you can see this coming :roflmto:

I'm inching forward watching the tail doesn't hit the corner of the building on my left.. she is watching the front right hand side...... slowly slowly ... BANG ... wtf was that I asked.. dunno she says.. it looked clear.. :RollEyes:

I got out and then saw George had mounted a concrete bollard .. it was now embedded in the front skirt :Doh:

Backing up .. heard the fiberglass ripping then forward again, ..back and forth until I cleared the bollard... (not easy when you have a trailer, see picture)

What a mess... but it's all in the FUN of travelling.. if we had no tales or mishaps it would be boring for the grandkids ..

Next one was in Morocco... that can wait :Blush:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Similar to Forestboy, mine usually gets out and stands where I can't see her then uses exaggerated gestures to get me back into place.

Errr.... how do you know she is using exaggerated gestures if she's standing where you can't see her?:Smile:

Pete:Cool:

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
After years of driving artics, l park on my own, don't need Mrs Simsy to help at all.
But, as good as she is at map reading, l always get the late response.
Driving along a dual carriageway or motorway l will say "is this the turn off"?,... "Well is it"?, "Is it"? ......"IS IT"? and just as i am passing the slip road she will lift her head from the map and pipe up, "yes"!
She does pi$$ me off sometimes!

Craig

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
My wife could wave for England !, However she hasn't grasped the fact that if she can't see the mirrors I can't see her. So she waves on whilst I use the mirrors & camera.Gives her a sense of power.:Smile:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
My wife always parks our motorhome. [HI]She is much better at it than me[/HI]:Blush:

That took some balls treacle to admit to, nice one. It also suggests that the wife reads your posts.

My wife has driven the MH as is happy to do so on motorways and large A roads.

As regards parking, no exaggeration I can back it up to within 2 inches of the obstacle with the new reversing / rear view cameras.

It is so much better than the reversing park assist on my car. I do readily accept assistance when driving up onto the levellers although the "Quattros" are very forgiving.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
After years of driving artics, l park on my own, don't need Mrs Simsy to help at all.
But, as good as she is at map reading, l always get the late response.
Driving along a dual carriageway or motorway l will say "is this the turn off"?,... "Well is it"?, "Is it"? ......"IS IT"?[HI] and just as i am passing the slip road she will lift her head from the map and pipe up, "yes"! [/HI]
[HI]She does pi$$ me off sometimes![/HI]

Craig

I'd swap you simsy, but you'd find mine is just the same.

About as much use as 'tits on a fish'. Must be love after 44 years.
........................of course we were only 2 when we met and fell in [STRIKE]lust[/STRIKE] love........:ROFLMAO:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That took some balls treacle to admit to, nice one. It also suggests that the wife reads your posts.

:ROFLMAO:

I dont think she does read my posts.

I can park it ok but i keep looking over my left shoulder and there is no back window to see through:Doh:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Shirley usually stands where I can't see her and presumably is signalling in some way. If I really need help (rarely) we use the PMR radios.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back