why did you buy your motorhome (1 Viewer)

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
some people like the idea of being a free spirit
i like the idea of staying where i want when i want at no cost to any one

years ago it was easier now there are more restrictions and we are being forced in to staying on commercial camp sites at over the top prices

some of us do need or want EHU club house and fancy toilet blocks
not many places left that are back to nature
a few Cl`s thats about it but even these are becoming more expensive
every one seams to be out for as much money as they can make

years ago we could knock on a farmers door and stay in his field for nothing how sad times change for the worst

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I bought mine so we could have more holidays. We can go where we want and when we want. And all it is a lot better value than a 2 weeks in Spain with Thomas Cook.
Taking into account depriciation and all other costs 61 nights cost us a little over £5k last year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
We live in the shitty of London i mean city of London and feel the need to get out and smoke our fags where the air is much fresher:ROFLMAO:. Having the motorhome seriously has lowered our stress levels and wish we had bought one a long time ago:Doh: we are still very new to this but loving every minute of it:thumb:
Roll on the summer:Cool:

louwil

Free Member
Dec 24, 2011
mansfield
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
hope

Just had our first weekend in mh been caravaning & camping for 30 odd years always dreamt of a mh hope to have more freedom and flexabilty to tour :RollEyes

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
For a number of reasons we had to make long journeys in the UK , sometimes twice a month. Each time racking up flight costs for 2 , car hire costs , hotel costs for 2 and so on . £s spent were crazy , with no obvious tangible benefits to us ..... So decided to lash out on a MH / take a more leisurely mindset on the travel / transfer the benefits to us rather than lining the pockets of airlines etc .......Has worked a treat , so aint giving it up any time soon .:Smile:Even though the "had to " travel bit is long gone

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
After years under canvas Woman called time on it.. I kep on going to bike does and she was missing out on the parties..

She brow beat me into buying a tin snail.. Hated the bloody thing after ONE weekend but loved the people we met and the feeling of freedom..

Three weeks later we had our first motorhome ( a clapped out A class on an OLD normally aspirated 2.2 Ducato chassis with no power steering..
5 weeks after that we had our first real motorhome, a lhd 6 berth hobby that took us all over Europe

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
So if the wife kicks me out i dont need to sleep in the garage:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We had a caravan before and really enjoyed and thought hte mh would give us more freedom for single nights and days out as well as summer hols. The reason we like this so much is it gives us time away with Sophie our daughter because when at home its sometimes hard to sit down and play games due to busy lives, nothing better than stopping beside the beach and spending hours looking for shells and stuff.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
some people like the idea of being a free spirit
i like the idea of staying where i want when i want at no cost to any one

years ago it was easier now there are more restrictions and we are being forced in to staying on commercial camp sites at over the top prices

some of us do need or want EHU club house and fancy toilet blocks
not many places left that are back to nature
a few Cl`s thats about it but even these are becoming more expensive
every one seams to be out for as much money as they can make

[HI]years ago we could knock on a farmers door and stay in his field for nothing[/HI] how sad times change for the worst

Only a week or two back you posted that you knock on farmers doors now and get a free night stay. Are saying that isn't the case anymore?

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
For years we toured around Europe skydiving, our 'motorhome' was a Landrover; sleeping under a green tarp stretched from the bull bar and pegged out. One day Sian got oil from the front diff in her hair, a blond tipped flat top. ::bigsmile: Our friends had a motorhome and got to Sian, she refused to sleep under the Landrover again and insisted we got a motorhome. Reluctant, I bought a caravan first, towed it once or twice, then sold it and bought our first motorhome. An Auto-Trail Pullman..

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Came straight to motorhoming without going through the caravan phase first. We towed a trailer behind the bike and camped but then, and I honestly don't remember why, we thought about a motorhome. Bought a new Laika from Lowdham and took to it like a duck to water. Four years later we replaced the Laika with the Frankia. Initially it was to get away from the phone continuously ringing from work but now that I've retired it's just the enjoyment of going away without the rigid structure of a hotel based holiday, you know the routine, up for breakfast, vacate your room for the cleaners, back for the evening meal etc. Boring!
However, I have one confession to make, we like cruises, despite the Costa Concordia debacle.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Only a week or two back you posted that you knock on farmers doors now and get a free night stay. Are saying that isn't the case anymore?

I recall that too.

I also recall the OP telling a few other people that if they had to watch the pennies then motor homing wasn't for them.

:winky:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Came straight to motorhoming without going through the caravan phase first. We towed a trailer behind the bike and camped but then, and I honestly don't remember why, we thought about a motorhome. Bought a new Laika from Lowdham and took to it like a duck to water. Four years later we replaced the Laika with the Frankia. Initially it was to get away from the phone continuously ringing from work but now that I've retired it's just the enjoyment of going away without the rigid structure of a hotel based holiday, you know the routine, up for breakfast, vacate your room for the cleaners, back for the evening meal etc. Boring!
However, I have one confession to make, we like cruises, despite the Costa Concordia debacle.

Interesting.....We booked our next cruise the night the Costa Concordia foundered. Looking forward to it too. :thumb:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I recall that too.

I also recall the OP telling a few other people that if they had to watch the pennies then [HI]motor homing wasn't for them.[/HI]

:winky:

He's plucking up enough courage to tell us he's got it wrong with the RV and wishes he'd bought something small enough to get to the pretty parts of Scotland and Cornwall :Smile:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We bought ours to live in ::bigsmile:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We bought our first one to get away from neighbours we hated and couldn't sell our park home . after buying the mh sold the park home so didn't need to have to buy the mh after all . but enjoyed the lifestyle so much that we ended up fulltiming in it and we are still doing it nearly 4years later

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
We needed somewhere to live after selling up in the south and while finding a place in the north of Scotland. We've just never got round to getting rid of it again :winky:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
24 years back I think

It must have been 24 years back if I recall .. I know it was the second Stratford on Avon and for some reason we purchased a Glendale on a Merc chassis .. took it to Spain 3 weeks after we purchased it.. broke down in France .. mad time, young children .. why we purchased it no idea... but it did not last long, we saw the American RV at a show and soon after we purchased our first A class.. belonged to the Motor Caravan Club then.. the Kent group we met with each week only had two Americans vehicles, us in our Champion Titan and a chap with an Redwood Allegro..... better days then, you could do more without all the restrictions.

We had this dream of when we retired we would tour Europe with an American RV... OK we have done the touring, but still ask myself why somedays.... like today while having to wait in for a delivery of the batteries.. will they arrive will they not... that is when the RV is hassle... But on the whole still love the concept... must do 24 years of it.

I purchased this one as a compromise in a way...really wanted another A class... but wanted to not put it in storage but on the drive.. my 34' became 23'9" (you can see it as it was in the USA before imported with the link in red below) ... OK did not have the room I really wanted, but it is manageable... Although for the first time we have started to think we may give up motor homing.

A few reasons.. it is not as easy these days with the disability issues ..getting older and it is harder work. Just a bit disenchanced with the whole area of motor homing, the regulations do not help... some of the people are not as always as nice as you would hope... do not get me wrong lots are... But I think it is a lot of things. We bought this one and said we would keep it 4/5/6 years.. we are into the 4th season this year... While I spend a lot keeping it on the road, I have started to consider the non essentials ...was going to have a filtered water pump fitted £200 plus the fitting.. decided to put on hold while we decide this season if we carry on or sell it. Win her blues at the moment and boy does that make me feel old.

But really still after writing this cannot remember really how we ended up buys a motorhome.. we still do other things like going on cruises, which we love and have been all over the world at various times. Even hired RV's in the USA in the past.. Funny was even looking a a Ford Flex .. great yank car - modern type.. so I still love my American vehicles.

Bob

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
basicall...when we went on holidays we always hired a car and spent the majority of the time driving around, apart from the obligatory sun time on the beach for SWMBO...so it seemed sensible to do holidays based on that in the first place!!

Haven't got rid of the obligatory sun time on the beach for SWMBO though!!

and the freedom wins for me every time - im my work world(stop giggling those that don't do this now) i live to plans and all that stuff, so doing the complete opposite on holidays and at weekends is great..magical mystery tours R US:thumb:

Although saying that...i do tend to plan our jaunts...but never follow them...Hmm...thinking about it, that sounds like work too!!

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We'd done the tents , caravans and it was the next step. It makes it so much easier .
Once we had saved the cash , we part x'd the caravan and bought what we have now.
Got it right 1st time too. :thumb:
We use it every other weekend , a couple of weeks in the main school hols , a week in half term , over New Year infact all year round . Nothing better than waking up lovely and warm in a freezing frosty farmers field , wrapping up , going out for a long walk with the kids and dogs , stopping at a village pub for lunch , going back to the motorhome and snuggling down for the evening , bliss .

We still haven't been abroad in it yet , only the IOW :roflmto: Preferring to fly then ferry to the little Greek Islands , our favorite holiday destination. (We have hired a MH in Australia for 3 weeks though which was great . We would love to go to Canada and do the same)

BUT once we are older and have more time on our hands ( we feel we need more than the 2 weeks we can only do , at once now ) there will be no stopping us.
Cant wait to travel through France , Spain , Italy , who knows even Greece.
But for now we really love what we are doing , and that the kids still love to come with us .

We might have to start making it less enjoyable:winky:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
It's lovely

My lovely wife wandered down a line of new trucks all lit up and snug warm, we of course didn't need another motor home as we had just about got ours to how we liked it.
Then I was beckoned oh come and look at this one isn't it lovely, the curtains and carpets etc etc.

So that's how we came to buy it.

I know my place:Cool:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
We came straight to motorhoming as we never fancied a caravan.Retirement = time +freedom.For the first time in our lives we can go anywhere and do what we want.Of course the limiting factor is cost and this where the motorhome comes in.OK the initial purchase ain't cheap and the running costs in reality are probably more than you care to count but if you are spending up to half your time away from home it is the only way to go!
Having said that we still fly off to the sun sometimes as the drive can be very very long from Scotland!:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Bought our last one, the USRV, to live in.. , that was in 2005.. lived and travelled in it for three years .. sold in 2010 .. it had done its job.. but was now too big and impractical just for holidays and touring.. and was far too expensive to run, store and maintain.

As we only have school term holidays for travel we decided that our immediate needs would be better served by a caravan.. It costs nothing sitting on the drive, needs little by way of maintenance and if the mood takes we can go away for a w/e or meet just as easy as we could with a MH.

When Chaz is independent we may go back to a MH.. but who knows.. we may go on coach tours ... no driving, no navigating, no worry about finding a site, comfy bed, meals provided and tour guide thrown in.. .. and if you take all costs into consideration can work out cheaper than using a motorhome .. quite appealing..

There is an idea Jim... Coachtourfun :winky:

Could also try "coach tours for tossers" .... parking up and sleeping in coach :roflmto:

frenchypilot

Free Member
May 31, 2011
France CENTRAL
Funster No
MH
class A
Exp
We got a MH after being a tugger for many years mainly for the freedom aspect. Live in France now & there still seems to be lot of places to wild camp. Some very remote areas would not have stopped at if we didn't have the 2 dogs. We are allowed to carry firearms in France & have the right to protect our property. On one occasion camped in a very remote area a van left the main road & headed towards our MH. They stopped dead in their tracks when they heard our dogs bark & beat a hasty retreat. Its obivous they were not looking for assistance or help especially at 2am. When the dogs have passed on ( I hope before me) I don't think I will do the extreem wild stuff even with a 9mm.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back