LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Towing a car with a motorhome
Towing a car behind a motor home using an A-frame is illegal in Spain and you will be fined for using one.

That seems pretty clear, can't see the famous grey area some talk about ::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Towing a car with a motorhome
Towing a car behind a motor home using an A-frame is illegal in Spain and you will be fined for using one.

That seems pretty clear, [HI]can't see the famous grey area some talk about[/HI] ::bigsmile:

and ignored the warnings ... and been 'done'

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lookback

Free Member
Nov 30, 2007
Mareham le fen, Lincs
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
5 years
Yes beware!!!

I have just returned from La Torretta, Benidorm. There were 6 motorhomes that had used their A Frames through Spain to the campsite. Non had been stopped enroute. There was even a french registered motorhome using an A Frame. I did speak to a man from the Channel Islands who had been stopped last year and fined 60 euros. So it appears that you takes your chances.

Ian

OP
OP
jhorsf

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I would like to know how the manufacturers of these can advertise the are legal in europe its clear from my post they are not

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Seems to me that there is no grey area in Spain, or several other countries, - they are illegal.

The grey area is in the UK where it could also be argued that they are illegal because they do not have auto reverse over-run brakes, as required by trailer regulations, but it could also be argued that they are not trailers for the purposes of the law.

Would it not be safer just to use a proper trailer?

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Just on a completely daft tack here, you know when someone used to give you an LP record as a present and you'd say, Oh my goodness, whatever can this one possibly be? and then feel it and say, Oooh - I think it's an umbrella! (or indeed, vice-versa)

Well eldest daughter bought her dad's birthday pressie round last weekend. It was a 'squidgy' looking parcel which obviously enclosed a jumper-type gift. I went Oooh what's this, then? and she immediately replied without a pause or batting an eyelid, 'We got him an A-frame - so he can tow the MGF!'

:ROFLMAO:

And they don't even own a motorhome!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, some dont meet the regs .but some do. air systems ,electric operated ones etc certainly do. as to definition of a trailer well i shant bother but .folk have been making trailers etc from vehicles for years . at the moment trailer making is easy but it wont be soon .new regs on the horizon .that will mess it up a bit more .
i still say whynot get a fifth wheel does just about all a big m,home ,rv does only better .as you have a vehicle to use when parked up. only one tax ,insurance . and mot ,if required.
a frames are great for recovery . hee hee hard hat going on.
also the first post on here the matter is really for brits living in spain ,it says so at the top. as tourist you arent living just in transit ...or vw .or fiat .hee hee

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
getting away from the A frame aspect......the op's link appears to be aimed at folks moving to spain...not just visiting.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Could catch out some going for extended trips, if longer than six months the vehicle must be registered in Spain. Answer is probably to pop into France for a weeks or so and call it two shorter trips. :Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It's academic whether you reside there or are just a visitor.. try explaining the finer points of EU law to the police when your stooped ... as several have already found out.. including our own Bryan ..
They aint interested.. as far as they are concerned they are illegal, full stop .. Waving a form from an A frame supplier saying they are legal is as silly as waving a red flag to a bull.

Take the chance by all means but only if you have a co driver with a driving license and don't mind a fine..

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but some have and taken the spnish authorities to the courts and won. nobody says its easy .see directives 70/156/eec or 94/20/eec . its a long hard road but can be done. it just confuses things if we treat something like that letter as being valid . it is for folk living there ,it does make a differance. if nobody stands their ground authority wins.
but again it is a hard long way in the courts.
but can be fun.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
but some have and taken the spnish authorities to the courts and won. nobody says its easy .see directives 70/156/eec or 94/20/eec . its a long hard road but can be done. it just confuses things if we treat something like that letter as being valid . it is for folk living there ,it does make a differance. if nobody stands their ground authority wins.
but again[HI] it is a hard long way in the courts.
but can be fun[/HI].

Fun is going on holiday Alan .. not being fined and fighting a court battle..

takes all kinds I guess :winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Could catch out some going for extended trips, if longer than six months the vehicle must be registered in Spain. Answer is probably to pop into France for a weeks or so and call it two shorter trips. :Smile:

How would the Spanish authorities know how long you stay in Spain with no border checks. The only people who know we left are our friends and family, the passport control didn't even check our passports when we left.
I suppose we are stateless now :ROFLMAO: or illegal immigrants. :ROFLMAO:
But we can't be, we are in the EU :Doh:
Easy enough to leave but how do you prove it?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
but again it is a hard long way in the courts.
but can be fun.

Not my idea of Fun, certainly not worth the stress or the expense and I've towed a car on an A frame at least 40'000 miles. :thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
They do not have exemptions in Spain Alan

Alan they do not have any exemptions in Spain.. IT IS ILLEGAL TO USE A FRAMES... our own administrator on this site was fined on his way through to Spain in the winter along with some others.

But you can advise as much as you want, you will always find someone asking about buying one and using it in Spain etc., we have all been there and got the T shirt on this site many times over.

I think Jim should have a league on the top topics and I bet A frames would right up there at the top.

Bob:Blush:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i dont tow with an a frame in spain . i got wise and bought an artic makes much more sense to me.
but i can see that eu rules could be part of an argument and also some have had their money back through the courts .
but i still say basing facts on articles for living in spain is not the way to make decisions for a visitor.
think its probably not wise to take one abroad any more . there as always been confusion about them. but the eu ruling about visiting doesnt make it easier. should do.
but now 5ers are around more theres your answer .

OP
OP
jhorsf

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
The reason I put this post on here was the fact that the British Embassy is telling you it is not legal.
Still some say that does not apply to me because I am English and I do not live there
well in that case why do you carry bulbs triangles yellow vests etc? as you do not live there so that does not apply to you using your logic

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the embassy do say living in spain.
even the embassy dont always understand the rules .
it is illegal in spain .but the eu law allows visitors different rules . bit like driving a rhd vehicle in spain . try and get one on spanish plates .it should be easy but it isnt.
but really unless you are prepared to put up a good fight through the courts then dont go there with an aframe. personally i think most aframes in uk are illegal but do we want a clamp down.
many m,homes here in uk arent really m,homes, but living vans due to the garage area if over 3,500kg they are motted wrong . insured wrong . do we need to carry on. i for one think the uk needs to tighten up its regs . many are openly breaking several regulations here never mind in spain.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back