Radio turns off with ignition (1 Viewer)

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
On my car (and I suspect all) if I turn the radio on AFTER turning the ignition off, the radio will come on for a limited time (30 mins or an hour).

My MH radio will not. I have to have the ignition on. Is the capability of running your radio a wiring issue? Has this been installed wrong? Or is it something I have to live with?

The radio is a JVC KD-R311, and nothing in the manual gives any clues.

Steve

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
On the motorhome is there no Auxiliary position on the ignition switch?

Most vehicles have such a stupid little battery now a days that they have to limit the time you can listen in as your car.

Mike

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Radio turns off

My understanding is that this is so you dont flatten the battery, but I'm not sure what the answer is. Im sure there is a teccky here who can help, S

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
There appears to be no AUX position on the ignition switch on my X250.

Steve

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
There appears to be no AUX position on the ignition switch on my X250.

Steve
You are correct, In our Swift Escape we have a JVC radio factory fixed (rather than the std Fiat one) This is live all the time, hence swift tell you to unclip the faceplate to turn the power off, as the on off switch just puts it on standby and runs down the battery.All seems abit heath robingson! But works ok.:Smile:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , I have same problem with my 2011 autocruise starfire , apparently swift say that they do this so as not to flatten the battery (they presume that while parked /camp we might leave radio/cd player on , Stupid idea also my 2 aux sockets (i.e. for sat nav cig lighter etc) are wired the same way. I have visited a local electrical workshop about reconnecting they have quoted £75 +vat . plan to get done early spring. Terry

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
That sounds helpful, but does removing the faceplate (which I only discovered today!) really stop all power consumption?

I would be happy to power it off the auxiliary battery if it could be achieved simply.

Steve

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
There is normally a permanent "live" feed to the stereo connector block as well as the "switched" feed from the ignition.

Broken Link Removed

This permanent live feed allows the radio to remember preset channels etc, but using only very low power consumption.

A simple "jump wire" connecting the permanent live to the stereo switched live will let you listen to the radio at any time regardless of the ignition being on.

Just remember to switch it off when finished though or you will very quickly have a flat starter battery.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
There is normally a permanent "live" feed to the stereo connector block as well as the "switched" feed from the ignition.

Broken Link Removed

This permanent live feed allows the radio to remember preset channels etc, but using only very low power consumption.

A simple "jump wire" connecting the permanent live to the stereo switched live will let you listen to the radio at any time regardless of the ignition being on.

Just remember to switch it off when finished though or you will very quickly have a flat starter battery.

This will work but will almost certainly make everything else on the ignition switched circuit live as well. Better to just disconnect the switched one and connect the unswitched one instead.

It is very true about the radio on standby draining the battery, I have experienced this with mine, which is wired to the permanent live. Removing the face plate does the job - only necessary if you're not using the van for a week or so.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
This will work but will almost certainly make everything else on the ignition switched circuit live as well. Better to just disconnect the switched one and connect the unswitched one instead.

It is very true about the radio on standby draining the battery, I have experienced this with mine, which is wired to the permanent live. Removing the face plate does the job - only necessary if you're not using the van for a week or so.

That is what I meant... :Blush:

"A simple "jump wire" connecting the permanent live to the stereo switched live"..... but of course disconnect the "switched live" thereby isolating it.

My radio in the van is also connected to the permanent live, but I always remove the face panel when not in use.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The best solution is to rewire the radio to the leisure battery and then fit a remote switch in the living area which will be in the ign controlled feed. This WILL NOT WORK on standard Fiat Peugeot fit radios in the X2/50 models as they are triggered through the canbus system but it is perfectly feasible with most aftermarket radios. The JVC units mentioned are not standard Fiat Peugeot offerings and therefore should be fine to wire up as described. My own radio is powered from the leisure battery and switched on/off with ignition but also has two remote switches in the living area, one by the sliding door and one over the bed so we can switch the radio on or off from either the lounge area or from in bed.

D.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
mine has a pioneer fitted again not factory but fitted by the converter.
i have a 2 way switch next to the gear lever that in the up position is ignition switched
the middle position is off and the down position is fed from leisure battery.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Mine has a rather neat system, standard fit by Rapido but presumably could be done by anyone understanding electrics.

The radio (a pioneer, rapido not fiat standard fit) is controlled through the ignition when driving, but when stopped there is power from the leisure battery through a master switch on the control panel.

This is vastly better than my last van, which just had the standard radio which had the fiat / peugeot 20min cutout. It was such a pain that I bought a portable to take with us.

But as mentioned before on these forums, the rapido does have an issue, in that the microphone in the camera is live so when the radio is on you can hear people overtaking you through the rear speaker!

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Radio power

Hi all, a tad surprised that most on here appear to have their cab radio connected to the engine starting battery, we have an 3yr old Autotrail Arapaho and the cab radio is wired to the leisure batteries.

Have you checked to see which batteries it actually connected to?

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Radio

I also have a 2011 Autocruise Starfire and the radio would only work with the ignition ON. Checked the menu and it was set on 20mins so I checked with motorhome dealer and he confirmed the control panel iabove the habiitation door had to be ON for the radio to work with ignition OFF. Its now OK. The 20 mins switch off time still applies.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Thanks to everyone who contributed. Rather think my solution is to run power from a fused outlet on the leisure battery, which can be isolated when in storage.

Steve

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
re x250 i had an added problem in that the pionear dvd/sat nav head unit i have has no on/off switch.[made to be switched by acc position of ign switch] i got round this by a fused circuit for radio and dash power socket incorperated a 2hr timed relay [to avoid over use]with power "on" dash switch.. this allso has stopped the need to reset a sat nav or anything useing power socket every time you have a short stop ie fuel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back