Do we have to go over to the dark side??? Tesco that is. (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
About to take ownership of our first MH sometime soon and if things go as we expect, will probably want to travel to Europe maybe once a year.

We have a large Tesco which has a petrol station, neither of which we use at the moment.

I have read about the vouchers being used towards fares on Eurotunnel and just wondered how it works and whether it is worth changing for that alone.

Thanks

Steve

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
About to take ownership of our first MH sometime soon and if things go as we expect, will probably want to travel to Europe maybe once a year.

We have a large Tesco which has a petrol station, neither of which we use at the moment.

I have read about the vouchers being used towards fares on Eurotunnel and just wondered how it works and whether it is worth changing for that alone.

Thanks

Steve

Wash your mouth out........TESCO? Don't let ShiftZZ see this.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You exchange your Tesco clubcard points for credit against the tunnel costs I believe, not too sure how it works though

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
at the moment tesco vouchers can be exchanged for travel vouchers and can be used for chunnel bookings. someone that uses them will be able to advise the ratio of exchange and how to do it.
If points were kept on a card until needed i might do it but those silly bits of paper vouchers they send out every quarter are in this house a waste they always disappear. After all you collect the points by using their card system so why the need for paper vouchers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
The current exchange ratio is 3 to 1 so for every pounds worth of tesco vouchers you can get 3 pounds worth of travel vouchers. You exchange the tesco vouchers before booking and you can only book over the phone.

You can pay for a crossing in full or in part using the vouchers.

You don't have to shop in Tescos only. If you get a tescos credit card then you get points for every pound you spend on the card no matter where you spend it. Of course if you shop in Tescos and use there credit card to pay you get the instore points and the card points.

Lunarman

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
at the moment tesco vouchers can be exchanged for travel vouchers and can be used for chunnel bookings. someone that uses them will be able to advise the ratio of exchange and how to do it.
If points were kept on a card until needed i might do it but those silly bits of paper vouchers they send out every quarter are in this house a waste they always disappear. After all you collect the points by using their card system so why the need for paper vouchers

if you register your clubcard online with them you can print out your unused vouchers so if you loose them in the house somewhere you can still claim them that way.:thumb:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
And you don't have to have the paper vouchers sent to you. You can go online and change your options to evouchers.
Also if you've been issued vouchers but not used them, you can retrieve them via Tesco's clubcard website. Mine had been sent to the property where I house-sat last winter, but as they'd remained unused I could still use them online. Got my daughter 2 admission tickets to the Eden Project for £12 worth of Tesco vouchers.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
if you register your clubcard online with them you can print out your unused vouchers so if you loose them in the house somewhere you can still claim them that way.:thumb:

I know Andy and have done that in the past but the paper vouchers to me are still silly - why not leave the points on the card till needed like the 'nectar card'

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi I would second what Lunarman says we do the odd shop at Tesco but we have a Tesco cc that Lorraine uses for most of our purchases and when she comes home she just pays it online. If you also look at money saving expert he will tell you of clubcard deals. Thers was one deal if you bought any johnston product you got 100 clubcard points so the cheapest product was 69p so if you bought 2 that would be £1.38 you would get 200 points which equal £2 then times this by 3 and its £6 so a profit of £4.62.

This is only an example but if you have a few like this you can actually get your tunnel for nothing.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bet you cant tell im Scottish:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
We collect Tesco Clubcard points and used them for the Eurotunnel last year. (There are also other places that you can redeem them sometimes at up to 3 times their "face" value).

Eurotunnel last year - we booked a crossing that was listed at around £160 at full price. We then used £50 + worth of vouchers which were then tripled in value as a part of the Eurotunnel / Tesco deal so we effectively got the crossing for nothing. Booking was easy - we just researched what crossing we wanted, called Tesco to redeem the vouchers, they sent us some paper vouchers and we made the booking with Eurotunnel. We sent them off and our ticket was e mailed.

The crossing was a great experience and, in our opinion, preferable to the ferry alternative. We stayed in Kent the night before, got to the Eurotunnel fairly early only to be ushered onto the first train available which was about 2 trains prior to the one we were booked on. 35 minutes later, we were on the road in France.

Next time, I might even get across and stay for free at the supermarket in Calais at Cite Europe (right next to the Eurotunnel terminal). The only mistake that we made was on the way back when we thought that we could easily buy fuel at Cite Europe only to find that the barriers were too low to get the van in. I subsequently found out that there is another garage that I could have used in Calais. Next time, I'll fill up before I get back to Calais.

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks, we have calculated (guessed) that if we switched all of our bulk shopping and petrol to Tesco we would be spending about £400-450pm.

Is there a simple calculation to work out how much that would be over (in points/vouchers) a set timescale?

Thanks

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
1p in the £1 I think, so if you spend £400 you get £40 in points vouchers. The CC you get 1p for every £4 you spend so if you'd spent the £400 on the CC - in or out of Tesco's - you'd get a(nother) £10. ie if it was all in Tesco's, you'd get £50 points vouchers.

You do have to allow time for the Travel vouchers to arrive (we order them online) then to send em by signed-for post to Eurotunnel - so it's no use if you want to go eg this Monday! But if you plan at least some of your crossings, you'll be laughing!

We always book a very late train on a Sunday night/v early hours Monday - Pete leaves work at 6pm, home, wash and change, off we go. Have to allow for significant hold-ups on any of the mways - M6, M1, M25, M20 - so we usually get there very very early for our booked train. The checkout has always offered us lots of earlier choices. Pete plumps for the first one we can go on where we don't have to pay extra. The very minute our chosen train goes up on the info board 'proceed to boarding' we hotfoot it down there. Very often the train before the one we are sposed to be on hasn't left yet and isn't full in the high vehicles bit - so whoever gets to that barrier pdq will get on the end of the earlier one! (that we were sposed to pay extra for)

So even without the hour forward, we can be tucked up in bed wherever in France, BEFORE we should have left England!

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1p in the £1 I think, so if you spend £400 you get £40 in points vouchers. The CC you get 1p for every £4 you spend so if you'd spent the £400 on the CC - in or out of Tesco's - you'd get a(nother) £10. ie if it was all in Tesco's, you'd get £50 points vouchers.

1p in the £ x 400 = £4 :cry::cry:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
The only mistake that we made was on the way back when we thought that we could easily buy fuel at Cite Europe only to find that the barriers were too low to get the van in. I subsequently found out that there is another garage that I could have used in Calais. Next time, I'll fill up before I get back to Calais.
Hi Martin,

Turn in (green arrow) and cut through the lorry park, to the filling station at the bottom of the lane, as seen here on the map

We have a small pile of vouchers through using the Tesco credit card, as we don't do our weekly shop there either. However, we've still not built up enough to have made the tunnel price even close to the £48 return ferry (Dover/Dunkerque), through the CC booking system. :winky:

I agree with a previous poster about the silly vouchers. :Sad: The card has the capability to retain the points until needed.

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We love our Tesco vouchers. You can exchange them for all kinds of things - meals out, tickets to theme parks here and in France, airmiles etc. You can use them on the tunnel, on Stena Line (Hook of Holland to harwich) and ferries to Ireland.
We do most of our food shopping and fuel purchase at Tesco and currently I have almost £200 of vouchers ready to cash. That gives you £600 of exchange value on any of the above. Some people use them directly in exchange for food but you only get the face value if you do that.
During February there is an offer on Avios (airmiles) where you get 1000 miles for every £2.50 of Tesco vouchers. Avios can also buy ferry tickets and outings.
I personally think it is worth it to shop at Tesco for the vouchers but I also shop in other supermarkets (especially Aldis) for bargains. If fuel is cheaper elsewhere I buy the cheapest.
Happy voucher saving!

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
We have used the Tesco tunnel for last 3 years.
I buy fuel for my business and the extra penny or so that charge for fuel is well worth it.
3 return crossings @ £160 = £480 saved

We came back a day early from our last trip, we just turned up at the terminal gave them our ticket ad asked to be put on the next available crossing, 1hr later back in UK and no additional cost :thumb:

The year previous we had to come back a few days early due to family illness probs. I rand Euro Tunnel and they charged me £25 for changing our crossing date. So if you are changing your return date, just turn up and ask :thumb:
Happy Tesco Daze
Chrisboyo

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks for all the replies, I think I am getting there....

So £400 spend =£4pm x3 for vouchers so £12pm towards crossing fare.

Does that sound about right?

Steve

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thats ok if you have that option our nearest Asda is 35miles away so think it would work out more for us.

I know what you mean.. 70 mile round trip aint worth it ..

our nearest shop is Tesco, about 13mls.. Asda, Sainsbury's, Lidl, Aldi are at least 20 miles.. but we still use them about once a month when we go to Makro where buy a fair amount . especially fresh beef, chicken and fish which we buy in bulk and freeze.. great quality and good prices.. what we can't get there we buy in Tesco or one of the others.. all depends on the route and whatever else we are shopping for.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We use our Tesco Credit for most of our monthly spending (circa £2K) and do our weekly shop and fuel at Tesco. We also (due to an error by Barclays) paid the balance for our Motorhome by the Card and paid it when Barclays got their act together. We have just paid for our double glazing with the Card. We clear the Card each month so pay no interest.
Long and short of it is we get the vouchers and exchange them on line (usually for Cafe Rouge/Strada/Prezzo at 4x value). Last year we did the Tunnel (at 3x) and used £40 of vouchers to pay for the return crossing (£122) so paid a net £2. Will use the next lot on the Tunnel in May.
We think it works for us.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back