Glynn

Free Member
May 2, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have a small generator & if it's connected via the EHU point the reverse polarity light is on
I believe it's to do with the generator having a "floating earth " rather than a bonder neutral/earth. What does it really all mean i.e. is it OK to use in this manner for limited use as I would prefer to connect through the EHU rather than clip to the batteries for charging .
The Autotrail book says this does happen with generators but doesn't say if it's a bad thing...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
bit complicated to explain....

many generators have a centre tap earth in the windings which means the earth is actually connected to the 0v position of the wave form.....ie: 120v+ on one side of the 0v and 120v- on the other side of the 0v

imagine a figure S with a centre line through the middle like so... [STRIKE] S [/STRIKE]

the centre line has no volts so the charger sees the wrong polarity 50% of the time....120v+ 0v 120v-.
normally it would see 120v+ and 120v- for each half rotation of the rotor with 120v- and 120v+ on the next half rotation, with the earth being seperate from the windings.

not really much you can do about it except possible driving in an earth spike to the ground and connecting the gennie casing to that with a thick (10mmsq) wire which may or may not do anything constructive (never had the urge to try it) but reversed polarity shouldn't cause a problem.

sorry you asked now ? :roflmto:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
bit complicated to explain....

many generators have a centre tap earth in the windings which means the earth is actually connected to the 0v position of the wave form.....ie: 120v+ on one side of the 0v and 120v- on the other side of the 0v

imagine a figure S with a centre line through the middle like so... [STRIKE] S [/STRIKE]

the centre line has no volts so the charger sees the wrong polarity 50% of the time....120v+ 0v 120v-.
normally it would see 120v+ and 120v- for each half rotation of the rotor with 120v- and 120v+ on the next half rotation, with the earth being seperate from the windings.

not really much you can do about it except possible driving in an earth spike to the ground and connecting the gennie casing to that with a thick (10mmsq) wire which may or may not do anything constructive (never had the urge to try it) but reversed polarity shouldn't cause a problem.

sorry you asked now ? :roflmto:

Thanks for tha papps, you're definately wasted, you should be a lecturer!!:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I don't get reversed polarity - I get the NO EARTH light from my plug-in polarity tester when my Honda 1k genny is patched into the EHU.

I just make sure I'm wearing my Crocs................::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I don't get reversed polarity - I get the NO EARTH light from my plug-in polarity tester when my Honda 1k genny is patched into the EHU.

I just make sure I'm wearing my Crocs................::bigsmile:
that's because the earth in a gennie is actually connected to neutral internally.....0v

the earth in your house is also connected to neutral, but at the power/sub station, and gets back to the station via the ground

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I mentioned this to Dave Newell (the fount of all motor home knowledge !) He said not to worry it's perfectly normal !!:thumb::thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
You get the same sort of indications from a socket tester when the sockets are being run from an inverter too, if anyone is interested!::bigsmile:

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
no earth

Its just the difference in the way a gennie is wired compared to a powerstation! There are ways around the problem and most service engineers that carry generators have a "special" hook up lead which simulates what happens in a powerstation. I'm not going to tell you how to wire it as I don't want to be responsible for electrocuting members of the site!!!!

But don't worry what your seeing is normal.

OP
OP
G

Glynn

Free Member
May 2, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for that folks, I will just use it via the EHU inlet then.
It's really only a just in case scenario anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back