Won`t look so silly at Chester now......... (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
....now that we have purchased a Motor home that is.

Two weeks tomorrow ill be picking up our 07 plate Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 9500 miles, 5 berth with island bed.

Got what we think is a good deal which includes 4 cycle rack, extra leuisure battery, outside gas, elec and shower points.

It already had solar and habitation air con.

It has a gas tank but the salesman said his manager has just told him that because of new regulations they would have to remove or decominish it, they could not leave it connected and working.

Thanks for all the replies to my other threads that have helped us get this far, prepare yourselves for more to follow.

Steve

mikkidee

Free Member
Aug 1, 2010
Malton,North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since June 08
Hi Steve, I haven't seen your other posts so I assume this is your first van, congratulations I bet you can't wait to pick her/him up, don't want to be sexist:ROFLMAO: Will look out for the tag kon tiki at Chester.
Mike:Smile:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
....now that we have purchased a Motor home that is.

Two weeks tomorrow ill be picking up our 07 plate Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 9500 miles, 5 berth with island bed.

It has a gas tank but the salesman said his manager has just told him that because of new regulations they would have to remove or decominish it, they could not leave it connected and working.

Steve

Can i ask what new regulations, did he quote them - im sure folk on here that have gas tanks would like to know if something has changed

congrats on your van im sure you will have many happy travels

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks Mike, yes, our first van, looked on and off for 6 months, grappled with the usual decisions re size, layout, price etc. Mainly just for the two of us and our 4 month old German Sheperd Pup.

Only really felt comfortanle in the tags, got it down to Chieftan, Kon-Tiki (or Bessacar equivilent) and finally down to the one we have chosen. It comes with a 3 year guarantee on most of the important bits and had a couple of good reports in a earlier thread about the guarantee from this dealer, so hopefully nothing to worry about.

Exciting times ahead.

Steve

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Well done, look forward to seeing it.

Just a thought, im sure the deals done, but Eddie on here (Family Guy) is selling that exact same model with an absoloute Ruck of extras,,, In fact every concievable extra.

Nice van, been pissed in it me self :thumb:

check it out here

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/220938182419...&_trksid=m570&_nkw=220938182419&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

What ever you decide, good luck and look forward to seeing it at Chester. :thumb:

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Can i ask what new regulations, did he quote them - im sure folk on here that have gas tanks would like to know if something has chaged

No, sorry, didn`t think to ask, I assumed it about it not being fitted by the manufacturer and them not wanting to be responsible sending a vehicle out when they cannot prove it is safe etc.

Speaking to salesman tomorrow, i will try and find out more.

Steve

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Congrats on the purchase...
Hope it meets your expectations.

Enjoy !!!:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
RE: gas tank.

unless it is a real bodge job how do they know it wasnt fitted professionally.

if they refuse to sell unless its removed or decommissioned i would tell them to decommission it.

i'm sure you could get it checked out by a gas safe engineer for a small fee.

if he/she says its a sub-standard/unsafe fitting then remove it.

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
RE: gas tank.

unless it is a real bodge job how do they know it wasnt fitted professionally.

if they refuse to sell unless its removed or decommissioned i would tell them to decommission it.

i'm sure you could get it checked out by a gas safe engineer for a small fee.

if he/she says its a sub-standard/unsafe fitting then remove it.

Thanks, will do.

I remember the space where the bottles go being empty and he mentioned being able to use bottles as well as the tank (before his boss told him it would have to be removed). So assume the tank is fitted underneath somewhere.

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Well done, look forward to seeing it.

Just a thought, im sure the deals done, but Eddie on here (Family Guy) is selling that exact same model with an absoloute Ruck of extras,,, In fact every concievable extra.

Nice van, been pissed in it me self :thumb:

check it out here

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/220938182419...&_trksid=m570&_nkw=220938182419&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

What ever you decide, good luck and look forward to seeing it at Chester. :thumb:

Thanks, typical, couldn`t find any private before last weekend. Especially one that is only 50 miles away.

Deal not finalised yet though, only paid a refundable deposit until test drive hopefully this weekend or monday as they had no trade plates last sat, believe it or not they had sent them all to the show in manchester and the only one left was was in the workshop which was locked up, or at least that was the story.

Looks like a nice van, both have their good points hab air con v satellite etc.

Mmmmmmmm

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Thanks, typical, couldn`t find any private before last weekend. Especially one that is only 50 miles away.

Deal not finalised yet though, only paid a refundable deposit until test drive hopefully this weekend or monday as they had no trade plates last sat, believe it or not they had sent them all to the show in manchester and the only one left was was in the workshop which was locked up, or at least that was the story.

Looks like a nice van, both have their good points hab air con v satellite etc.

Mmmmmmmm

Always the way I know.

Be intrigued about this gas tank though? sounds more like taking an extra off to make some money, they fetch good bucks

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
No one looks silly at a funster meet what with all the other nutters, munchies and other neredowells strolling about and from looking at the attenders list there will be quite a few of those.:ROFLMAO:

Enjoy your new home and see you at Chester:thumb:

Happy funster Daze ahead
chrisboyo

Do you play a ukelely or other instrument by any chance ?

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
No one looks silly at a funster meet what with all the other nutters, munchies and other neredowells strolling about and from looking at the attenders list there will be quite a few of those.:ROFLMAO:

Enjoy your new home and see you at Chester:thumb:

Happy funster Daze ahead
chrisboyo

Do you play a ukelely or other instrument by any chance ?

Thanks chrisboyo, unfortunately not, completely musically talentless... ::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks chrisboyo, unfortunately not, completely musically talentless... ::bigsmile:
Worry not, most of us are the same ::bigsmile:

There's only one Munchie (thank goodness :roflmto:) but plenty of us fit the other two categories :roflmto:

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Congratulations, sounds like a stonking van, whichever one you end up buying:thumb:
Geoff.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Gas tank

Good luck with your new, I would ask about their concerns re the internal gas tank, we had one in our last truck and have to say it was fantastic, no bottles to worry about fill up at the gas station for a fraction of the cost of buying bottles.
They are a definite plus so I would ask what is wrong with the tank that they don't feel happy about.
Whatever you choose to do we wish you well. :thumb:

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Hi

Personally I would tell them if they wish to continue with the sale they should if not happy with the gas tank as it is, they replace it at their expense and issue you with a certificate for it.

Regards
Steve

Oh by the way give the salesmen a link to this post for his lets say, EDUCATION..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back