Wildcamping in your motorhome (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As many of you know I enjoy wildcamping, I have written a beginners guide to wild camping for our magazine. Its not the definitive article but covers most aspects. Please feel free to discuss that wildcamping article here. Thanks. Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks Jim,a supurb article telling me a lot of what I already knew as well as confirming practices I believed to be right but had not read anywhere until now.

I particularly liked the reference to the rucksack, :ROFLMAO: Iam not sure I am yet that brave, and I had never thought of burying it but I too remember, now you have reminded me, of the dug latrines of scout camps too many years ago to remember.
I will have to invest in a good spade for my motorhome.

I must admit there is something adveturous about wildcamping that is lost when on a campsite.

Nice to know my photo was of some use serving as a reminder how much I am missing having soe time off and decent weather to go off again.

Norman and Sue

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It's an excellent article.

Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Good read and excellent advice, we haven't had a go at wilding yet but your advice has made it a little less daunting. Particular interesting about disposal of black waste, as we don't use chemicals I wasn't too worried about burying if needed but had wondered about using public loos, also good point about carrying a spare cassette. :thumb:

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Good bit of advice, well done Jim and thanks for using our photo of Loch Leven, one of our favourite spots.:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Good bit of advice, well done Jim and thanks for using our [HI]photo of Loch Leven,[/HI] one of our favourite spots.:thumb:

well, that's that place bolloxed .. :roflmto:

good article Jim.. spot on

I would love to see the members reserve the term "wild camping" for it's true meaning.

(ie.. not for any place that they can park up for free..)

otis the staffy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2010
Funster No
Scotjimland support what you say thats why we tend to use the term Free Camping when not really wild.:thumb:StaySafe

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
A very good article that I agree with 100%. As a confirmed wilder the article lays down all the golden rules that experienced wilders know and adhere to and those contemplating wilding will now have a better idea of the basics that we do as second nature. By the way thanks for using the photo.

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Very good article Jim.

You could consider a shopping trolley for the cassette trip to the public loos in place of the rucksack.

Also, RADAR keys are readily available through Fleabay.

That way there'll be no-one in the next cubicle listening to 'the plop' and there'll be a sink to help with hygene and cleaning up any spills.

June

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
As newbies we hadn't had a go at wilding in case we were committing some sort of offence. In fact the only time that we have really been near to it was just after we got the MH. I had to go to Harwich one weekend and we parked down on the front close to Old Harwich with a "view" straight across to Felixstowe docks. There was us and one other van there, looked like a self build, and we panicked all night. We were up and gone by 8am !

Having used the MH properly since then we now know a few of our limiting factors. Only one habitation battery ( now have a gennie), fresh water tank too small (looking at getting bigger one fitted + bigger grey waste) and not carrying enough food.

Your article has taught us a lot and we feel a lot more confident about wilding.

As an HGV driver I have had the dreaded knock on the door in the middle of the night. "But officer I have to deliver here at 7am" made little differance. I have had people knocking on the door looking for other things, but that is another matter !!!!!! :Blush:

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Very good article Jim.

You could consider a shopping trolley for the cassette trip to the public loos in place of the rucksack.

Also, RADAR keys are readily available through Fleabay.

That way there'll be no-one in the next cubicle listening to 'the plop' and there'll be a sink to help with hygene and cleaning up any spills.

June

The article points out the does and don't's regarding wild camping and I suggest that mis-use of the RADAR KEY SYSTEM must surely be a major DON'T such keys being for the exclusive use of those with a disability and needing to use such facilities. Plenty of other options available for Black waste disposal. Oh, and hope I am not the next to use your shopping trolley

Regards, Bryan

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Oh, and hope I am not the next to use your shopping trolley

Regards, Bryan

I think he meant one of those little trolleys you pull behind you. Not the Tesco jobby::bigsmile:

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Correct about the shopping trolley.

We bought one just for the cassette and it doesnt get used for anything else.

I dont advocate mis-use of the RADAR key scheme, however, if the toilet is free and we leave everything smelling fresh and clean, are we really causing harm?

June

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have put some photos in an album titled "Off Grid Camping" This is what my idea of wilding is all about. In my opinion its not a case of saving money or being a freeloader. I personal don't like campsites and the regimental regime that goes with them. If ever the day comes that I cant travel,then I would consider a caravan and perhaps stay on campsites but whilst am still able to travel I will use my MH as it was designed,as a camper. I also don't use motorways,not because am a tightwad but because one motorway is much the same as another anywhere in the world. I have always advocated the responsible use of wild camping spots and will continue to do the same. When I say wild camping I don't mean Tesco carparks,Industrial estates,back street alleyways etc. I mean wilding in the wild. I also don't use generators as I have invested money in alternative energy so that I can wild. Whats the point of sitting in the wilderness listening to the waves from the ocean or the birdsong with a generator running in the background....Heaven forbid and God help the idiot that parks next me with one.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Dave, some good points. I have just added this paragraph to the article.

Wildcamping is not about saving money, it is about parking up in quiet locations that for a night or two you can enjoy and call your own. In my opinion some confuse wild camping with the free camping. There are legions of people who proudly boast they never, ever, pay to camp, they will park anywhere, if they have a nice location its a bonus, but if its tucked around the back of the cement works, as long as they are not paying, that's good. The difference between me and them is that I would pay to camp on a nice isolated bit of headland. I don't wildcamp to save money, I wildcamp because I like camping in nice isolated places on my own.

Have put some photos in an album titled "Off Grid Camping" This is what my idea of wilding is all about. In my opinion its not a case of saving money or being a freeloader. I personal don't like campsites and the regimental regime that goes with them. If ever the day comes that I cant travel,then I would consider a caravan and perhaps stay on campsites but whilst am still able to travel I will use my MH as it was designed,as a camper. I also don't use motorways,not because am a tightwad but because one motorway is much the same as another anywhere in the world. I have always advocated the responsible use of wild camping spots and will continue to do the same. When I say wild camping I don't mean Tesco carparks,Industrial estates,back street alleyways etc. I mean wilding in the wild. I also don't use generators as I have invested money in alternative energy so that I can wild. Whats the point of sitting in the wilderness listening to the waves from the ocean or the birdsong with a generator running in the background....Heaven forbid and God help the idiot that parks next me with one.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Heaven forbid and God help the idiot that parks next me with one.[/QUOTE said:
I'm sure that you have a valid point about generators, but I have one and don't really think I'm an idiot.

I have one as a last resort and don't intend to use it willy nilly.
I can't afford alternative power at the moment as we have used a good wad to buy a new MH.
If I did have to use it, it would be for as short a period as possible, having made sure that any neighbours had been consulted first. It may be a choice between running the genny or the MH.
Hopefully I would never be in the situation to have to use because I had planned well.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I'm sure that you have a valid point about generators, but I have one and don't really think I'm an idiot.

I have one as a last resort and don't intend to use it willy nilly.
I can't afford alternative power at the moment as we have used a good wad to buy a new MH.
If I did have to use it, it would be for as short a period as possible, having made sure that any neighbours had been consulted first. It may be a choice between running the genny or the MH.
Hopefully I would never be in the situation to have to use because I had planned well.

In most cases the only neighbours that I have with me whilst wilding are the ones I chose to bring with me. Otherwise I may as well be on a campsite.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
In most cases the only neighbours that I have with me whilst wilding are the ones I chose to bring with me. Otherwise I may as well be on a campsite.

I would certainly agree with that Snowbird, but as this is only a small country it must happen now and again.

Hopefully everyone could agree to not disturb each other.
I would certainly be looking to park as far away as possible in the case of two MHs in the same area. Even to the point of looking for somewhere else if I was second on the scene. :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Come, come Dave... you know I am a man of peace... anyhow, too busy at the moment trying to arrange Velo-Solex repairs before Marjal...

JJ :Cool:
Don't tell me you have broken the thing again. Am thinking of collecting a few old Mobilettes up from here. Orders will be taken later.:winky:
Had an old Simpson offered to me today.:thumb:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you want to laugh .go to lynton trailers on google follow their threads to big rigs .there is a lovely fifth wheel with a small gennie on the truck. worth a look . you wouldnt want this one next to you .ha ha .
mind blowing truck though.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
if you want to laugh .go to lynton trailers on google follow their threads to big rigs .there is a lovely fifth wheel with a small gennie on the truck. worth a look . you wouldnt want this one next to you .ha ha .
mind blowing truck though.

Just had a look at the rig.

Not much chance of even wanting to be parked next to that. It's got the Saudi royal emblem on the side so it looks like the king won't have to "rough it" in a tent anymore. ::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
nice little gennie though ,what do you say. hee hee .
when mine grows up it wants to be one of those.
same family after all.

brianju

Free Member
Sep 18, 2007
Hampshire Hogs now in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
A class 1991 Hymer B544
Exp
10yrs ish - US 5th Wheel/US RV/Eurovan
We love being off the beaten track and have always driven in the toad or walked from a campsite to get there.
I would love to do a bit of wildcamping ... but the thing that worries me most is parking up going for a long walk then returning to our rv only to find it's been broken into!
Like most people, we carry a fair bit of nickable kit which is impossible to carry on a walk ... we could alarm up, but would anyone hear it if it did sound off!

So do you stay with your camper and just chill out on the spot or do you happily leave it and hope for the best?

Julia :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back