Custom POI's and different Sat Navs (1 Viewer)

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Until today I had assumed that all Sat Navs used Custom POI's in the same way.
On my Navman's I would get an 'Alert' within 1k of an Aire or any other Custom POI and I found that a really usefull feature.
However,my Navman 'died' on way to Dover last Sept and I replaced it with a Garmin Nuvi 1490 and used that on last trip with no Custom POI's.
I have just loaded 'LPG in Spain' as Custom POI's and was surprised to find that there was no facilty to set the 'Alert' distance-I rang Garmin to ask about this and was told that you cannot have 'Alerts' on Custom POI's,they are just a list of places that you put on there yourself and you have to scroll through to the one you want and 'click' on it.

Do other Sat Navs have 'Alerts' for Custom POI's,or is it only Navman ?

In France I would often not care which Aire we stayed on or where we got LPG I would just drive in direction we wanted to go and when an LPG alert came up I would go to that garage,similarly in early afternoon we would often drive until an Aire alert came up and then go there.
Now it seems I have to actually know where I want go :ROFLMAO:What a drag ::bigsmile:
Mike

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Until today I had assumed that all Sat Navs used Custom POI's in the same way.
On my Navman's I would get an 'Alert' within 1k of an Aire or any other Custom POI and I found that a really usefull feature.
However,my Navman 'died' on way to Dover last Sept and I replaced it with a Garmin Nuvi 1490 and used that on last trip with no Custom POI's.
I have just loaded 'LPG in Spain' as Custom POI's and was surprised to find that there was no facilty to set the 'Alert' distance-I rang Garmin to ask about this and was told that you cannot have 'Alerts' on Custom POI's,they are just a list of places that you put on there yourself and you have to scroll through to the one you want and 'click' on it.
[HI]
Do other Sat Navs have 'Alerts' for Custom POI's,or is it only Navman ? [/HI]

In France I would often not care which Aire we stayed on or where we got LPG I would just drive in direction we wanted to go and when an LPG alert came up I would go to that garage,similarly in early afternoon we would often drive until an Aire alert came up and then go there.
Now it seems I have to actually know where I want go :ROFLMAO:What a drag ::bigsmile:
Mike

Yes, My TT One XL has alerts for custom POIs...

For example, I loaded it with Low Bridges, (all heights) and could set an alert for any below the height of my RV ..
Also had weight limits and set alerts for 3.5t and 7.5t

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Just been looking to update my Garmin zumo 550 on line.
To update the European maps from 2009 to now is £80.00
Halford sell better models with more functions and latest maps for £89 to £100 !
How can they justify this? Seems such a waste to throw mine away.
:whatthe:

OP
OP
MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Halford sell better models with more functions and latest maps for £89 to £100 !

Ah-I got free lifetime updates with mine-that was big selling point-but,I do think I'll go Tom Tom next time. Ok Ok JJ ::bigsmile:
Mike.

bobh

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Powys
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Several Years
Sat navs

TOMTOM ROOLS...

Can anyone tell me of any features that any sat-nav has that TomTom sat-navs do not have?

JJ :Cool:

I have enquired with Tom Tom about the facility that a snooper has to be able to imput height length width and they say they do not produce a sat nav except for commercial users. Far too expensive for the public.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Ah-I got free lifetime updates with mine-that was big selling point-but,I do think I'll go Tom Tom next time. Ok Ok JJ ::bigsmile:
Mike.

Do you think this may be a answer to update my sat nav ,it`s non genuine.
Has anyone tried one of these?
Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

yeah.. my TT is circa 2007 .. maps well out of date and as you say it's cheaper just to buy another new one..

same as the printer ink rip off .. it's called(so I am led to believe) the razor blade business model .. sell you a printer cheap and make money on the consumables.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
yeah.. my TT is circa 2007 .. maps well out of date and as you say it's cheaper just to buy another new one..

same as the printer ink rip off .. it's called(so I am led to believe) the razor blade business model .. sell you a printer cheap and make money on the consumables.

Bought the lifetime update last year,now the unit u/s and is running about 3 miles off track --tried resetting no good- - just my luck, i think these units are pre programmed to die :cry:

I use my android phone now with a free app on it and it is better than Garmin:thumb:

Is it possible to download the Camping P O I downloads on to a Android phone and use them as i did with my old Garmin.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If you have POI icons associated with the POI file, a Garmin will display the relevant icon when you are close to a POI. But you have to be pretty close before it appears.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User

That sounds great :thumb: Does anyone know if these 'POI's' can be loaded into Google Maps and then used on a smart phone? :Smile:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
If you have POI icons associated with the POI file, a Garmin will display the relevant icon when you are close to a POI. But you have to be pretty close before it appears.

My Garmin unit is U/S on any nav job now, tells me to turn right ect when that would take me 100 miles farther :Eeek: -The icon arrow on the screen runs about 3 miles off track next to every road i use.

It is almost as if it`s lost to start with :Doh:

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
The best site is pocketgpsworld.com. They have loads of advice on different SatNavs and the format of the data required from each. If in doubt you can ask in their forums.

The install guide is here :thumb: for speed cameras but works for any other data. It gives you information on even the most obscure CD based systems .......

It is worth signing up (for free) just to get the POI's or Points of Interest of all the Supermarkets, LPG stations etc.

Cheers

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Bought the lifetime update last year,now the unit u/s and is running about 3 miles off track --tried resetting no good- - just my luck, i think these units are pre programmed to die :cry:

I use my android phone now with a free app on it and it is better than Garmin:thumb:

Is it possible to download the Camping P O I downloads on to a Android phone and use them as i did with my old Garmin.

Quite agree, don't know why anyone buys dedicated satnavs anymore, both android and iPhones have excelent navigation now iPhone is even driven by tomtom, all free and always upto date.

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Someone here ::bigsmile: asked about putting POI's on Google Maps for an android mobile ...

Well, it works if you follow these Link Removed using this Link Removed.

I've just put all the Caravan Club sites on my Google map on my lap top. I will not enter into any discussion why I would want that however, or whether I prefer them to the C&CC! :ROFLMAO:

Cheers

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
In a nutshell you need to dump your GPS Favorites into a custom POI file, export the POI file to your computer, have GPS Visualizer's Bable convert it into a KML file which you then upload to your custom My Maps file, then it's easy street, and you simply enable the My Maps layer on your Google Maps on the Droid, either tap on a "Favorite" which now has a flag, or dis-able then renable it (My Maps Layer) and select it from a list and pick your option (Show on Map, Get Directions, Nav).

Could you run that by me again please::whatthe:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Which is the best workable (off line) Sat Nav app download for a android phone.

There seems to be a few to pick from.

Can a phone hold all the map data for the UK and Europe without being on line.:whatthe:

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Google android maps can download maps for use offline. See here.

Their navigation App claims to work after you have set it up- even if you have gone offline after setting it up. Not tried it though!!! See here.

Cheers

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
My Garmin unit is U/S on any nav job now, tells me to turn right ect when that would take me 100 miles farther :Eeek: -The icon arrow on the screen runs about 3 miles off track next to every road i use.

It is almost as if it`s lost to start with :Doh:
sounds to me like its running a trial route in real time, check your settings, I had the same problem ages ago on a navman.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back