Powerline Ethernet Network Adapter (1 Viewer)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I use a "Netwgear" FS108 10/100Mbps which is an 8 port unit. never had any problem of any kind, I have 1 desktop, 2 laptops and a Dell power edge 1850 server all connected through the network.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks Doug..

I am thinking of adding an echostar video recorder, sat thingy with TIVO.

Currently running:

4 Dell Laptops
2 Dell Desktops
1 Iphone
2 Kindle
HP Homeserver
3 printers
3 wifi cameras

I was hoping to add a second wireless router via Powerline and take some pressure off the wifi router

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Thanks Doug..

I am thinking of adding an echostar video recorder, sat thingy with TIVO.

Currently running:

4 Dell Laptops
2 Dell Desktops
1 Iphone
2 Kindle
HP Homeserver
3 printers
3 wifi cameras

I was hoping to add a second wireless router via Powerline and take some pressure off the wifi router

Bloody hell Shifftz where do you live? Curry's:winky:

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i have used comtrend 200mbps ones for a few years now to get movies from my pc to my media player which is hooked up to my tv, never had any problems ,work out of the box and have just started to steam HD movies and sky go on the tv with them , i would recommend using them if you don't want cables trailing all over and wifi is no good for HD movies

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have one of these...it works well and covers all my low sigmal areas without any wires or usb cables.:thumb:
NETGEAR WN3000RP Universal WiFi Range Extender - Wireless network

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
I live in an old stone farmhouse with thick walls and radio signals just don't penetrate so invested in Homeplug Turbo 85mbps which work really well, I have 3 one for the router, one for laptop and one on the Freesat box which gives me BBC iPlayer. I don't need the 200mbps speed but if I went down that route they also do a wireless version so from router to room via mains cable then wireless in the room, I think that's how it works:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
My IT tecky son-law told me they work ok as long as both units are on the same ring main, so if you have one ring main for upstairs and one for down stairs it dont allways work.

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
My thoughts on these (I work in the Telecoms arena) is that "They work as designed".

Nothing great, but a good Plan B.

I edit lots of photos and store the photos on a NAS box which normally connects to my home network via a 1GB switch that my editting PC attaches to.

If you can imagine, my "RAW" photos are anything between 20 and 30mb each, so speed is required. On a 1GB connection, you don't notice too much of a difference for those stored locally.

Wireless is no good, I have a WiFi N, which is running at 150mbs, great for normal things, but far too slow for pictures, which is why I don't use my Laptop for editting. I gave one of the Powerline adapters a go and yes, it works fine and was getting slightly better results than Wifi, but still not quick enough.

Therefore, for general usage (Internet for example), it's great, but for moving large amounts of data then no.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi Shift

I use the PowerLine units. Wireless is out due to the thickness of the walls. I run the units all over the place, and even use an Apple Airport Express to boost the Wifi in some parts of the house so my iPad and BBC iPlayer combo works

Not the very best way to do it, I agree running cable is better, but, in my case this is practicable so this is an acceptable solutions

Cheers

Eddie

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
One thing to remember with any home network.

If you are just simply trying to get an extension to your Internet connection, speed shouldn't be an issue, even if you are running things like BBC iPlayer with HD video.

If you are one of the lucky ones, the quickest internet connection you'll have at home is 30mb, really lucky if you managed to get 100mb as advertised by BT currently (that I'd like to see!).

Even if you are only getting 100mb across your network, it's still quicker than your internet connection, so you'll be fine.

To throw a spanner in the works though, you can have latency issues, which is sort of different to speed. Bandwidth is the speed you get the data onto the line, latency is how long it takes. That's why a 150mb Wifi connection is slower than a 100mb wired connection.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Broken Link Removed :winky:

Oh dear, that shoots down what I said.

I am amazed, what I have found with X-10 mains carrier is if the wrong "wall wart" is plugged in next to an X-10 unit can damp out the X-10 signal and make it unreliable.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back