Which gas bottles and connectors do I need? (1 Viewer)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Morning everyone,
Motorhome has a UK gas cylinder attached. I now need to get & fit 2 French cylinders.

1. Which gas do I get? (Butane? propane? are they different or all the same?)

2. Do I need a different regulator or will a French cylinder fit on the one already there?

I'm sure there'll be more questions along soon-have yet to tackle water systems :winky:

( all drained to avoid frost damage--travelled back on a lot of bottled water!)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

you will need to buy the French regulator and for all season use, better to use propane as butane stops boiling off (gassing) at around +3deg C ..

Upvote 0

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
How long are you in france?...........Perhaps the "calor gas" you already have will be enough ?

Not sure of your intended trip........but other people might be able to guess how long 2 calor gas cylinders might last on the continent at different times of the year.

barry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
How long are you in france?...........Perhaps the "calor gas" you already have will be enough ?

Not sure of your intended trip........but other people might be able to guess how long 2 calor gas cylinders might last on the continent at different times of the year.

barry

Hollyberry's Location: Dordogne, France

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Thanks---yes it is a bit confusing that I live in France but bought a UK motorhome.

so I buy 2 propane cylinders plus 1 regulator? And is the regulator easy to fit/ swap over? Should I try to find a garage/dealer to do it for me or should I be able to do it? (I can change cylinders as do this in the house)

Sorry to sound dim--and I haven't even got onto the water yet!!!

Upvote 0

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Hi. We got ours from Carrefour. 1 euro deposit and free regulator. :thumb:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks---yes it is a bit confusing that I live in France but bought a UK motorhome.

so I buy 2 propane cylinders plus 1 regulator? And is the regulator easy to fit/ swap over? Should I try to find a garage/dealer to do it for me or should I be able to do it? (I can change cylinders as do this in the house)

Sorry to sound dim--and I haven't even got onto the water yet!!!

Yes..

It's straight forward job if you have and can handle a screwdriver.

Undue the worm drive clamp and slip it up the hose.. , pull off the old regulator and slip on the new.. if it's a bit tight use a smear of washing liquid on the regulator tail.. replace and re-tighten the clamp.

However.. also look at the gas pipe, they have a finite lifespan so it may be worth while changing at the same time.. should have a date stamp.. if not it probably needs replacing.

If in any doubt, as the retailer to have a look and help change it ..

Upvote 0

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
dont forget to put old uk regulator in your spares box, just in case you come over here and need gas (allough you will need a uk bottle so why not bring the old uk calor bottles back next time you come home and leave somewhere over here)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Wise (I hope advice) !

DON'T take a chance with gas......Get a local gas retailer to do it for you !
He will have all the equipment to check for leaks once fitted ! Stephen.:thumb:

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you keep the UK regulator, ensure it is kept in a sealed bag to prevent dust/dirt ingress.

Swapping regulators is easily a DIY job. However swapping the entire hose may not be depending on how competent you are and what type and location the other end of the hose is. On one of my vans it was recessed back and very hard to get to, it was hard to tell if I had tightened the jubilee clip enough.

If it is just a regulator swap then this is a DIY job in my opinion. I use a spanner not a screwdriver on the jubilee clip however as I find it easier and less chance of slipping and gouging a chunk out of the palm of your hand :Doh:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I use a spanner not a screwdriver on the jubilee clip however as I find it easier and less chance of slipping and gouging a chunk out of the palm of your hand :Doh:

better still, and a very useful tool is a 7mm flexible shaft nut spinner .. a must for every motorhomer.. will get into the most awkward of places with ease and no gouged hand..

but I didn't think Holly would have one ..

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back