Free Member
Jan 21, 2012
cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i'm a newbie
hello,just joined forum today.recently bought 1st motorhome,2001 hymer b584(noticed you have hymer, hence this msg).only been away for a couple of weekends so far,but i love my van despite teething problems and my woeful lack of knowledge about things mechanical and electrical (am female),not stupid but i just never learned this stuff. today i parked outside parents house to plug into electric (had new engine battery put in this week,yes old one died cos i left van too long) . anyway, plugged in and when i switched on 12 volt switch there was a constant sound which i thought was the cab heater fan but couldnt turn it off. when i switched off 12 vlt, the noise stopped with an accompanying click.did sound like noise was coming from dash area. also i dont know when to switch 12 volt on and off anyway re charging batteries. the seemingly comprehensive handbook uses terminology above my head and i wish i had someone to explain things,or could do a course or read a book i could understand. would so appreciate any tips and guidance.

Originally posted as a PM to Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hi and welcome.
Can't help you, I'm afraid, as I'm in the same boat! It's fine having all the books--I got a boxful with mine--but a lot of the technical terms mean nothing to me either,
You'll get lots of advice here, so ask away, as there's always someone who knows the answer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Just a thought: whereabouts in the van is your 12v switch? We had similar puzzle a while back - every time we switched on the 12v switch (ours is on the dash) this buzzing noise happened. Turned out one of the water taps was not turned off completely and was activating the pump. Though tank is under the front seats the noise appeared to be coming from the dash area.

:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mac3

Free Member
Jan 21, 2012
cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i'm a newbie
Hi and welcome.
Can't help you, I'm afraid, as I'm in the same boat! It's fine having all the books--I got a boxful with mine--but a lot of the technical terms mean nothing to me either,
You'll get lots of advice here, so ask away, as there's always someone who knows the answer.
good luck to you and me and thanks!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mac3

Free Member
Jan 21, 2012
cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i'm a newbie
Just a thought: whereabouts in the van is your 12v switch? We had similar puzzle a while back - every time we switched on the 12v switch (ours is on the dash) this buzzing noise happened. Turned out one of the water taps was not turned off completely and was activating the pump. Though tank is under the front seats the noise appeared to be coming from the dash area.

:thumb:
thankyou for that. 12v switch above back door,and i did think noise sounded a bit pumplike as much as heater fan,so where's the pump by the way? oops, now you mention it , did i leave taps on deliberately when drained water tanks in case of frost? think your'e on to something? embarrassed, me?

Upvote 0

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Haha! Take a deep breath! We're all learning - all the time! (See pm).

:Cool:

Upvote 0

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I am afraid I can't help either........but never worry about asking anything remember it is the fool who dosn't ask.....the one who does just requires more knowledge :thumb: good luck you will soon get the answers you need.

All the best Rick

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mac3

Free Member
Jan 21, 2012
cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i'm a newbie
I am afraid I can't help either........but never worry about asking anything remember it is the fool who dosn't ask.....the one who does just requires more knowledge :thumb: good luck you will soon get the answers you need.

All the best Rick
Wise words and thankyou. So glad I registered here!

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Mac, welcome to Motorhome Fun, hope you have sorted out your problem now, like you have found out when the taps are open the pump keeps working even left a small bit
We have the 584 as well, one thing I found out the hard way when having a shower put my clothes and towel on the toilet seat on top of the toilet flusher, wonder what the noise was the clothes etc had pressed down on the flusher and the loo was just about to flow over when I found out what the noise was.
Now I never put anything on the loo when having a shower.

Keep asking the questions its the only way to find your way around these things.:welcomefunster:

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The pump is a twin-barrelled submerged version that sits in the water tank. You MUST NOT run it without water in the tank or it will burn out. Make sure you shut all taps before turning on the 12V switch.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mac3

Free Member
Jan 21, 2012
cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i'm a newbie
thankyou for that. 12v switch above back door,and i did think noise sounded a bit pumplike as much as heater fan,so where's the pump by the way? oops, now you mention it , did i leave taps on deliberately when drained water tanks in case of frost? think your'e on to something? embarrassed, me?
Yes! Turned off taps- no noise! Thankyou so much. Have to wait till Ifill up with water to see if I damaged pump.Hopefully not as it was only on for a few seconds,albeit several times, while I was trying to locate where noise was coming from.Sobering how potentially expensive this learning curve could be, but already feel safer and more confident now I'm part of this forum.

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
it is a friendly place here and you learn so much and meet new friends.
the chat room can be an entertaining place too and theres a general knowledge quiz on a thursday evening at 8 pm.

feel free to call in to the chat rooms there is normally someone in there although numbers do change with the days and times. but don't be shy and ask away.

Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011

Funny I did exactly that, took me a while to work it ou:Doh:

Another trick to remember is that when you turn the gas off the fridge won't work on gas until you switch it back on, neither will the heating, I forgot that as well and was about to call the dealer to get someone to sort it when it dawned on me. I had drained the system but there is an automatic valve that opens below 8c, you have to turn the heater on to keep it from opening if the temp is low:Blush:

We all live and learn.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mac3

Free Member
Jan 21, 2012
cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i'm a newbie
The pump is a twin-barrelled submerged version that sits in the water tank. You MUST NOT run it without water in the tank or it will burn out. Make sure you shut all taps before turning on the 12V switch.
Thankyou. I read your message this morning, and in fact was lying awake in the night thinking how unwise it might be for the pump to be running without water. Suppose I'll have to wait till I fill up with water to see. Fingers crossed and thankyou. Any other tips on how to avoid the more expensve mistakes would be much appreciated! Already learned the battery one and know to disconnect negative terminal in future if laying up.Don't intend leaving "her" (?) (don't know where "her" came from but "it" feels disrespectful) for as long as a week from now on though. (she might feel abandoned, ha ha )

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mac3

Free Member
Jan 21, 2012
cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i'm a newbie
it is a friendly place here and you learn so much and meet new friends.
the chat room can be an entertaining place too and theres a general knowledge quiz on a thursday evening at 8 pm.

feel free to call in to the chat rooms there is normally someone in there although numbers do change with the days and times. but don't be shy and ask away.
Thanks for that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mac3

Free Member
Jan 21, 2012
cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i'm a newbie
Funny I did exactly that, took me a while to work it ou:Doh:

Another trick to remember is that when you turn the gas off the fridge won't work on gas until you switch it back on, neither will the heating, I forgot that as well and was about to call the dealer to get someone to sort it when it dawned on me. I had drained the system but there is an automatic valve that opens below 8c, you have to turn the heater on to keep it from opening if the temp is low:Blush:

We all live and learn.
Thankyou, that was very helpful!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mac3

Free Member
Jan 21, 2012
cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i'm a newbie
Hi Mac, welcome to Motorhome Fun, hope you have sorted out your problem now, like you have found out when the taps are open the pump keeps working even left a small bit
We have the 584 as well, one thing I found out the hard way when having a shower put my clothes and towel on the toilet seat on top of the toilet flusher, wonder what the noise was the clothes etc had pressed down on the flusher and the loo was just about to flow over when I found out what the noise was.

Keep asking the questions its the only way to find your way around these things.:welcomefunster:
The noise was cos taps were on! Thanks so much for your tip about bathroom. I have quite a history of flooding bathrooms,as my friends would testify,so that advice almost certainly averted disaster,as long as I remember!

Upvote 0

otis the staffy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2010
Funster No
mac3 welcome and keep asking, what is happening to you has happened to someone else down the line and they are the folk who can make life easy good luck and enjoy,Stay Safe:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mac3

Free Member
Jan 21, 2012
cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i'm a newbie
mac3 welcome and keep asking, what is happening to you has happened to someone else down the line and they are the folk who can make life easy good luck and enjoy,Stay Safe:thumb:
Thanks. Feel less of a plonker when experienced motorhomers say "that happened to me".I can see this is a great support network.

Upvote 0

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Hi mac3 and welcome to MHF, we also have a Hymer 584 (1999 model), had it since sep last year, we have motorhomed for about 15 years and still learning, look at the diary for dates of meets they are really good to put faces to names:welcomefunster:

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
its only like setting off from a pitch to hear a scraping noise looking in the rear camera to find nothing visible then the sudden realisation :Doh:the rear steady legs are down:Doh:

yup i been there and done that. i haven't yet set off with the hook up cable attached but i suppose there is still time.
and yes i do still forget to lock the odd cupboard / drawer although i soon remember when it comes to the first corner and you hear a crash from the hab area.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
one good way to get things sorted is to attend a meet
there are always one or two hwo would have a look and help you understand the workings of your MH

hope you enjoy your MH as much as I do my RV
the freedom and comfort is hard to surpass

keep us informed how you get on

yours Ian :thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983

You were very nearly in the poo there Carol........:RollEyes:

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
aba;537059[HI said:
]its only like setting off from a pitch to hear a scraping noise looking in the rear camera to find nothing visible then the sudden realisation :Doh:the rear steady legs are down[/HI]:Doh:

A simple tip I was given to prevent this happening .....................

Whenever you lower the corner steadies do NOT replace the handle in it's usual place but put it across the brake/clutch/accelerator pedals as a reminder until you are ready to move off.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back