Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Evening all,

As you can see we have 2 girls, question is how to secure them when on the move. we're looking at rear lounge lwb pvc with floor space between seats. Sideways seatbelts with chest harness is an option, they would love the trips on the seats:RollEyes: but not too sure about the law and proving its only for the girls, other anchorage could be floor mounted, maybe a "D" ring bolted to the floor, anyone else have options?
the last thing we want (or them) is 60+kg of fur moving forward at a rapid rate.

Cheers
2dogs

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
When you buy your motorhome, you could consider a garage model if you are worried.

It'll keep the hair in one place too!::bigsmile:

Only downside is you'll have two very disorientated dogs when you arrive at your destination!

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
My two used to lay on the floor or in their beds.....they were both labs and did many thousands of miles with no problems.

All the best Rick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
We have four dogs - the adult dogs each are harnessed and are happy on their bed between the front seats - the harnesses are secured to the passenger seat.

The pups travel in their cage which is just behind the seats - we plan to have them on harnesses eventually but as they are still prone to travel sickness we keep them (and the s..k) in the cage.

Kath & Howie

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Our two used to sit on throws on the rear belted seats

each with a dog harness attached to the human seat belt

Buster used to sit and watch the world drift by

Tuppence didn't like the journey but accepted It

On site they both enjoyed themselves :Smile:::bigsmile:

Sadly we are now between dogs :cry:

Last edited:

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
i always get the wife to hold are dog Tilly the jack russell in her arms as its mans best friend

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Zoe just used to lay on her bed behind our seats. Izzy has a harness and a strap attached to an extra seat belt clip we have fitted. Whoever is in the passenger seat can have her on their lap or she can go in her bed, still strapped, behind our seats or she has taken to going in the door footwell, goodness knows why, I do not think she does. In some countries they have, by law, tobe restrained. Germany for one :roflmto: we cannot remember the others offhand. Jane :Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
at 74 kgs Ezzie does her own thing

Ezzie at 74 kgs does her own thing.. normally up the steps in to the RV hops up on the settee behind Sue seat... this is a B class so the settee is further out than the driver and passenger seats.

She has travelled many many thousands of miles like this.. early she gets off the settee and may then come and stand between us in the front.. but as the window screen is higher up than her head she cannot see anything, so she goes back to the side settee and watches the world go by, or just goes off to sleep for hours at a time..

We always stop every few hours to let her get out and stretch her legs and have some water... only thing she has not worked out is the channel tunnel.. she can feel movement but when she looks out nothing is moving.

But she took to the RV like a duck to water... if I go out to work on the RV (like this morning) she really creates if she is not allowed on.. despite not going anywhere she still wants to be on the van if we are on it. It is great to have a dog or dogs that like to travel, makes motor homing all the better.

Bob:thumb:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Nix (Border Collie) travels in her crate which luckily just fits snugly behind the cab seats. The crate is also her bed and den so it's no big deal to her when it starts moving. It folds up out of the way when not needed and she then just has the vetbed pad from it as her bed. Overnight and when I need to leave her in the van she goes back in her crate so there is no chance of her chewing anything she shouldn't. :Smile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
In our old van we has a ubolt through the recessed hole in the floor inteded to take a table leg. it was reinforced underneath and still allowed the table to be used when the dogs were unclipped. both dogs have body harnsses and now clip to the rear of our seats in such a way that they can stand sit or lie down but not get between the seats. Their harnesses clip into an extra seatbelt anchor point I fitted to the seat base.
I really am not into flying dogs, for their sakes and mine.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
snip

In some countries they have, by law, tobe restrained. Germany for one :roflmto: we cannot remember the others offhand. Jane :Smile:

France:

this is from an ex pats forum

1. Article R317-23 du code la route
"Tout véhicule à moteur, toute remorque, à l'exception des véhicules ou matériels agricoles ou de travaux publics, doit être aménagé de manière à réduire autant que possible, en cas de collision, les risques d'accidents corporels, aussi bien pour les occupants du véhicule que pour les autres usagers de la route."

Uun animal en liberté sur le siège arrière peut être accidentogène et donc le véhicule doit être aménagé pour la sécurité du conducteur et des autres voitures.

2. article 4 du décret du 13 décembre 1995 sur le transport des animaux

"Art. 4. - Il est interdit à tout transporteur ainsi qu'à tout propriétaire, expéditeur, commissionnaire, mandataire, destinataire ou tout autre donneur d'ordre d'effectuer ou de faire effectuer un transport d'animaux vivants :
1o Si les véhicules ou moyens de transport quels qu'ils soient ne sont pas conçus ou aménagés conformément à des exigences de confort et de salubrité définies par arrêté du ministre chargé de l'agriculture et de telle sorte que les animaux y disposent d'un espace et d'une aération suffisants et d'une protection appropriée contre les intempéries et les écarts climatiques plus graves ainsi que contre les chocs possibles en fonction de l'espèce considérée et des conditions normales de transport ;
2o Si les dispositions convenables n'ont pas été prises pour que soient éliminés les risques de blessures et les souffrances qui peuvent être évitées pendant le transport ;
3o Si, hors le cas de nécessité absolue, les animaux doivent rester entravés pendant le transport."

ce texte loi sert à protéger les animaux des accidents de la route.

Le filet en soi n'est pas stipulé comme obligatoire dans ces 2 textes mais un dispositif doit être mis pour limiter les déplacements du chien ou du chat dans la voiture. Donc ça peut être un filet séparant le conducteur de l'animal ou une cage. le chien en liberté peut causer des accidents par distraction du conducteur, et en cas d'accident, le chien peut être projeté hors de la voiture (blessure + grave pour lui et pour vous aussi si vous vous le prenez dans la nuque

Google Translates.

1. Article R317-23 of the highway code
"Any motor vehicle, any trailer, except vehicles or farm equipment or public works shall be arranged so as to minimize, in a collision, the risk of personal injury, for both occupants of the vehicle for other road users. "

Uun animal at large in the back seat can be accident-prone and thus the vehicle must be equipped for driver safety and other cars.

2. Article 4 of the Decree of 13 December 1995 on animal transport

"Article 4.. - It is forbidden to any carrier and any owner, shipper, broker, agent, consignee or any other principal to perform or have performed a transport of live animals:
1o If vehicles or conveyances of any kind are not designed or constructed in accordance with the requirements of comfort and safety set by order of the Minister of Agriculture and so that the animals have a space and adequate ventilation and adequate protection against weather and climatic differences as well as against severe shocks possible depending on the species and conditions of transport;
2o If suitable arrangements have not been taken to be eliminated the risk of injury and suffering can be avoided during transport;
If 3o, except in cases of absolute necessity, the animals must remain shackled during transport. "

this text is legislation to protect animals from road accidents.

The net itself is not specified as mandatory in these two texts, but a device must be set to limit the movement of the dog or cat in the car. So it may be a net separating the driver of the animal or a cage. Dog at large can cause accidents by driver distraction, and in case of accident, the dog can be thrown from the car (+ serious injury for him and for you too if you take it in the neck

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
If they are used to being harnessed and seat belted, I'd go with that. cushion/mat on the floor and they may lie on that. Personally, I couldn't put mine in the garage part, they'd be pretty disorientated with the road noise and not being able to see out.
I have 2 of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOA-Folding-Fabric-Dog-Pet-Crate-Carrier-/310311530352?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&var=&hash=item8e08529782

Down through France one dog and 2 cats travelled in one while the other dog lay on the floor next to the driver's seat. The kennels can be sued inside and out and even the largest one folded flat can be carried in one hand.

otis the staffy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2010
Funster No
50K miles otis the staffy,on floor a piece of non slip matting used to line the cupboards placed between rear seats, cushion on top of that, blanket then dog teather to hand grab just inside door means he can turn around on bed and get comfy but if we brake quickly he cannot become air born as 20kg of dog hitting you at back of head may not do you or dog much good,as has been suggested we stop about every hour for us all to look around and stretch our legs.Works for us.Stay Safe:thumb:

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Our collie, Maddy, lies on her bed between the drivers and passengers seat. She loves being with people so just lies there. She is well behaved and if something happened she is already at the front so won't fly towards us. If she changes her behaviour we will need to rethink. We do have a dog harness with a seatbelt attachment if needed but she would just cry til she got beside us. When we had our other collie she would want to be with him but her loyalties have shifted since he passed away.

OP
OP
2dogs

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Thanks all for your replies,

Our girls are fine in the car boot, well behaved etc,

In a motorhome I still want them secured with chest harnesses though,
I do trust them to behave. Its the other driver factor that makes me want to wear a seatbelt and so should the girls, not that I don't trust other drivers .... you just can't predict them:Doh:

If enough room then belted behind front seats, if not then possibly anchor points on the floor.

Cheers
2dogs

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
After reading it's ilegal in France anyway to have a loose dog in the MH while driving I have 2 leads attached to a pet seat belt restraint to the dinette seatbelt so that Susie our yorkie can reach me in the front passenger seat, tried a short one and a throw on the dinette seat but she just cried to get to me, very distracting for driving, so she got her way.
I use it all the time now while travelling as I think that a loose dog panicking if in an accident could be very dangerous and or run off as they would be very frightened and not be their usual placid self!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back