Solar Charge Controller ~ Connected Load? (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Taking a look at solar charge controllers and notice most have 3 pairs of terminlas to connect cables to them.

There are a pair for the solar panel input. There are a pair to charge the leisure battery, it's the pair labelled "Connected Load" (icon usually a light bulb) are the ones I don't understand, can anyone enlighten me please?

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Hi. I use ours for lights etc. It's basically a 12v supply ... :thumb:

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Hi. I use ours for lights etc. It's basically a 12v supply ... :thumb:

Thanks yet again.

If you use those terminals as a 12v power point, and in your instance lights, how does that work after dark with no power input, or is 12v then drawn from the battery via the controller?

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
As above, that's correct. Only for lights or similar - not for connecting inverters and suchlike! :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
As above, that's correct. Only for lights or similar - not for connecting inverters and suchlike! :Smile:

Since read again in full the link you sent, it's advantage as a source of 12v power is the battery low voltage cut-out built in to the controller.

Thanks SC

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
it is a regulated 12V supply so ideal for voltage sensitive items. when the battery voltage drops too low the supply is cut off thereby protecting the batteries.
I have my inverter connected to the regulator, it runs my TV, satbox and DVD player total current draw seldom exceeds 5 amp and the 20 amp controller. So everything is safe.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
it is a regulated 12V supply so ideal for voltage sensitive items. when the battery voltage drops too low the supply is cut off thereby protecting the batteries.
I have my inverter connected to the regulator, it runs my TV, satbox and DVD player total current draw seldom exceeds 5 amp and the 20 amp controller. So everything is safe.

Just beat me to it Roger .. and was going to add...

Saying not to connect an inverter is a bit of a blanket statement. Better advice would be, do not exceed the stated maximum current of the controller ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back