Since 2009
I am looking for a 'Saint' to perform a huge favour for me ::bigsmile:
I am trying to get POI's in Garmin format for the following:
1. French Aires.
2.Spanish Aires.
3.LPG France.
4.LPG Spain.
5.France Passion.

Easy,I hear you say,go to downloads,download them in any format and convert!
I have just spent an hour trying that and whilst trying to convert a Tom Tom file I got error message 'not a valid ov2 file' and somehow managed to convert all my Garmin files back into Tom tom !!!

I can't get on with POI edit at all.

Heeeelp !
Mike.

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi Mike and Carolyn
I too would like the same information in .csv format for my Garmin although I do already have the French aires file from campingcars so fingers crossed that your appeal is answered.:thumb:

OP
OP
MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I went to Campingcar info-they seem to be only catering for Tom Tom now-whereas they used to give all formats without having to convert.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
The PoI Convertor program, downloadable from Link Removed, is easy to use and will convert TomTom files to both Garmin and .csv formats.

have downloaded Poi have some of files downloaded but cant work out how to convert:Sad:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
have downloaded Poi have some of files downloaded but cant work out how to convert:Sad:

Open the original file, select any options for the format you want to save in and then save in that format. The program does the rest.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007

It becomes second nature after a while - Ive got 3 different nav systems on the go - Copilot on my phone which is my main one, Garmin in the wifes car which is the back up and Autoroute on the Netbook - bleeding nightmare for all the POIs i have as 'just might come in handy'

Anyhar...how to convert

Open POI converter and open the file you want to convert by going to the to the top left menu item 'file', clicking it and selectibng open

A new window will open - and you need to navigate to where you have stored the file to be converted - NOTE - there is a drop down box in the bottom corner of this window which needs to be changed to the format of the file you want to convert from, it normally says Tom Tom Text (*.asc)

Once the file has been loaded and read by the program it will tell you how many POI points its read - if you know how many POIs there are in the original this is a good thing to check - so you dont loose any one the way!!

All thats left to do now is go back up to file menu and select save. Another new window will open, this time select where you want to save the new file, give it a new name if you want and select the right format in the Bottom drop down box

If you are converting into a format for a garmin, POI editor doesn't have the Garmin CSV format as an option, the autoroute CSV option has worked for me in the past as has the memory map on

There are a few goo converters out there as alternatives - TYRE is very good as it is specific for TomTom and Garmin - and you can also download trips etc if your SatNav has that feature, and is upto date (poi Edit was last updated 3 ish years ago)

And one of my new faves RouteConverter, bit more to this one but it does a very good job of poi edits and also if you like to keep track of where you have been through the gps tracks in your sat nav, you can edit that too...works best with a Internet connection as it goes hand in hand with Google Maps, but will do the converting etc offline as well

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back