Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I bought one of these dashboard charging kits ( all sorts of connections and 240v and 12 v and all the connectors ) recently and I have dialed in the correct voltage stuck on the correct nozzle and my laptop charged from my VW touran.... all very good .

But the touran for some reason allows the "cigarette lighter" connector to work with the ignition turned off.I dont think my motorhome does.

A couple of questions.....is it safe to charge my laptop while we are driving using the charger........ and what can I do when Im stationary with no mains hookup...as I am told that turning the ignition to on without starting the engine........is not a good thing to do...and wouldnt want to sit there with the engine running stationary anyway.

thoughts please

barry

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We haven't charged a laptop from the dash power socket when driving but we have charged phones, sat nav &c.

For off EHU we have a 12v plug to "lighter" socket lead similar to Broken Link Removed (there are several versions on the market) and charge the laptop from the leisure battery. During the March to October period the solar panel has more than replenished the power used.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We haven't charged a laptop from the dash power socket when driving but we have charged phones, sat nav &c.

For off EHU we have a 12v plug to "lighter" socket lead similar to Broken Link Removed (there are several versions on the market) and charge the laptop from the leisure battery. During the March to October period the solar panel has more than replenished the power used.

I do the same, charge from the leisure batteries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Im being thick here.but what sort of socket does the two pin plug go in ?

How/where do you pick up power from the leisure batteries ??

barry:Smile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
You will usually have one or more 12v sockets in the back, they may not look like the two pin plug, mine are the smaller continental size lighter type. There are many different sorts.

Gorsecover59

Free Member
Jun 6, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Swift,Lifestyle 530l
Exp
new
Im being thick here.but what sort of socket does the two pin plug go in ?

How/where do you pick up power from the leisure batteries ??

barry:Smile:
Hi Barry,
The 2 pin plugs into the 12v Habitation supply,You may find a socket like this very near to your aerial socket.This is one way to get the supply form your leisure Battery.
Martin

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes. On our (ex) van the socket is like the one at the foot of (page 2).

110240_lge.jpg

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Like these normaly in habitation area.:thumb:

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Hope this helps,
Also easy to wire in to leisure battery if not already there.Fitted 2 additional ones
in my apache 700

Regards
Steve

Nov 18, 2011
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2001
Laptop charger

Hi not quite sure what your "gissmo" is , but alll our devices have different outputs through there chargers , anyway , I used an inverter connected to the 12 voltoutput of the van , then plugged my laptop into the inverter through the ac /dc adaptor , used it on the move and stationary , hope this is usefull. Ronboyracer.:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back