Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi guys
been thinking of putting a city water feature on my motorhome.
what does this entail as i have a fresh tank , pump etc.
would the correct way be to install the inlet through a pressure regulator and non return valve then T into the pump line with another none return valve to stop the inlet going back into the pump and tank then just use the taps as normal with the pump switched off.

thinking about this for long term use on fully serviced pitches for when we hopefully get warden jobs.

thanks in advance.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you need to be careful of the water pipe connections and taps.

euro vans are usually fed by a pump rated at 14 to 20psi so the pressure regulator would need to be rated at no more than your pump.

i reckon your plumbing idea sounds about right though :thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
a real simple way would be via a ballcock valve, if you have access to the tank job done. Though the rest of the system would still rely on a pump.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Easily done I would have thought. You just need to bypass your holding tank and have the connection direct to the tank outlet. Rvers use reducers so that the mains pressure does not blow there pipe joints apart.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
never used mine and probably never will.......

don't relish the idea of a pipe 'popping' off when I'm not there or fast asleep......none stop water until you turn off the mains water. :Eeek:

OP
OP
aba

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hmm i see positives and negatives to this maybe i just need one of those caps for the tank with the hose connector on it and turn it on occasionally.

it was just an idea i was toying with to make life a little easier if i come up with a solution to the busted water pipe scenario then is possibly a goer.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
hmm i see positives and negatives to this maybe i just need one of those caps for the tank with the hose connector on it and turn it on occasionally.

it was just an idea i was toying with to make life a little easier if i come up with a solution to the busted water pipe scenario then is possibly a goer.

I have a city water connection but will not use it for fear of burst pipes. When I use a PRV to lower the inlet pressure the water flow inside is poor.

I just stick the hose pipe in the filler nozzle.

Jim
:Smile:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
hi guys
been thinking of putting a city water feature on my motorhome.
what does this entail as i have a fresh tank , pump etc.
would the correct way be to install the inlet through a pressure regulator and non return valve then T into the pump line with another none return valve to stop the inlet going back into the pump and tank then just use the taps as normal with the pump switched off.

thinking about this for long term use on fully serviced pitches for when we hopefully get warden jobs.

thanks in advance.
do you have micro switches on your taps??? if so no you can not

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I would have thought the easiest way if you can get at the side of your water tank is to drill a suitable hole near the top and fit an ordinary ball valve to it (about £5). Connect your mains water hose to this and this will then automatically refill your tank whenever you use some water. It won't put any extra pressure on the plumbing and will work with a pressurised or microswitch system.

OP
OP
aba

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
had thought about that but the tank is in between the internal and external floors of the van and not that easy to get to.
i have access to one of the inspection holes but cant get to the outsides of the tank.
which is why i was thinking of T'ing in to the existing pump outlet as i can get to the cold water manifold.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I would have thought the easiest way if you can get at the side of your water tank is to drill a suitable hole near the top and fit an ordinary ball valve to it (about £5). Connect your mains water hose to this and this will then automatically refill your tank whenever you use some water. It won't put any extra pressure on the plumbing and will work with a pressurised or microswitch system.

What is there to stop the water from continuously filling the tank and dumping the water out via the overflow?

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
He said it would fill automatically when you use some water, no mention of having to keep turning the valve on and off.

OP
OP
aba

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
it would then work like your household toilet cistern.
fill to a pre determined level then shut off.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Sorry for the lack of clarity about my cock and ball story. I am not a plumber so may have used the wrong word, but what I meant was like in a WC cistern, fills it up when water level goes down and then shuts off.

It may be possible to get one that can be top mounted.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Been down this road and it's simpler just to fill the tank as required..

Had ours on mains while working at the pub and the top of a plastic mixer tap blew off in the kitchen.. what a mess.. replaced same with a proper brass domestic one..

The so called pressure reducers sold by RV shops reduce the flow to almost a trickle.. I say 'so called' as they are not pressure regulators, but flow reducers.. not worth a light.. stay well clear of them.

If you go the city water way you need to source and fit a proper pressure regulator, an isolating valve for the pump and a check valve.. Olley has done this, he could tell you where he bought the pressure regulator..

Personally I don't think it's worth it.. easier just to fill the tank each day .. Also, come winter (if you are still wardens) the fresh hose will freeze if left out.. then you need a flat hose you can coil up and store out of the cold.. if it's really cold the site tap will probably freeze.. then you need a watering can and long legs ... the joys of winter motorhoming.. :roflmto:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Well, just to add the 'other' side, we've used our city water a few times, with a pressure reducer widget and it was great, pressure spot on and thankfully, reading through some of these posts, no issues. Very odd though, you get used to the pump running when you turn on a tap or flush the loo and obviously no pump, it's, well like magic:ROFLMAO:

I do see the alarmist point of view though, and VERY good food for thought folks:thumb:

We've been at this game 6 years and are only just starting to remember to turn the pump off when we leave the 'van:Doh:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I always turn ours off

Well, just to add the 'other' side, we've used our city water a few times, with a pressure reducer widget and it was great, pressure spot on and thankfully, reading through some of these posts, no issues. Very odd though, you get used to the pump running when you turn on a tap or flush the loo and obviously no pump, it's, well like magic:ROFLMAO:

I do see the alarmist point of view though, and VERY good food for thought folks:thumb:

We've been at this game 6 years and are only just starting to remember to turn the pump off when we leave the 'van:Doh:

I am always nagging Sue to turn the pump switch off when not in use... if you turn it off then no water can be pumped out in to the RV if a pipe came away.

When we re-commissioned the van last year I turned on the pump to pressurise all the pipes and soon heard the tell tale pump noise indicating it was pumping water when all the taps were off.. it was the outside shower unit had frozen.. this year I remembered to drain the out side shower down, so with luck tis year it will all be OK.. like Simon I do have a device I got from Darren of RV Spares ...blue thing that reduces city water down to save a problem in the RV due to pressure... Did have an issue with the first one he supplied and yes it does reduce the flow to much.

So now we do not use it.. just fill the tanks with a hose.

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back