Habitation check - essential? (1 Viewer)

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Just how important is an annual habitation check? (I'm assuming it's not actually a legal requirement, perhaps that should be the first question?)

I know that one shouldn't penny-pinch when it comes to safety, and as far as I'm aware the safety aspect is an important element of the habitation check - but I'm also aware that my wallet has taken a hell of a beating recently and I could do without the expense - so would I (in your valued opinion) be being foolish if I decided to make it a bi-annual check instead of annual? The MH in question is an '02 reg., low mileage, in excellent condition and relatively little used (13,500 miles) It sailed through its recent MOT with virtually nothing required other than some easing of the handbrake linkage as it was sticking on a little - not sure if this has any relevance to my question, but it demonstrates at least that it's been well cared for.

Thoughts and opinions welcome as always.

Mike

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Habitation check is not a legal requirement. Rather like an MOT it only shows things were OK on the day of the test, it could still break down the day after.

I admit to having a habitation check less than annually, though a gas safety check is a good idea. A lot of the other habitation checks are things you'd look at anyway.

Upvote 0

BionicPixie

Free Member
Aug 15, 2009
non
Funster No
MH
Exp
habitation check ... not any more!

my gas fridge would not ignite so I took it to another dealer (closer to me) and had a fridge check and service .... a very embarassed bloke came and said that if I was happy they would 'fix' the fridge exhaust and make it safe and legal. Puzzled I wondered why ... it turned out that I had one make fridge (Dometic) and another make vent (Thetford) and the fridge was actually venting into the van and had been since I bought it in 2008 ('06 plate).

I am glad that my father's van also regularly habitation checked had a fridge problem when he was told it would need replacing but it still worked but not very well and he went home to try it again and make a decision. Oh yes it worked so well after that check that if he had not been stood by his motorhome he would have lost it as flames started to come out of his fridge vent. He took it to his own dealer (the one I took mine to on his recommendation) and they said that the fridge burner jet was missing. His fridge serviced, burner replaced, vent cover replaced and all was ok. The burner could not have been 'missing' for long as they had the van for some years and it is well travelled - draw your own conclusions as we have!

Looked at small print on habitation check reports and there it said on both .... FRIDGE SERVICE NOT INCLUDED UNLESS SPECIFICALLY REQUESTED. That is from two different dealers!

Given that there seemed to be an increase in fridge fires last summer (allegedly) I would suggest that the gas and fridge systems are checked and serviced and the burners on fridges replaced routinely. But the rest of the habitation check .... it would seem to be if you van is out of warranty save the money and repair as necessary! If it forms part of your warranty to have the check carried out then you must or invalidate.

I have not named the three dealers involved .... but we go somewhere near the M5 for our gas services as they were honest, upfront and made affordable solutions to dangerous problems and did not just say you need a new fridge unit.

So parents lucky to still have their motorhome and the side of their house intact; and Cheyne Me and Chuckles are lucky not to have been poisoned! Our general advice is GET YOUR FRIDGE CHECKED AND SERVICED ... SPECIFICALLY and at a reputable service point!!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I know it is a stupid attitude and never follow my advice...

but I have never had a "habitation" check in over 40 years of motorhoming...

Indeed I had never heard of such a thing until I signed up to this website...

JJ :Cool:

PS. But if you smell gas turn it off at the bottle...

Upvote 0

C.L.S

Trader - Service & Repairs
Jul 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not long enough
I have mine serviced every year without fail.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: But I am biased ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I have had mine done by C.L.S the last three years, it's not just the gas and lecky that needs checking, Mark (CLS) has picked up damp twice and got it sorted through Swifts for me. and without a hab check the warrenty would have been viod.

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Purchased motorhome 1year ago from Johns Cross Motorhomes get 5years habitation checks included, can't be bad.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
There was a mega thread on this last week, just in case folk don't feel like repeating themselves so soon.

My apologies for covering old ground, I've been too busy to get on much recently.

I'll have a good peruse of the prior thread, thanks. :Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
That's just not good enough. The only excuse for not keeping up to speed here is death and then we need to see a certified copy of the death certificate.

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: Not another certificate!! Where will I get that from!!

My mate Bob is a fully qualified layabout and he says he is willing to certify that I'm lazy and incompetent - will that do?

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Upvote 0

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
I am pedantic about habitation checks....

the motorhome just aint getting used enuff and is watertight and annoyingly there is nothing much to do on it...oh I do wish id bought a banger so I could mess about with it..

anyway...my habitation check is as follows....

check kitchen light works....(this is the house you understand)..as needed to find where fridge s...check fridge is stocked with beer.

Have safety standby bottle opener next to fridge or attached to fridge on a fridge magnet.....

in all my years as a habitation checker this is the most relevant tip I can give.....why..

imagine a power cut...its 9pm....the beer is starting to go from chilled to warm unless you drink it all quickly...what do ya need....bottle opener...

simples...

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am pedantic about habitation checks....

the motorhome just aint getting used enuff and is watertight and annoyingly there is nothing much to do on it...oh I do wish id bought a banger so I could mess about with it..

anyway...my habitation check is as follows....

check kitchen light works....(this is the house you understand)..as needed to find where fridge s...check fridge is stocked with beer.

[HI]Have safety standby bottle opener next to fridge or attached to fridge on a fridge magnet.....[/HI]

in all my years as a habitation checker this is the most relevant tip I can give.....why..

imagine a power cut...its 9pm....the beer is starting to go from chilled to warm unless you drink it all quickly...what do ya need....bottle opener...

You are in desperate need a MotorHome Fun Magnetised Bottle Opener... you should cross the palm of our Blessed Leader (may his name be praised) and he will sort it I am sure...

or...

Bring Pies to Portugal and I will do a deal... I have a spare one...:winky:

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I know it is a stupid attitude and never follow my advice...
but I have never had a "habitation" check in over 40 years of motorhoming...
Indeed I had never heard of such a thing until I signed up to this website...
PS. But if you smell gas turn it off at the bottle...

The only habitation check JJ carries out is to check his cupboard is full of FB pies. :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back