Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I need to change the tyres on my 3.5t Hymer. The present 'Michelin XC Camping' were made in Feb 98, have done 55,000 miles and look as good as new.::bigsmile: But I do think I'm pushing my luck:ROFLMAO:

Michelins are expensive, what would you recommend as a suitable replacement at 215/70/15

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Thirteen years, 55000 miles, still looking like new? I'd recommend more Michelins.
Geoff.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
sounds good to me.... i had to change the front 2 Conti Vanco camper tyres on my ex CI Carioca 2008 after 8000 miles ( apparently common on overcab models ) not best pleased withthat at the time.:Angry:

and no i wernt doin wheelies up the M4:Eeek:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I need to change the tyres on my 3.5t Hymer. The present 'Michelin XC Camping' were made in Feb 98, have done 55,000 miles and look as good as new.::bigsmile: But I do think I'm pushing my luck:ROFLMAO:

Michelins are expensive, what would you recommend as a suitable replacement at 215/70/15

I found this site, its a lot cheaper that UK prices, I have not used it yet but will do in the summer the size is a little wider that the original but Michelin tell me its ok so long as both sides of the axil are the same.

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/michelin-agilis-camping-225-70-r15-112-q

I forgot to add that they have a 80 pound/sq in max pressure which is what I need.

Doug...

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Give Brian a call Jim, you will find other tyres will last that amount of time and more for less money, but get them checked I have known tyres last many years and others only five, depends how it was stored prior to you owning it.

Must admit that is good for mitchies not my favourite tyre.

All the best Rick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thirteen years, 55000 miles, still looking like new? I'd recommend more Michelins.
Geoff.

:thumb:Absolutly right............if the new ones last even the recommended 5-7 years (thirteen years is a bit ott) any difference in price over cheaper ones will average out to peanuts.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Give Brian a call Jim, you will find other tyres will last that amount of time and more for less money, but get them checked I have known tyres last many years and others only five, depends how it was stored prior to you owning it.

Must admit that is good for mitchies not my favourite tyre.

All the best Rick

I gave Brian a call this evening, he is looking to see what he can find for me tomorrow. I'm just interested to see what the Funsters use/recommend.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
:thumb:Absolutly right............if the new ones last even the recommended 5-7 years (thirteen years is a bit ott) any difference in price over cheaper ones will average out to peanuts.

I can't be sure what the tyres have done really. They are date coded 298 and as the motorhome is registered 99 I'm just assuming they have always been on it.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
That would make more sense for the condition of them but I thought that since 2000 it was the 4 digits not 3

Not sure to be honest
you are right jim! you tyres are feb 98,after 2000 its a 4 digit code so 2908 would be the code for week 29 2008:thumb:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Personally I swear by Michelin tyres on my cars, have Continental on van. Michelin are not cheap but remember that the tyres are the only thing between you and the road. Never compromise on tyres is my motto.:thumb:

I found Costco to be miles cheaper than mainstream tyre companies and their tyre bays looked cleaner than some hospitals Ive visited:ROFLMAO:

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
mine had khumo tyres 215/70/15 on it when i bought it dated 0303, looked like brand new. I had her over the pit before we set off on holiday last summer. Rear offside blew out coming up through france, made a right mess of the floor and shower tray, and side skirt
I had to buy a new rim + tyre (michelin).when i got home and checked the rest of the tyres,the n/s rear had 3 big eggs on the inside near the rim edge and the front 2 were starting to show signs of side wall damage.
my tyre man could'nt get any michelins for love nor money.
I ended up putting continentals on her about £90 each.
They have been ok so far.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
We have Kumho 857# tyres fitted Nov 2010 to the front and last week fitted two to the rear

Kumho recommend max 69 psi, ours are 60psi front, 65 psi rear, our van is 3850kg G.V.W. but norm run 3500kg depending how much Magners is on board :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

After fitting the 2 front we went to Zahora Spain, and then skiing to the alps last year followed by 2 further trips to france in the summer with no problems to date and dont expect any problems in the future either :thumb::thumb:

Since fitting the front tyres we have done 10,000 miles

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I found this site, its a lot cheaper that UK prices, I have not used it yet but will do in the summer the size is a little wider that the original but Michelin tell me its ok so long as both sides of the axil are the same.

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/michelin-agilis-camping-225-70-r15-112-q

I forgot to add that they have a 80 pound/sq in max pressure which is what I need.

Doug...

Doug, They are the tyres Michelin Agilis Camping fitted to my motorhome from new last year at the same pressure,,,,may even be he same size....Brill tyres done 14000km still just like new:thumb: not showing any wear at all:thumb:

Mel

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
The Continental tyres are always popular, generally we have not been able to get them in the size to fit our van (this and the last one) wheels. Toyo tyres are what we have used on lots of vehicles and been very pleased with. You need to buy tyres with the correct or better load index as well as the obvious correct size. Speed index too but probably not applicable unless the Hymer has something unusual under the bonnet :ROFLMAO:
We also buy tyres that have M&S (or a snowflake) stamped on them, no not because they are 'Not just any tyre, but an M&S tyre' ::bigsmile: but because they are designed for better grip in mud and snow. If you end up in Germany in the winter you must have either winter or M&S tyres fitted. If you do not and you are caught you will be fined. Double if you cause an obstruction.
As for buying tyres we have often used http://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk you order your tyres online, choose a fitting centre, which will be National Tyres and Autocare, and date for fitting and then pay. The tyres are delivered to them and fitting etc is all included in the price. There are other companies such as blackcircles.com and etyres.co.uk that do the same sort of thing. We have always found the best deals online. The last time I organised tyres for my daughter's car, I phoned tyre depots too and was advised by one to use the website (tyre-shopper, had I heard of it?) as he could not quote cheaper for the particular tyres I wanted. They do some good deals of the day too.
Hope that helps, Jane :Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
No-one mentioned Avons ?

Or don't they do that size.

I assume 55K miles was tongue in cheek. Our Michelins lasted 30K miles and 7 years and had to be replaced on wear grounds. Walls were still fine.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I need to change the tyres on my 3.5t Hymer. The present 'Michelin XC Camping' were made in Feb 98, have done 55,000 miles and look as good as new.::bigsmile: .................

Was the previous owner a Jock ? :roflmto:

As you know I bought a caravan . .. when I called the seller and asked about the tyres he said .." no probs .. look good as new mate " ..

Got home and inspected... dated 1998 .. originals .. and YES I am changing them.. but it just goes to show how many potential blow outs are just waiting to happen..

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Fitting new tyres

This is a reminder NOT to put new tyres on your rear axle.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaXXrKFJctU&feature=related"]Watch this Michelin Safety Video to see why[/ame]

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I think you pay your money and take your chance. I had a brand new (less than a week old) Michelin Camping Tyre blow out on me on the motorway.

It was on the rear axle and so the second tyre blew as well.

Now I will buy any Light Truck Tyre that suits my wallet.

Jim
:Smile:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This is a reminder NOT to put new tyres on your rear axle.

Looks a load of cobblers to me and obviously staged for camera.

If the rear comes round, oversteer, it's easy and automatic to correct it.

If you lose the front, understeer, it's deep poo time.

But it's not that easy, front wheel drive and read wheel drive will greatly affect what happens. The white BMW is RWD and you can kick the rear out at will with the throttle. On the blue car which I think is FWD a touch on the handbrake or lift off mid corner will produce just what they show.

FAKED.

On our FWD MH I keep the best tyres on the front because they wear out twice as fast.

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
I need four for our motorhome and was looking at the Avon AV9 seemed a good price compared to the Michelin.

I sent an email to Avon asking if they would be suitable for a motorhome just for my peace of mind and got the followin reply.

With regards to your email, Cooper/Avon Tyres do not produce a specific Motorhome tyre and whilst what you purpose falls into a grey area of tyre legislation, in as much as there appears to be no law preventing a tyre like the Avon AV9 (designed specifically for light commercial van delivery usage) being used, the tyre pressures for the Avon tyres would be much less than for the original tyres fitted. As to what influence this may have on the handling characteristics of the vehicle is unknown as we have had no call to test the AV9 under these circumstances as the vehicle manufacturers specify "CP" or "Camping " tyres and therefore we have not submitted tyres to them for approval.
Please note that whilst investigating this matter it has become apparent the leading vehicle insurance companies would view the change from Specific Motorhome tyres to a general commercial delivery tyre as being a "modification" and would therefore require notification prior to their fitment for their approval, as any claim with regards to anything associated to the tyres could/would invalidated their insurance cover.

Best Regards.
Ken Tucker.
Customer Service Manager.
Cooper Tire & Rubber Company Europe Ltd.
Tel: 44(0)1225 357750.
Fax: 44(0)1225 791921.
E-Mail: ktucker@coopertire.com.
ng at the avon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread