What do I need to know about GAS? (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Hopefully purchasing a MH soon, not really given any thought to gas, I think they all come with space for 2 gas bottles for heating/cooking, these can be changed as and when required in the UK but what about abroad?

In the UK, is it best to have a certain type of bottle, or are they all interchangeable?

Also, I know vehicles can be converted to run on gas, not come across any converted MH`s while searching, is that because they can`t be run on gas, or is it too expensive?

If it can be done, is it worth considering?

thanks

Steve

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
hi .. youve picked a huge subject :Eeek: which can go down many avenues and " black holes"!:cry:

suggest you start with the good old exchange bottles uk type Propane is best for thye winter time it has a lower operating temp.

while your getting used too and to grips with your new toy trawl the internet for refillable systems and you will find a shed load of info.:thumb:

as to EU touring really depends how long and what time of year you go for. we did a month in june and used very little gas ( less than a 6kg bottle ).

hope this helps:thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
you pays your money and takes your choice.
there are refillable types Gaslow and Alugas being the main players but its best to have the refill point on the outside of the gas locker these are filled at the petrol stations using the LPG pumps.

then there is the fixed tank option which as above but gives the added bonus of emptying the gas locker and gives more gas capacity and normally fitted under the van.

or the good old calor way which is probably the most expensive but also the most convenient way of getting gas as you don't have to take the motorhome anywhere to get hold of it.

there are various adapters available for other makes of gas bottle when abroad and if you ask around on here there are some people that will sell you their old empty foreign bottles.

i went with a single Gaslow refillable and kept the Calor option although in hind sight the gaslow was a bit of a waste because we haven't toured enough to warrant the expense.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun. Most motorhomes are diesel and not easily or usually converted to gas. Plenty of gas guzzling American RV's have been converted to gas.
Do note an LPG powered vehicle is NOT allowed to use the chanel tunnel. So would be a big no no for me.
As to the gas itself I prefer propane, it will not freeze in the winter, you can get refill adapters. Or you could get more expencive Gaslow option and refill most places. Failing that make sure you have room for sufficient gas for the max time you are likely to be abroad 2 x 13kg bottle will last a couple of months if you go easy with it.
The third option is to have a fixed gas tank underslung and carry an assorment of adapters to fill abroad. All of the refill options will be for propane only.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> What do I need to know about GAS?

Search on "Gaslow" it'll keep you going for days.

Dec 6, 2011
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Ducato Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
Hopefully purchasing a MH soon, not really given any thought to gas, I think they all come with space for 2 gas bottles for heating/cooking, these can be changed as and when required in the UK but what about abroad?

In the UK, is it best to have a certain type of bottle, or are they all interchangeable?

Also, I know vehicles can be converted to run on gas, not come across any converted MH`s while searching, is that because they can`t be run on gas, or is it too expensive?

thanks

Steve

Most MH's are Diesel and I dont think they can be economically converted as you need a spark to ignight the gas and Diesels do not have spark plugs.

Mike

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Most MH's are Diesel and I dont think they can be economically converted as you need a spark to ignight the gas and Diesels do not have spark plugs.

Mike
not necessarily true Mike....

the 'ignition' for a converted diesel engine is the diesel itself, which ignites the gas as the diesel itself ignites.
LPG is a secondary 'booster' fuel in a similar way to nitro in a petrol engine.

the engines can be converted to spark ignition but then wont run on diesel due to the far lower compression ratio needed for petrol, so become very heavy petrol engines

Dec 6, 2011
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Ducato Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
not necessarily true Mike....

the 'ignition' for a converted diesel engine is the diesel itself, which ignites the gas as the diesel itself ignites.
LPG is a secondary 'booster' fuel in a similar way to nitro in a petrol engine.

the engines can be converted to spark ignition but then wont run on diesel due to the far lower compression ratio needed for petrol, so become very heavy petrol engines

Thanks for the update pappajohn I didnt know this was available for diesels now :Doh: Mike

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life

thanks

Steve

As a suggestion for cooking, I carry an induction hob and if on an electric plug in site use only that to cook on. I hardly use any gas. Just a thought as you have already paid for leccy in your site fee unless its metered.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back