Patroy

Free Member
Jan 18, 2012
Crewkerne
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
:Smile: We have sorted out our finances and have looked at various motorhomes and decided on the layout that suits us best. Am I right in thinking that I need the following annually - storage, MOT, habitation MOT, service, insurance, breakdown insurance, road fund licence? Any advice would be appreciated.

mikkidee

Free Member
Aug 1, 2010
Malton,North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since June 08
Hi patroy, yeah that's about the top and bottom of it, well for starters anyway. And then it all starts on the inside and out side of the van. Mmm shall we get this..... ohh how about this, and that. Just make sure you leave yourself enough room to get in the motorhome:ROFLMAO:

Good luck with your search for a motorhome and have fun. Don't forget, tomorrow is a brand new day.
Mike::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
and dont forget about your licence entitlement, if you passed your test after 97 you are limited to a vehicle of no more than 3500kg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Patroy

Free Member
Jan 18, 2012
Crewkerne
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
and dont forget about your licence entitlement, if you passed your test after 97 you are limited to a vehicle of no more than 3500kg

No problems with that lol, have had to wait until children have finished education and have settled with their own families. :roflmto:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Patroy

Free Member
Jan 18, 2012
Crewkerne
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hi patroy, yeah that's about the top and bottom of it, well for starters anyway. And then it all starts on the inside and out side of the van. Mmm shall we get this..... ohh how about this, and that. Just make sure you leave yourself enough room to get in the motorhome:ROFLMAO:

Good luck with your search for a motorhome and have fun. Don't forget, tomorrow is a brand new day.
Mike::bigsmile:

Brilliant, thanks, sounds as though I need a pair of reins for the wife though!! How much is the road fund licence and MOT please.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Brilliant, thanks, sounds as though I need a pair of reins for the wife though!! How much is the road fund licence and MOT please.
MOT is the same as a car, known as a class IV......even for large, 12 ton, american motorhomes.
only restriction with the big 'uns is finding a garage with the ability to MOT.

road tax will depend on year etc but should be similar to a car, £200+ ish

tax, insurance and MOT = compulsory (unless the M/H is off road and under a sorn declaration)

habitation check, service and breakdown cover optional but recommended.

storage.....only if you cant keep it at home...drive, lawn etc.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Patroy

Free Member
Jan 18, 2012
Crewkerne
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
MOT is the same as a car, known as a class IV......even for large, 12 ton, american motorhomes.
only restriction with the big 'uns is finding a garage with the ability to MOT.

road tax will depend on year etc but should be similar to a car, £200+ ish

tax, insurance and MOT = compulsory (unless the M/H is off road and under a sorn declaration)

habitation check, service and breakdown cover optional but recommended.

storage.....only if you cant keep it at home...drive, lawn etc.

Cheers for this info, off to Wellington on Friday to look at more and at some possible storage.

Upvote 0

mikkidee

Free Member
Aug 1, 2010
Malton,North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since June 08
Hi patroy, its me that needs the raynes on, especially when we go to the shows, you just want to buy everything. The road tax for our van is £165 thats on the merc 416 chassis @ 4.6 tons and 2.7 engine, not sure if that lot matters, but at least I've got to brag about my merc base:ROFLMAO: Very sought after apparently. Check out the Easter rally at Chester, good for meeting a few folk. It's our first time::bigsmile:
Mike:Smile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back