Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Our motorhome has recently been off the road due to some nice person knocking off the rear bumper (grrr...don't get me started). It has been in the hands of a local bodyshop who I would certainly not recommend to anyone who is used to customer service (little things like not returning phone calls when they said they would). Today I went to collect it and it looked great with its shiny new bumper and new nearside light fitting.

On arrival home, I thought there was something wrong and realised that both light clusters had red lights, even though the nearside one should have a reversing light. When I checked, yes I have a red reversing light.

My question is (in a longwinded way) is this an MOT failure? If no, can I leave it as is or should I remove the bulb? I am trying to avoid having to take it back for further messing about.

Phil

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
As far as I am aware reversing lights are not a legal requirement and therefore do not come under M.O.T standards. I would still return to have the correct lense fitted as its what you paid for.

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
It's not tested on an MOT, however, a picky tester may fail it if he notices it as it's a red light pointing the wrong direction if you know what I mean.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
just wire it to the other fog lamp and fit a reversing lamp in the middle under the bumper.
then if you cross the water you got a fog lamp on the correct side.:thumb:

been thinking of doing the same with mine as the reversing light glares on the camera and makes it hard to see whats actually behind the van.

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
You'll probably find that your Chausson (ours has) has connectors behind the lamp to be able to have the reversing light and fog light on either side. In other words, each side has a connector for the fog light and each side has a connector for the reversing light.

This will be down to making it easier for left or right hand drive. Therefore, if you do go down the route of adding a reversing light, then it's easy to wire up both as a fog.

OP
OP
philw111

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Amazingly enough, the manager has just rung to check everything is OK (maybe he is a reader of this forum:Smile:) so I told him. There was a bit of a stunned silence - I imagine the fitter who "checked" the lights were working might have a bit of explaining to do. Anyway he is sourcing a replacement - at least it will be a while-you-wait repair this time.

Thanks for the replies.

Phil

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Our motorhome has recently been off the road due to some nice person knocking off the rear bumper (grrr...don't get me started). It has been in the hands of a local bodyshop who I would certainly not recommend to anyone who is used to customer service (little things like not returning phone calls when they said they would). Today I went to collect it and it looked great with its shiny new bumper and new nearside light fitting.

On arrival home, I thought there was something wrong and realised that both light clusters had red lights, even though the nearside one should have a reversing light. When I checked, yes I have a red reversing light.

My question is (in a longwinded way) is this an MOT failure? If no, can I leave it as is or should I remove the bulb? I am trying to avoid having to take it back for further messing about.

Phil
Do notmess about take it back and get them to fit the correct lens unit you paid for it to be right so get it put right :thumb::thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think this answers your question.....

MOT testers check list for lights

MOT Test of Lights
Lights: MOT Test Checks Description

The headlamps are checked for alignment with a Beam Setter. After first aligning the equipment with the vehicle, the left and right headlamp beams are checked to ensure they are correctly set so as not to dazzle other road users.

All required lights are checked for:

operation
condition
security

Side lights and headlamps

are the correct type and colour
dip and aim.

Stop lights, indicators and hazard lights*

do not interfere with each other in operation
driver's tell-tale works with respect to indicators, or there is an audible warning system.

Rear Fog lamps**

must be fitted to the centre or offside of the vehicle
tell-tale must work
must not be affected by other lamps and not be obscured
must be red.

Number plate lamps

All lamps fitted must be working.

Rear reflectors

There must be two red reflectors fitted reasonably symmetrically, securely attached and not obscured.

* Must be fitted to all vehicles first used on or after 1st April 1986, but if fitted, must be Tested.
** Must be fitted to all vehicles first used on or after 1st April 1980.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I think this answers your question.....

MOT testers check list for lights

MOT Test of Lights
Lights: MOT Test Checks Description

The headlamps are checked for alignment with a Beam Setter. After first aligning the equipment with the vehicle, the left and right headlamp beams are checked to ensure they are correctly set so as not to dazzle other road users.

All required lights are checked for:

operation
condition
security

Side lights and headlamps

dip and aim.

Stop lights, indicators and hazard lights*

do not interfere with each other in operation
driver's tell-tale works with respect to indicators, or there is an audible warning system.

Rear Fog lamps**

must be fitted to the centre or offside of the vehicle
tell-tale must work
must not be affected by other lamps and not be obscured
must be red.

Number plate lamps

All lamps fitted must be working.

Rear reflectors

There must be two red reflectors fitted reasonably symmetrically, securely attached and not obscured.

* Must be fitted to all vehicles first used on or after 1st April 1986, but if fitted, must be Tested.
** Must be fitted to all vehicles first used on or after 1st April 1980.

I assume mine are legal as it's passed some MOTs. Rear fog lights on both sides and reversing lights likewise.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back