Feb 19, 2011
swansea
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
im a newbie
Hello

I have shortlisted 2 motorhomes at my local dealer both fit my needs in terms of layout etc but not sure which to plump for. Going to do a test drive. But from everyones experience which would you choose if you had the choice of these two?

Swift Escape 686 2009 4700 miles on the clock - 2.2 td
Eldis Autoquest 130 2009 4000 miles on the clock - 2.2 td

We are hoping to make our decision soon so any help from those more experienced would be wonderful.

Mallymoo

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
How much is each being sold for?

OP
OP
M

mallymoo

Free Member
Feb 19, 2011
swansea
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
im a newbie
Good point

Swift Escape 686 2009 4700 miles on the clock - 2.2 td £30,995
Eldis Autoquest 130 2009 4000 miles on the clock - 2.2 td £28995

:RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
just had a scoot on the interweb and come up with 1 difference that may swing it for you.

apparently swift don't recommend a tow bar fitting but Eldis has a tow bar in the optional extras.

so if you wish to either tow a car or a trailer then the Eldis is the one to have
if not wishing to tow anything then back to your original dilemma.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hello

I have shortlisted 2 motorhomes at my local dealer both fit my needs in terms of layout etc but not sure which to plump for. Going to do a test drive. But from everyones experience which would you choose if you had the choice of these two?

Swift Escape 686 2009 4700 miles on the clock - 2.2 td
Eldis Autoquest 130 2009 4000 miles on the clock - 2.2 td

We are hoping to make our decision soon so any help from those more experienced would be wonderful.

Mallymoo

I have ownd a Swift 630G for 7 years and I would never have another Swift as the build quality on mine is rubbish, I would change it but cant afford it.

Doug...

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
just found this.
Broken Link Removed

worth reading

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have ownd a Swift 630G for 7 years and I would never have another Swift as the build quality on mine is rubbish, I would change it but cant afford it.

Doug...

That sounds good advice.

From what I saw when I was looking I would go for the Eldis.

For the sort of money though perhaps you should broaden your search for some of the older Europen motors?

OP
OP
M

mallymoo

Free Member
Feb 19, 2011
swansea
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
im a newbie
Thanks everyone. Certainly food for thought.hmm think there is just too much
Choice out there!
The salesman suggested the eldis but not sure if that was because it was
Better quality or keen to move that one

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Thanks everyone. Certainly food for thought.hmm think there is just too much
Choice out there!
The salesman suggested the eldis but not sure if that was because it was
Better quality or keen to move that one

As a starting point, never believe a salesman, they only want your money.

Doug...

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
IMO If either of them are winterised and have diesel heating , go for that one :thumb:
If not keep looking.

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
:Eeek::Eeek: well for me ive tryed british auto trail ,kontiki ,and a swift , i wont wast the money again ?? like ive said the germans rely on people saying their good, some are ,,but not many ? try french ie,,, pilot , rapido ,.... lots of good ones out there and good for the price :thumb::thumb: if you go for rapid /pilot some were built with solar pannel fited as standard ?? a left hooker will be cheaper, even cheper if you go to france and buy , you can at the moment get a £45,000 m/h for £30,000 in france ?? at the dealers in berk or rouen and tours,all pilot/rapidio dealers,, and you can beat them down in price a lot ??. i saw a english man get a new rapido,not registerd worth £76,000 for £61,000 6 days ago and full warnty ,and he can use any dealer for the vech ???? :thumb::thumb: p/s even in the uk....

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
I started with a Swift but now really appreciate the difference in design and build quality of my Knaus. As a general rule I would advise going for a slightly older but better built and higher spec.m/h.
IMHO it will last you longer and give you more pleasure in the long run.I would look at some Burstner/Geist/Knaus vans to see the difference.:thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have the elddis 130 and although we love it and find it great value for money i think what Bev suggest about winterised van is good advice if using all year. If you like the elddis though but want rear lounge also why not have a look at the 180.
Good luck

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The so called quality of the SWIFT is supposed to be the better van.
Not getting into any augments but the Eldiss is a so called entry level van and Swift a mid range van ===== Have a look at price new and then 3 yrs older than you have priced up,that should give you an idea as to which holds value best :thumb: I don't know the prices of both new but at this time of year see what deals can be had on new vans :thumb: they sometimes have last yrs models (new) at big discounts
terry
edit -just had a quick look and the Swift is 38k new with the Eldiss at 33k so with a good discount you would not be far off a new Eldiss

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I dont think the eldiss has blow air heating only heat at the heater .. which if i am correct is not ideal.:Eeek:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We have an Elddis Autoquest 180 which is just about a year old now.

It is a 6-berth which we bought new and it had the "Lux Pack", this includes the large Heki rooflight, "blown-air heating" which comes from
both the fire and the vents around the van. We also have this blown-air heating in the shower room/toilet..........which is a Godsend in the colder weather! :thumb: The omni-step which is fully automatic.

We were very impressed with the spec given the price at new. Friends have also been very impressed with the finish of the interior when they saw it.

Yes, we realise that it's not "winterised", but are using ours all year round and it's easy enough to drain down the system when required.

All in all, we're really happy with ours, loads of space for just the two of us. Whilst it's a 6-berth, we probably won't have other adults staying overnight with us. :Blush: However, in the years to come...........maybe grandchildren:Doh::roflmto:

Good luck with your search!:Smile:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I dont think the eldiss has blow air heating only heat at the heater .. which if i am correct is not ideal.:Eeek:

Thankfully we have "blown-air heating" all around the van, from the heater and the vents, this includes the shower room as well, in the Eldidis Autoquest 180, but ours is only a year old

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Have a look at this site, they do a Prestige model with a tremendous amount of useful extras included, there is currently a 2012 Autoquest 130 in stock, I got a 120 last year with Wind out awning, electric step, wood dash kit, blown air, large heiki roof chrome hub caps, cycle rack, reversing camera, external access to underbed storage and upgraded upholstery, well worth a look.

http://www.vehicles4leisure.co.uk/

Enjoy_Yourself

Free Member
Jul 1, 2010
Pontypool, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have to say that I would agree with the previous posters who have advised you to go for a slightly older van from "high end" manufacturer. The shortcomings of the Elddis and Swift will become all too obvious if you want to do some serious travelling and trading these in will prove to be very costly.

Older vehicles will still only have small mileage for a commercial vehicle, but if you can find a van that has been looked after you are better off opting for the better build quality.

Wish somebody had given me this advice two years ago!

kelpbeds

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2006
Have a look at Chausson. I bought one 59 reg for same sort of money am very happy with build quality and value for money.

OP
OP
M

mallymoo

Free Member
Feb 19, 2011
swansea
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
im a newbie
thanks so much for the fantastic response, some really very useful advice and will certainly be taking some up.

I think we have decided on an eldis though as we really like it and the layout. i have put a separate post in to see if they are offering me a good deal or not

best wishes and thanks again

mallymoo :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back