What accessories in with the deal??? (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Hopefully purchasing our first MH in the next few weeks, probably a Swift Kon-tiki tag or Auto Trail chieftan tag for around £45k.

Have heard it mentioned that as well as a reduction on window price (hopefully), we may also be able to get accessories supplied/fitted in the deal. Not really expecting both, but who knows.

As far as we know, we will be staying on camp sites mostly both in the UK and maybe abroad.

Anyway, having never had a MH before and understanding that everyone has different needs/wants, what are the accessories you would want on your MH and why? If you know how much they should cost (ball park) that would also be useful.

It may be that our best strategy might be not to push for a discount on the purchase price but to get some accessories included.

Thanks

Steve

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
the one thing they [HI]have[/HI] to supply is a hook up lead so don't accept that as a gift.

anything else is a bonus.
get them to throw in some bog chemicals.
try for a bottle of gas ( although i doubt it )
maybe some crockery, drinking glasses, sleeping bags.
just try to see what you can get.

Philb

Free Member
Aug 3, 2011
Carmarthen Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We didnt get a hook up lead but did get,

Tv and aerial fitted
Fiamma 3 bike rack fitted
4m awning fitted

This was to seal the deal after a price reduction last September.

Hth

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Think about what you do when on Holiday and adapt the vehicle to suit, so if you cycle, try and get a cycle rack fitted. Think about some form of Entertainment system (TV, Stereo, DVD Player)

We got a new:

Gas Bottle,
New E.H.U.Lead,
Full Vehicle Service
Replacement Shower Tray.

(Cycle Rack and Air Conditioning already fitted)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We got a 4 mtr Fiamma zip store , to fasten to the awning . Levellers , outer silver screen , not a proper one. But good enough till will got a drop down one from Cleckheaton . A hook-up cable and the gas bottle , Cycle rack for 3 , and 1/2 tank of petrol . We tried for a full tank but he wouldnt budge ! Oh and a new sink as i though the original one tatty.
It was second hand though (06) in 2009 , not new. The previous owners left all the extras in for the dealer.

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks for the replies.

I assume you mean gas in the bottle, surely it has to come with the bottles, or maybe not.

I thought that if it was needed to make things work, like EHU lead, it would automatically be included. How much are they to buy?

Do I need levellers?

What is a silver outer screen?

If buying today, the one we would probably go for has a air con unit on the roof, these can only be used on EHU I would imagine, but are they any good? Assuming they are expensive, wouldn`t it be better to try and get something like that included?

On the negotiation front, for those that have managed a discount and accessories, can you remember how you went about it. Did you tell them all the things you wanted (salesman thinking he was making a killing) then talk about reducing the window price which had to include the agreed accessories or get the window price as low as you think they will go and then suggest the accessories as a way of closing the deal.

Thanks again, really useful info.

Steve

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/

Brilliant piece of kit.

Our motorhomes oven / fridge works no problems , if parked on a slope. I'm told lots dont.
If your parking on camp-site , hard standing they are usually level.
But we dont like sleeping at a wonky level too.

We dont have aircon.
But we dont go abroad in ours. ( yet , waiting for more time than just 2 weeks at a time we are tied to , got to save something till we retire , ha ha ) We fly for our main holiday.

We do have ( webasto ) diesel heating which is fantastic and ours is fully winterised. Weve had hot summers over here in it and the insulation keeps the temps down. The motorhome is cool inside. As does the silver screen on the window and thermal blinds.
Bev

frenchypilot

Free Member
May 31, 2011
France CENTRAL
Funster No
MH
class A
Exp
All of the above is sound advice & very revelant if you are using campsites with EHU hook up most of the time. I have solar panels to help with leisure battery charging whicsh is pretty essential if you ever intend camping with absolutely no hook ups what so ever. I think you will get to that stage one day . In my opinion that's what Motor Homes are all about. Good luck with what ever you decide to buy & try to get as many necessary accessories as possible, just pick from the advice given.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
extras with the deal

Hi, I would ask for a thatcham alarm class 1, plus habitation check and full service inc. cam belt change all the other bits and bobs are stuff that you can buy off e bay at a fair price or indeed at any of the many shows :thumb:

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
I had assumed that a full service and habitation check would be done as a matter of course. Obviously not but certainly worth asking for.

Also cam belt knowing how much damage they can cause, bearing that in mind, would you be overly concerned if a MHZ came without a full service history?

Thanks for all the replies, lots to think about.

Steve

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
extras

Hi, Encantador check out van thoroughly as we picked a brand new van up some years ago and it had been bumped in the car park by the salesman :Doh:as I said in my earlier post ensure service and hab checks have been done, new cam belt is very desirable but could be mileage dependable, full tank of juice and 12 months tax should be given as matter of course, If possible ask for van to put on ramps and have a good look underneath take your time when getting the handover and ask about everything :thumb:

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
All of the above is sound advice & very revelant if you are using campsites with EHU hook up most of the time. I have solar panels to help with leisure battery charging whicsh is pretty essential if you ever intend camping with absolutely no hook ups what so ever. I think you will get to that stage one day . In my opinion that's what Motor Homes are all about. Good luck with what ever you decide to buy & try to get as many necessary accessories as possible, just pick from the advice given.

Thanks Mike, I am sure if and when we get to that stage, there will be another thread asking what sort of things I should be looking for.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Thanks Mike, I am sure if and when we get to that stage, there will be another thread asking what sort of things I should be looking for.

Start with chucking the standard leisure batteries and getting some deep cell traction ones. Like Trojan.
But like you say ..... another post:winky:
B

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Start with chucking the standard leisure batteries and getting some deep cell traction ones. Like Trojan.
But like you say ..... another post:winky:
B

Isn`t that something to try and get thrown into the deal?

How do you know if it has standard ones fitted?

I don`t even know where they are normally fitted.... ::bigsmile:

frenchypilot

Free Member
May 31, 2011
France CENTRAL
Funster No
MH
class A
Exp

Hope you have taken it all onboard . By the way my name is not MIKE!!
Just for future reference.:Cool:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
I doubt you would get some thrown in. They are expensive . Ask the dealer what its got.
If like us you rarely ever have hook up , a couple of those and a good solar panel on the roof , wouldnt go a miss. http://www.trojanbattery.com/Tech-Support/TechologyLibrary/DeepCycleLeadAcid.aspx
We have the tv and all the other gadgets 3 teenagers require to charge , when we go away. Plus our diesel heating , (which as we found when we first went out in the motorhome , in minus temps over the New Year 4 years ago, ) wouldn't last a night on normal leisure batteries without hook up.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
With our 2nd hand MH (1991) we got a full habitation service which included replacement parts fot the Truma central-heating, full service which incuded new rear brake-shoes, new cambelt, 2 new tyres - very comprehensive 6 month warranty on everything, both mechanical and habitation (right down to the seal round the fridge door) - and a fancy double step thrown in as well. Oh, and a roofbox. Bike rack was already on... and 6 months tax. :thumb:

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
I got a service, a year's tax, category 1 alarm fitted and a new portapotti (which retailed at £100). Just proves that there are deals to be had, and with the number of dealers going to the wall they are desperate for sales. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back