Favourite stops to spain and onwards (1 Viewer)

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I have been trying to use the ACSI dvd to plan potential stops down though france. But stangely I cant search by sites open in the winter which is a pain.
I travel from Calais to the South West of France...Biaritz / Bayonne area
in the first week of feb.

Now I could stop on Aires..municipal sites etc....or camping sites.

I think I may want a stop halfway dont mind staying a day or so if the weather is anygood....or I might press on after a night.

When I get into Spain I will head over to Saragossa then south east to
Javea.......for a longer stay then move on as the fancy takes us.

Has anyone got favourite stops that I could note.
This is our first motorhome trip in europe.perhaps Im trying to plan too much
but it does seem quite a few sites are closed this time of year.

Suggestions ?

thanks

barry

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Just watch the weather

I have been trying to use the ACSI dvd to plan potential stops down though france. But stangely I cant search by sites open in the winter which is a pain.
I travel from Calais to the South West of France...Biaritz / Bayonne area
in the first week of feb.

Now I could stop on Aires..municipal sites etc....or camping sites.

I think I may want a stop halfway dont mind staying a day or so if the weather is anygood....or I might press on after a night.

When I get into Spain I will head over to Saragossa then south east to
Javea.......for a longer stay then move on as the fancy takes us.

Has anyone got favourite stops that I could note.
This is our first motorhome trip in europe.perhaps Im trying to plan too much
but it does seem quite a few sites are closed this time of year.

Suggestions ?

thanks

barry

Just watch the weather on the higher routes.... also a lot of Aires turn of the water in the winter.

Bob

OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Just watch the weather on the higher routes.... also a lot of Aires turn of the water in the winter.

Bob

Hi Bob

I have read a lot of the water in Aires is turned off in the winter.
But when you say the "higher routes" which ones do you mean?

I have entered Spain ( driving a car) in the north east before and the main coastal motorway seems to skirt the Pyrenees...... but if on the west if I head south between San Sebastion and Bilbao
will I still catch mountainous terrain or does it flatten out a bit ?

I suppose at that time of year there is always a chance of bad weather.

barry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi ,its winter .just pull into almost any carpark truck stop ,industrial estate .shopping center car park. no body will care . you will see the airres etc marked in most villages towns if there is one . i never use toll roads i use route nationals . rn10 is my favourite road. mind i drift across to perigeax and toulouse .then either andorra or the tunnel de veilla. in spain its much the same . think you may be suprised how easy it all is . have fun . get to the med and follow the sea . have real good trip . its a good adventure .
you are garranteed to see snow in spain . its there in november and stays there till may. but hopefully high on the mountains but the spanish plains can be covered as well. most roads are kept clear.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Avoid toll roads like the plague in south France..

We fell foul on our first trip.. One section of road just 20 miles or so long cost us more than £70 !!!!!! ANd all the bloody camp sites seem expensive too ( a couple we went to that was listed as ACSI refused the card )

We will NOT be returning to either the French or Italian Riviera !!!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The route we always take for Costa Blanca is;
Calais - rouen - Chartes - Then take the N10 all the way down to Bordeaux and on to Bayonne. As the weather has always been ok (ie not 6 foot of snow) we go via the somport tunnel and down to Zaragossa. Otherwise we would try via pampola. All toll free.

There are many aires along the N10 so not short on stopping places, Jan and Feb can be as cold as UK so we never hang about just 1 night stops and plod on next day. Dont think you will have much luck with campsites. A few aires between Chartes and Bordeaux are.
Marbou, Vendome, Montbazon, Ste Maure de Touraine, Dange st Romain, Vivonne, Chaunay, Roulett. Buy a copy of "all the aires" 3rd edition from Vicarious books all in English and a bit more up to date than some aire guides.

Water will be the issue as most taps will be turned off.

Safe trip, we hope to be ahead of you by a week or so and leave UK on 23rd ish Jan..
Benidorm here we come..

Nov 18, 2011
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2001
camp sites

Hi , I can suggest a few stops , stay clear of toll roads , pretty easy to do on that side of France.
Cleres 118 mls from Calais
Gace 202 mls " "
Laigne en Belin 276 mls from Calais / always keep to the right of Le Mans
Clere sur Layon 346 mls " "
Montreul Bellay 341 mls " "
Cavignac 518 mls " "
Biarrritz 665 mls " "

Possiblle campsite that may be open just short of Saumer ie English guy very friendly , open all year Le Serpolin 49560 Clere ser Layon Adam & Theresa Wickens 0844 2326 979 350 mls fromCalais info@loirecamping.com

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
If in any doubt why not cross Pyrenees by the Somport Tunnel at Pau and head toward Zaragoza then Javea .... a 9 km engineering marvel and Toll free.

Have a look

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABq3NDPEjCc[/ame]

Regards, Bryan

PS: If you decide on the Somport route, then at Pau you are very near Lourdes and whether religious or not it is worth a visit with a couple of ACSI sites and one (no services) aire in the town by the lorry park, less then 4/5 minute walk to town centre and 15 to the religious site.

B

lib

Free Member
Jun 22, 2011
Halifax
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We are heading down to Spain (our first trip) at begiinning of February so may bump into you (not literally I hope). ::bigsmile:

lib

Free Member
Jun 22, 2011
Halifax
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We are going in search of sun really. Going down through France to Biarritz area then on to sunny Spain. We are not very organised and are still at the planning stage. We have never ventured to Spain before so it will all be new to us.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Barry, we booked in to Camping Javea yesterday for a month, :thumb: were on pitch 87 call round , when do you expect to arrive ? We like this site because it has big pitches and not much shade, last stayed here 4 years ago. :thumb:

We got into Spain on the 18th December and had :sin::sin::sin: but they say :rain: Tuesday / Wednesday then back to sunshine. :thumb: Bob and Jane.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
If you run down the A20 towards Limoges you can call on us at Parc Verger where the water is definitely on, there are decent hot showers and some good company (yes, Funsters!).:thumb:
Then you can run on down south, either via Pau or the coast road from Bordeaux.

Wherever you go, enjoy your travel!:Smile:

Bob and Di
www.parcverger.com

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Hi beachcaster, don't give up on your ACSI dvd. I assume you have the 2012 version if so you can search for sites open in winter months. Once you have chosen the country click on 'Additional' scroll down & see a 'opening period' . Tick the box & adjust the dates required. Hope this helps:thumb:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
France to Spain

Thanks for the advice too as we plan to leave on Mon 23 Jan and head south obviously. She who drives will be checking out your routes etc tomorrow:Eeek:

Nov 18, 2011
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2001
Travel

Hi Ravenmad , hope you find it usefull , who knows we might bump into one another , look out for an oldie with a bonkers cocker spaniel , take care now. Regards Ronboyracer and Patrick.:ROFLMAO:

territo

Free Member
May 16, 2009
In motorhome or in peru
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Winter sites - France

A useful website is Broken Link Removed

I have used this site and as well as the ACSI book and had no problems finding sites. :Smile:

OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Big thanks to all who contributed to this post.
I think not only was it useful to me but to lots of others as well I'm sure

barry

lib

Free Member
Jun 22, 2011
Halifax
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks from me as well. We have had to put our trip back a couple of weeks and now set off on 20th Feb so may not bump into you all after all.

Have a good trip.:Smile:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Try the aire at Forges-les-Eaux near Rouen. Just off route and ideally situated for first stopping point on journey south.

I can vouch for this aire...nice area nice town...the cost used to be 5.60 EUROS BUT THAT WAS A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO...have fun on nyour travels..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back