boogie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
VW Gatcombe
Exp
Can anyone tell me what you have to buy to have eco friendly loo liquid (green)???

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Can anyone tell me what you have to buy to have eco friendly loo liquid (green)???

The most eco friendly solution is to use no chemicals.

We havn't used chemicals for years now and have fitted a SOG extraction system.

In the long term it saves loads of cash as well as the planet and the bother of using chemicals.:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We started using cheap bio washing liquid last year. Seems to work just as well as the expensive chemicals and as "green" as the "organic" versions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Travelbug1

Free Member
Aug 12, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 yr
The "Green" loo chemicals are supposed to be more eco friendly as they break down organic matter using enzymes as opposed to formayldahyde which is a very heavy duty chemical.
Also in Europe and some smaller sites they have different waste disposal systems which need to be chemical free although they do tend to say in their booking info if you cannot use blue loo stuff.

See below for info from another site:

The modern 'green' chemicals are bio-degradable so they break down in the environment rather than polluting it. Note that they simply work as 'pong arresters' so beware of exceeding the four day limit especially in warm weather! The raw chemical has a strong citrus type scent that some find pleasant and others dislike. Broken Link RemovedThe older non-bio chemicals are now banned in many countries and on farm sites, they shouldn't be deposited in public toilets either. Most were/are formaldehyde based and there is now evidence that this can be harmful to humans especially when the fumes are in a confined space.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I'm with GJH on this one started useing a cheap bio washing liquid after a long thread on here about it last year, find it is as equally good and much much cheaper. Worth giving it a go to see if it works for you.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
See below for info from another site:

The modern 'green' chemicals are bio-degradable so they break down in the environment rather than polluting it. Note that they simply work as 'pong arresters' so beware of exceeding the four day limit especially in warm weather! The raw chemical has a strong citrus type scent that some find pleasant and others dislike. Broken Link RemovedThe older non-bio chemicals are now banned in many countries and on farm sites, they shouldn't be deposited in public toilets either. Most were/are formaldehyde based and there is now evidence that this can be [HI]harmful to humans especially when the fumes are in a confined space[/HI].

.............I've been in lots of loos like that!

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
We're fairly new to motor homing but so far we haven't used any chemicals and don't have a SOG and it hasn't been a problem.:thumb:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Personally I prefer the S.O.G. system for 2 main reasons.

1/ There is NO smell in the room after the toilet has been used, providing the flapper valve is open when the toilet is in use.

2/ Although the product stinks when emptying I feel that the blue chemical makes the stink worse than using no chemicals, as with S,O,G.

Doug...

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Following on from my earlier post on this thread......in most cases the contents of the cassette are not in there long enough for the chemicals to have any effect.

If you are not using chemicals then you are wasting nothing by emptying more often.

Another plus I have found with the SOG is that because the cassette is permanently vented to the outside no pressure builds up and you don't get your own back when you open the flap.:Doh:

I am in no way connected and have no vested with the SOG company but just a very satisfied customer.:thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
we no longer use the chemicals just put a couple of capfuls of the cheapo washing liquid in the cassette.
although i do find it seems to empty better if you nip No2 into lumps rather than a full log:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The most eco friendly solution is to use no chemicals.

We havn't used chemicals for years now and have fitted a SOG extraction system.

[FONT=Comic [COLOR="Red"]Sans MS]In the long term it saves loads of cash as well as the planet and the bother of using chemicals.:thumb[/COLOR]:[/FONT]

I would like to question this,How long have you had the sog?In practice you probably paid around 100 quid for the sog (Unless ,like me made my own at zero cost :thumb:)That gives you ten quid a yr on bio/chemicals over a ten yr period.Now when I was using blue/green stuff I never used ten quids worth a yr,which is what you would need to do to make the SOG pay for its-self ---Not knocking the SOG or yourselves but it is a rather expensive solution to chemicals.I personally would not consider paying £100 to dump my s--t for what may well be only 4 / 5 yrs before changing the van :ROFLMAO::winky:
terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
seems to empty better if you nip No2 into lumps rather than a full log:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I hope you wash the scissors well before you start on the salad.

A man would have to be very careful during this operation.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
we no longer use the chemicals just put a couple of capfuls of the [HI]cheapo washing liquid [/HI]in the cassette.
although i do find it seems to empty better if you nip No2 into lumps rather than a full log:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Isn't that a chemical?:Doh:..............
..................at least you will have spotless clean logs:ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
we no longer use the chemicals just put a couple of capfuls of the cheapo washing liquid in the cassette.

eat more fibre, fruit and veg and you won't have logs.. :winky:

back on topic..

how long before European vans have a built in vent to the roof for the cassette, ( same as American motorhomes black waste tanks.. ) .. then no need for fan or chemicals..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
eat more fibre, fruit and veg and you won't have logs.. :winky:

back on topic..

how long before European vans have a built in vent to the roof for the cassette, ( same as American motorhomes black waste tanks.. ) .. then no need for fan or chemicals..

How does this work Jim?Is it just a case of fitting a venting pipe up to the roof?If so it could easily be done using a similar pipe extending from the cassette and up to the roof but without the fan :Smile:
terry

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I would like to question this,How long have you had the sog?In practice you probably paid around 100 quid for the sog (Unless ,like me made my own at zero cost :thumb:)That gives you ten quid a yr on bio/chemicals over a ten yr period.Now when I was using blue/green stuff I never used ten quids worth a yr,which is what you would need to do to make the SOG pay for its-self ---Not knocking the SOG or yourselves but it is a rather expensive solution to chemicals.I personally would not consider paying £100 to dump my s--t for what may well be only 4 / 5 yrs before changing the van :ROFLMAO::winky:
terry

Only 2 years so far & I agree if you are a clever $*+^&£ you can save even more making your own..........we were originally spending considerably more than £10 a year on chemicals but that depends on many factors affecting how much you use your on-board loo.......

Prior to getting the SOG we had started using the Thetford crystals at £8.99 for 10 sachets, each lasting approx 2 days so at around 100 days a year around £45 ........maybe not the cheapest but the most convenient and supposedly eco friendly.

When we change the van if I feel really tight fisted I could take the SOG with me to the new van:RollEyes:

My other point is that the SOG or it's diy version will save messing around with chemicals and save on storage space and time and is truly eco friendly.:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
How does this work Jim?Is it just a case of fitting a venting pipe up to the roof?If so it could easily be done using a similar pipe extending from the cassette and up to the roof but without the fan :Smile:
terry

basically yes...

I modified a SOG for a friend, re routed the exhaust pipe up to the roof.. main reason was his cassette door was next to the hab door..

to work without a fan it may need to be a larger dia pipe.. yanks use a solid PVC pipe of about 1 1/2" dia. . so there is plenty of natural draught..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Only 2 years so far & I agree if you are a clever $*+^&£ you can save even more making your own..........we were originally spending considerably more than £10 a year on chemicals but that depends on many factors affecting how much you use your on-board loo.......

Prior to getting the SOG we had started using the Thetford crystals at £8.99 for 10 sachets, each lasting approx 2 days so at around 100 days a year around £45 ........maybe not the cheapest but the most convenient and supposedly eco friendly.

When we change the van if I feel really tight fisted I could take the SOG with me to the new van:RollEyes:

My other point is that the SOG or it's diy version will save messing around with chemicals and save on storage space and time and is truly eco friendly.:thumb:
:Eeek::Doh:Not that eco friendly -what's wrong with bio stuff @ £2 a ltr The last blue or green stuff I used was about £6 for 1.5 ltr double strengh so you only needed a small amount.Must admit the SOG is easy and I find we empty it more often (should be ME empty it):winky:Your Sog will have paid for itself next yr then :winky:::bigsmile:

basically yes...

I modified a SOG for a friend, re routed the exhaust pipe up to the roof.. main reason was his cassette door was next to the hab door..

to work without a fan it may need to be a larger dia pipe.. yanks use a solid PVC pipe of about 1 1/2" dia. . so there is plenty of natural draught..
Was trying to work out if using a 3/4 ins overflow pipe would work and not bother with fan ::bigsmile:
terry

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
:Eeek::Doh:Not that eco friendly -what's wrong with bio stuff @ £2 a ltr The last blue or green stuff I used was about £6 for 1.5 ltr double strengh so you only needed a small amount.Must admit the SOG is easy and I find we empty it more often (should be ME empty it):winky:Your Sog will have paid for itself next yr then :winky:::bigsmile:

[HI]Was trying to work out if using a 3/4 ins overflow pipe would work and not bother with fan [/HI]::bigsmile:
terry

It would work to a point but you would not get negative pressure in the pan when the flap is open so pongs would not be sucked out and if the wind happened to be in the wrong direction you could get a BLOW BACK:Eeek:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It would work to a point but you would not get negative pressure in the pan when the flap is open so pongs would not be sucked out and if the wind happened to be in the wrong direction you could get a BLOW BACK:Eeek:

I will stick with the fan then :winky:
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

I agree, I think 3/4 " is probably too small to give a good draught without fan assistance ..

however, with the correct cowl fitted a strong wind would give a better suck making blowback unlikely .. and with shutter open the exhaust flow will increase..

I'm only speaking from experience of my RV system which held 50 gals of shit .. couldn't fault it and never ever any pongs in the toilet room..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I agree, I think 3/4 " is probably too small to give a good draught without fan assistance ..

however, with the correct cowl fitted a strong wind would give a better suck making blowback unlikely .. and with shutter open the exhaust flow will increase..

I'm only speaking from experience of my RV system which held 50 gals of shit .. couldn't fault it and never ever any pongs in the toilet room..

::bigsmile: A cowl may cost money ::bigsmile:I have all the bits for another SOG for free :ROFLMAO:
terry

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
terry

This is very true, diesel is also expencive, but its a whole lot more convieniant then pushin the MH your self.

Doug...

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
what is it

(We started using cheap bio washing liquid last year. Seems to work just as well as the expensive chemicals and as "green" as the "organic" versions.)

Can you put a name to this product or is it against the rules????

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back